Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pip_gw

Finalizing the quartzite countertops! PICS - Input needed

pip
13 years ago

So the kitchen reno is underway, and I was hoping I could gather some opinions on our countertops. The kitchen is going to have creamy white cabinets, with espresso cabinets at the bar area. The flooring will be a light grey. Fixtures are classic but have a modern flair.

The first option is Madre Perla quartzite -- it has a grey undertone with some green in it. We found an onyx backsplash to go with it. It looks like this:

here's the full slab:

{{!gwi}}

The second one is White Princess - it is white with grey swirls. We will have to have it shipped because we cannot find it locally so it increases the cost slightly but we would go with a plain white subway backsplash and that would reduce the cost b/c the onyx backsplash is somewhat expensive. It looks like this (photo not great):

I like them both, but lean toward the White Princess. Spouse likes the Madre, complaining that the WP is "cold". We're at an impasse. Opinions and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!

Comments (22)

• momqs
    13 years ago

Our quartzite looks like the White Princess

Here are some pics installed - it is "cold" because it's white, but it's so dramatic that it has the gasp effect on people when they walk in the room.

We're doing a white carerra backsplash - I'll have photos on Thursday after it's grouted.

Good luck!

• pip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow, momqs, that is gorgeous! what is that called? It looks almost identical to the white princess. I can't wait to see the photos of the backsplash.

• archnista
    13 years ago

I prefer the Madre...I love that backsplash...and I think that "creamy" white cabinets would go better with the Madre, while "white" white cabinets would go better with the White Princess.

You stated your fixtures have a modern flair...no offense to anyone on this website, but Carerra Marble (which is kinda what the White Princess resembles) and white subway tile, while a classic combination, is repeated endlessly.....I think the Madre and the subway onyx is definitely a "modern flair" version of the marble and white subway tile....just my opinion....and the Madre is different and does have a slight more warmth to it!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Both are beautiful choices -- so you can't go wrong. I was really seduced, however, by the Madre Perla quartzite and onxy backspash. The colors are so warm and the madre perla looks gorgeous with the onxy. Somehow it seems more distinctive (in a good way) than the other combination.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Agree I don't think you can go wrong with either selection and it's hard to say for sure from pictures. I think all the colors will will work with your cabinets, but I lean toward the madre just so I could have that gorgeous onyx backsplash. That's a show stopper! I'd also rather spend my $ on an upgrade im material instead of shipping costs. Good luck and please keep us posted.

• adel97
    13 years ago

Wow, they are both gorgeous, you can't go wrong. I prefer the cleaner look of the White Princess but I'll take whichever slab you don't want! Seriously. I am in the Boston area and having a difficult time finding a quartzite slab that speaks to me. Where are these slabs from?

• dretutz
    13 years ago

I vote with archnista for a beautiful and not overdone selection. Very tasty. Very unusual and quite appealing. The onyx is incredible choice with the madre countertop.

• pip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the input! archnista, you confirmed exactly what my spouse has been saying all along. I think the fact that the madre and onyx backsplash is a little different that the typical white/white kitchen is the deciding factor.

sharonite, the slabs are from CA. Finding something that spoke to us took months, so don't give up hope!

• momqs
    13 years ago

pip - ours was called White Pearl, but closeups look exactly like the White Princess slabs you show (except that I have a few blue veins scattered around), so I would say that it's White Princess.

Good luck with your choice - both are great choices.

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

They are both so fantastic that I can't pick a favorite!

I happened to see some Princess White down here, one honed and one brushed. Though it was out of my price range I just *had* to take pictures of it because it was so gorgeous. The brushed finish really brought out the subtle colors in the quartzite (and it was absolutely divine to run one's hands over the slab!).

• blondelle
    13 years ago

Momqs, your countertop is just gorgeous. Have you had any issues wih staining or etching at all? LOVE your faucet too. A work of art!

Pip, I love both your choices but prefer the White Princess but not if it's much cooler toned than your cabinets.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi pip...

I agree with archnista..

I love both, however with creamy white cabs I prefer MP. Love the splash choice too.

My only concern is your floor color. You said it was light grey...That seems like it would go better with the WP.

Is the floor tile "written in stone" so to speak? Can it be changed to a warm color that would better match the MP if you go with that?

Hmmm.....

KA:)

• mamabear2010
    13 years ago

I'm no help! I love them both... but am leaning slightly to the Madre with the Onyx backsplash - that combo is gorgeous and so warm!

