Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marksydney

Experience with Water Filters

MarkSydney
11 years ago

I'd like to hear about people experiences with water filter systems?

How easy was installation, was it worth the purchase and anything else!

Cheers

Comments (10)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I'm interested in this as well. After having put in all new appliances, 4 new baths, and seeing what the water did to my tea kettle, coffee maker, etc over 2 years in this town - we definitely need/want a whole house water solution.

It's been recommended that we need a softener. The town water guy recommended a filtration system.

Just been too tied up with the renovation to deal, but the time is coming.

Please post what you find out - thanks!

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I had a very hard time finding any real info on the subject--I was looking at under-sink models. I ended up with a Bodyglove, and it should be installed in the next couple of days by the plumber. I wish I could help you more.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Do you mean under sink filters or whole house?

I put the linked GE under sink filter on my cleanup sink's cold water line. Got at the orange box store. The filters are supposed to last 6 months, but mine is almost a year old. Water still tastes great.

I'm very happy with it. It was cheap; water tastes great; and it was easy to install.

Here is a link that might be useful: My filter

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I'm looking for a whole house filtration system.

• cscow
    11 years ago

We have well water, so for us whole house system was worth it and needed to preserve our fixtures. Our set up is quite complex. We have a water softner, iron filter, carbon filter , and RO system. Our water is hard with a high iron count. We started by renting all of the equipment to make sure it worked to our standards before purchasing.

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

I'm looking for a system that filters out chlorine mainly. Other stuff would be nice. I have been investigating and it is VERY difficult to find an obvious solution.

There are several threads in the plumbing forum but problem is that the spammers (or those selling some product) seem to jump in quickly though I have learned from them as well.

We are on city water so I'm not as worried about toxins but still would like some of that coverage. Our water is also not that hard. Some of the water softener systems use salt so if you have high blood pressure, you need to be careful. if you have your own septic tank, that puts you in an entirely different category of requirements. One size does not fit all with these products.

Also, many aren't aware that you absorb a lot more chlorine and toxins from showering in the bathroom than you do in drinking water in the kitchen. Some say 80% more, some say 600% more, who knows?

But I've also heard about mold problems if you have a whole house water filter that filters chlorine - your water may stagnate in your pipes and cause mold.

Anything you tell me, pro or con about some water filter, I can tell you something fairly significant that could argue the other side.

I was tending toward Aquasana which is rather expensive but doesn't add salt and maintenance is somewhat easy. But then I heard about a calcium buildup problem that can affect fixtures with this system so still waiting to come to a conclusion.

One disappointing fact I read (not sure if it really is factual) is that filtration by reverse osmosis (RO) is the only type that effectively filters out pharmaceuticals, something the public water systems seem to be struggling a lot with especially since there are so many new pharmaceuticals invented every year.

So glad you posted here. Seems like the sharks are really out in the plumbing forum. I will be watching this thread hoping to learn more.

Let us know if you find something that is convincing you.

• MichaelsAd
    11 years ago

Well, depending on what you are concerned about in your water, a water filter may be the right thing for you, if you are just looking to filter out chlorine, bad odors and dirt from your water. If you are concerned about the contaminants you are unaware of, like pesticides, fossil fuels, fecal matter, pharmaceuticals, and so on, you want a reverse osmosis system. They will filter out everything harmful in your water, and are becoming more and more affordable. They are pretty easy to install yourself, took me about an hour. Just follow the instructions and you shouldn't have a problem.

Just to add, these are generally better than a whole house system, unless you get a reverse osmosis whole house system, as again, all you will be removing in chlorine and dirt. And if your worried about your shower/bath water, buy a shower filter, as they last for a year and are inexpensive compared to a whole house filter.

One suggestion though, if you go with reverse osmosis, go with a system that has multiple stages, and a DI resin stage to make the water alkaline, like the 6 stage system I have. Pure water, all the time. Here is a link to the system I purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reverse Osmosis System

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

I am looking at filtration as well. Multi-Pure gets good reviews and I was thinking of using that. My parents have reverse osmosis plus a softener and swear by it.

The website www.ewg.org allows you to search your area by zip code and then lists whats in your water and at what levels. I found this helpful.

Based on what I've read, the best way to ensure what you buy will work is to have a local filtration company come recommend and install. But like everything, that comes at a higher price.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

Here is a link to the website where you can see your local water tests. I spent a while looking around the home page trying to find this, so thought I would make it easier for everyone. You only have to enter your zip code. On the next page you will be able to choose your water source company.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ewg.org/tap-water/executive-summary

• athenab
    11 years ago

We put in a reverse osmosis under-the-sink system. It changed our life. Our water tasted awful before. But the reverse osmosis does take up a lot of cabinet space and to change it/clean it is a lot of work. For us it's worth it because of the quality of the water. I will be keeping it in my remodel. Can't live without it.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio