Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt92174

Suggestions Needed - How to Handle Gap Behind Stove

matt92174
9 years ago

New house/kitchen is almost complete. Had the granite counters installed last Friday and the appliances delivered on Saturday. Went to slide new range into position and realized the gas pipe coming up through the floor was preventing the range from being fully pushed back. The builder will be having the pipe moved but that aside, I noticed the cooktop itself is an an inch or so wider on each side than the rest of the range as it's designed to overlap the counters which is nice as it eliminates that gap where the crumbs would usuall fall.

That being said, even after this gas pipe is relocated the range is only going to slide back to the point where the wider part of the cooktop hits the newly installed granite backsplash. While this initially seemed to be a problem I then realized that pushing it back any further would be impossible based on the design of the range. A quick measure shows the distance I'll be able to slide this back once the pipe is moved is right where it's designed to be recessed to (based on the design of the front of the range). This will however leave a gap between the back of the range and the wall about the depth of the granite backsplash - that is to say that had I known this and had the granite installers continued the backslash across the range space I'd be home free.

Since I didn't know this you now know why I'm here...

I'm going to check with the installer to see if they have any scrap pieces from my slab but according what they said during the install they used every last bit. If that's the case I don't think it would look terrible to use a section of flat black granite across there since the cooktop is black. My wife had an idea of putting stainless there in the same shape as the backsplash - maybe a piece of wood wrapped with stainless??? We plan to incorporate stainless in the backsplash area so I think this would look nice but I'd need to find someone who could do this type of fabrication.

I'm not the most creative person so I'd welcome any suggestion the creative types on here can offer.

Thank you in advance for your ideas and Happy Holidays!!

Comments (7)