• cbrfd
    13 years ago

Hi Pip:

I absolutely love both of your choices and I really don't think you could wrong with either one. We have chosen Madre Perola for our own countertops (unfortunately our kitchen will not be done til January so I can't post any pictures for you) and our flooring will be limestone look porcelain tile (12 x 24") in a nutty colour called Noce, It looks fabulous with the countertop. Now backsplash..... yikes - that's another thing - but I do like your chose of BS. I also think that there is enough gray in the Madre Perola that a gray floor tile will also look great. Is your floor tile much darker than the countertop as my initial thought was that a medium gray might be nice to kind of ground the room, although your espresso cabinets will also help to do that. We're doing an island in a dark stain with a slightly creamy white cabinet. Haven't the finished kitchens on this site been such a wonderful help!

As much as I want the kitchen to look wonderful, I still need it to be practical. Were you able to get a sample to do stain tests on them? This may be the deciding factor for you - if one performs better than the other. On another post I stated that our sample Madre Perola performed great re red wine, balsamic vinegar, orange juice, mustard, etc. Do you know how the White Princess holds up? Anyway, like I said earlier I think both are absolutely beautiful choices and I look forward to hearing what you decide.

• momqs
    13 years ago

Thanks blondelle! My white princess seems to be bulletproof.

Our slab is polished but I may want to hone it one day, so I had the fabricator give me to small cutting boards for stain testing. One polished and one honed.

I've had NO etching or staining at all. I can put a hot pan or sizzling roast right onto it with no issue.

However..... because of the different textures of the crystals, etc.... the polished top is not smooth and shiny like a granite would be and the honed top is not dull like a marble would be. It has a combo of shiny and dull all the way through - it's a characteristic of the stone and I've learned to love it, but it threw me when they were first installed.

Try to see the stone as you would horizontally - I only every saw it vertically.

Something very cool about white princess - you can shine a flashlight and see right through it - it's so beautiful - more like a fun party trick, but it's something really unique about the stone.

The faucet is a Grohe Minta and I LOVE it - it's just a great faucet all around - a lot of thought was put into the design. I got a great price on it online - I found a 10% Grohe coupon also so it was fairly cheap for a Grohe.

• pip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

momqs, I'm glad to hear your White Princess is holding up. I talked at length with people about the durability of quartzite, and I feel pretty comfortable with it. We have two young kids and are haphazard cooks so we needed something that can withstand a beating.

amoraljardin, may I ask who manufacturers the flooring that you chose? I just found out today that the light gray flooring (12x24) is not in stock and will take eight weeks to come in, so we're going to have to pick another one. I am considering warmer tones (browns, beiges) since the Madre has warmer tones, as does the onyx backsplash. Gray would probably work, but now I'm open to other colors. Our wall colors will probably be a light gray and we have selected a light gray fabric for the banquette, so gray tiles might seem too monochromatic.

• cbrfd
    13 years ago

The tile is called Dolmen Noce. I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure of the manufacturer. When I've done a search for it online the colour doesn't look anything like the one that I have. I've posted my layout and colour scheme on the link below which shows the floor tile in the background of the 4th photo. Also, if you're interested I'd be happy to take a photo of just the tile only for you. The colour and pattern of the tile is much more subdued in person than shown on the websites. It has what they call a semi-polish. If you do a search for Sarana tile in Toronto, Ontario - this is the one that I have, but as mentioned, unfortunately it really doesn't give an accurate picture of it, but it really goes beautifully with the Madre Perola. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1120452523339.html

• cbrfd
    13 years ago

pip: I just realized that the floor tile in my photo is not showing a true colour. I'm going to try to take a photo tomorrow, not using a flash and maybe this will help.

So sorry that your original choice for your floor tile is going to take 8 weeks to come in, but I think going with a warmer tone on the floor is a great idea. I do really love your backsplash and your colour scheme is sounding great. By any chance, do you know the manufacturer of the backsplash?

• pip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

amoraljardin, I don't know the manufacturer of the onxy backsplash but I am returning to the tile store on Saturday to look for flooring so I will ask.

I really like your color scheme and tile choice. I think your choices will look beautiful with the MP.

I am on the search this weekend to find flooring. The backsplash is way over budget so we have to find flooring that is under budget, which is always fun :)

• cbrfd
    13 years ago

Thanks pip. I found a backsplash that I thought I was crazy about, but when I got it home it was much darker than I wanted. Back to the drawing board, LOL. Good luck with your search for flooring!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Any updates on this thread?

Also, does quartzite feel very cool to the touch...and is it comfortable to lean on? Thanks in advance :)