Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psue_2007

getting a Silestone countertop

psue_2007
16 years ago

We've placed the order for a Silestone countertop in Rosa Grey (pretty dark - brown/black/grey/tan). Now, I'm wondering about a backsplash. What is usually done - a 4" backsplash in the same Silestone??? I told them I was undecided about that. I'm also considering a smallish, dark grey tile. Another possibility is stainless. I mostly need help with the Silestone backsplash decision. In some ways, I think it would look funny to go up 4" with Silestone, then do something different up to the cabinets. Can anyone help?

Comments (15)

• glad
    16 years ago

some people do both, but i would only do the 4" if you're just going to have paint above it.otherwise, tile down to the counter.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

I don't like the Silestone backsplashes because they come the same thickness as your counters...which is usually 3cm....that's just too chunky against the back...I'm going full tile all the way up....I've seen the backsplash done that way and it just didn't work for me....hth!
    Tara

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

They have silestone tiles, but they do not guarantee exact matches to the shade of your countertop. Apparently there can be slight shade differences in those materials.

Sue

• black327
    16 years ago

I agree with the other posters about the backsplash. I am doing a Silestone countertop but am having the tile backsplash come all the way down to meet the counter. I think it will be a cleaner look.

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

I also have Silestone but will have a tiled backsplash. Never have liked the 4" backsplash look.

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

We have Rosa Grey in our kitchen, too. I love it. I am adding some photos of it in our kitchen, because when I was planning the kitchen I loved seeing photos of how it looked in "real" kitchens.

We went with the 4" backsplash because I don't care about having a tiled backsplash. If you want a tiled backsplash, I'd skip the 4" one altogether.

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Actually, Tara, that info is incorrect. I do have the 4" backsplash and it is only 3/4" thick. I also have a subway tile above it, and it looks great to me. It's just a matter of personal preference. I didn't want to have tile meeting the countertop anywhere near the sink or cooktop because I didn't want grout near those areas.

• kitchenmom
    16 years ago

tonylinne--I don't want to get too OT, but can you tell me if your island counter is reinforced with steel rods? I am thinking about silestone for our island and was wondering if the overhang needed reinforcing.

TIA

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

To kitchenmom (TIA)
    Hopefully, I pasated this right. This was a former topic from this forum. I think it might help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: island overhang?

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Hey suska! Yours looks great! All of the silestone dealers in our area (I checked with 5) all include the backsplash that is the same depth as the counters you ordered...if you want it 3/4 inch you have to pay much more because they're not getting it from your scraps essentially...it's just important that people ask that up front because many have been caught at installation and saw the thinner backsplash at a home design center and assumed that's what they'd get...not many clarify that in most the cases unless you specify the thinner backsplash..you'll get your counter thickness...and you are never supposed to grout at the counter surface..you're supposed to use a special caulk there and grout all areas above it..the caulk will eventually crack if you do it at the counter level..

Let us know what you decide!!!
    Tara

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

Kitchenmom,

We do not have any metal supports in the island; it has a 12" overhang on three sides, which allows it to rest very solidly. In our old house we had a 12" overhang just on one side and we used steel brackets to support. Our installer/fabricator specified that we could use brackets if we wanted to, but they weren't necessary due to the 3-sided overhang being more balanced.

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

I found this posting that helps to clarify the need for an overhang.

Apparently engineered quartz can have up to 12" overhang provided it is mounted on a full 24" cabinet.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Overhangs

• suska6184
    16 years ago

Tara-
    I know about the caulk, but what I was referring to was you will still have grout lines between the tiles themselves that are adjacent to the counter. That's one reason why I prefer the additional 4 inch "protection" from spatters in those areas.

• nancy_jean
    16 years ago

BTW... I have Cambria countertops and Cambria backplash and the backsplash is 2cm... only the counter is 3cm........NJ

• kitchenmom
    16 years ago

Thanks Tonilynne! That's just the information I was looking for. I'm thinking of a silestone top for our island, which is 50"x120". It would have a 12" overhang for 76" of length with 36" of cabinets underneath. It would then also have a 10" overhang on one end. I can't use corbels because there are doors all along underneath (the island is made up of 24" cabinets backed by 12" cabinets). It sounds like I might get away w/o support. Yea!!!