Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Vintage, low-budget, progress pics:

There are several current threads that address styles that I've used in my low-budget, DIY remodel, including two colors of cabinetry, stainless apron sink, off-white inset cabinetry, and recently there was a 1920's 'Design Around This' thread that I thoroughly enjoyed. I wanted a homey, vintage-style, farm kitchen, that looked as if it had been added piecemeal through the decades, painted by hand, and updated, not gutted.

I've incorporated used, salvaged and inexpensive unfinished materials in the remodel, which is more of a facelift, keeping as much of the old cabinetry as possible, re-using doors and drawers. We'd found some great deals on craigslist and ebay, including a discontinued faucet from a showroom display. The hood is DIY, using an old feed bin from the barn. The countertops around the sink and stove are epoxy resin lab-tops from an old school, and the island was a $100 used table, found on craigslist.

Not including a new (low-end) fridge and microwave, the cost so far, without flooring, is around $3000. If you want to start at the beginning, here's a link to my kitchen album. Or, you can go to the end, and scroll backward.

Here are a few pictures, going around the room:

View from the dining room. Not sure if I'm keeping the coffee grinder here--it's huge, but I love it:

ebay sink, faucets and sprayer:

With cutting board:

Old stove used for storage. It's in the dining room, my next project:

Except for the ceiling trim and flooring, and maybe some short curtains on the glass cabinets, the kitchen is finished. I started posting my kitchen progress in the Smaller Homes forum, and with encouragement from one of my friends there, I've decided to tell the rest of my story.

Some of you who have looked through my kitchen album may have noticed that last October (2010) I stopped referring to my husband, and started talking about having help from my father, BIL, and brother. Three weeks into our kitchen remodel, my wonderful husband of 32 years, suffered a massive, fatal heart attack. It was totally unexpected--in September he had been given medical clearance form his doctor to apply for his private pilot's license. We were high school sweethearts--still happily married and best friends.

I was left reeling, with my life turned upside down, and the kitchen torn apart. Family members stepped up and volunteered, but I realized early on that if I wanted the kitchen that I had envisioned, I'd have to learn to do it myself. I pestered my father, FIL, brother and BIL with dozens of questions, and with their help and encouragement, I've ploughed ahead, sometimes stepping back and starting over, asking for help when I had to have it, but making steady progress. Working on the kitchen has been therapy for me, helping me to cope with my desperation and devastation.

I never wanted the kitchen remodel threads to be about my loss--I've had plenty of support from family and friends, and from my GW Smaller Homes friends, too. I've learned so much from the Kitchens Forum, and many times read GW threads into the wee hours of the morning, when I couldn't sleep.

Since my kitchen is essentially finished, I want to say thank you to you all--your help and encouragement have been invaluable. If anyone has questions about my kitchen, I'd be happy to answer them and provide more information. You can also read my kitchen thread in the Smaller Homes forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen thread in Smaller Homes

Comments (49)

• enduring
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful!!!Love it!!!You're inspiring!!!

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

As I started reading your message and looking at the pictures, the word "love" repeatedly came to mind, and the phrase "knocked my socks off!" I am in awe and you should be so proud of yourself that you have done this, not hired it out, but actually done this.

So that's what I was thinking and then I read the bit about your husband's shocking death; while what I initially thought is still there, is still valid, it takes on a whole different cast in light of your world being turned upside-down, inside-out.

In my own way I do understand channeling depression, shock and grief into other fora, and I so, so hope that these past thirteen months have helped, and that your incredible kitchen's evolution has helped, too.

Thank you for sharing your kitchen and your story!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Mama, I'm sorry to hear about your lose. I have creativity and budget envy. You have things in your $3K kitchen face lift/remodel that most people dream of:
    Marble topped island
    marble counter tops
    runnels
    custom range hood (I would have never known or believed that came from the barn without looking at your album)
    prep sink
    large apron sink
    inset cabs
    also, it looks like you have wainscotting for backsplash.

All for $3K, WoW! You're a testament that budget is not a showstopper, if you really want to get it done, you'll get it done. Great job!

• oldhouse1
    12 years ago

mama goose, I have seen a glimpse of your kitchen in previous posts and have admired your ingenuity. You appeared to be having so much fun. I had no idea that you had met with such tragedy and my admiration for you is even more so. I'm so sorry for your loss but am so happy that you had family supporting you through your grief and kitchen transformation. I love your kitchen even more. I hope you continue to enjoy your new kitchen and wish you happy days ahead.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

I LOVE it! I love old homes and it's wonderful that you were able to keep so much!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

First, I just want to give you a hug. I am so glad that your family pulled together to help you with your project. I hoped it helped everyone in the healing process. I bet your husband would be proud if he saw what you all pulled off.

Your kitchen is lovely, no matter who did it, but the fact that it was DIY on such a budget makes it even more so. I love everything about it and am still stunned you guys made that hood! Your spices and display cabs fit in beautifully. It is like functional art. I love the beverage sink bs, the schoolhouse cabs and counters, all your vintage touches with the accessories and basically, EVERYTHING!

This kitchen is done exactly right and is so much nicer than the ones you see in a showroom. This has style, warmth, ingenuity and love built into it.

• sochi
    12 years ago

mama goose, that is a great kitchen! I'm awed at your resourcefulness and your DIY/budgetary skills. Your kitchen is full of warmth, character and interest. And I love that old stove. Congratulations on a job incredibly well done.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Mommagoose, it's all so lovely! I love the little shelf under the wall cabinets with the jars of goods. I love your wall of glass doored cabinets and how nicely everything is stored and shelved. I love the open shelf on the side area of range. And, I really like the little wood side table at your island that adds just the right amount of character and charm while blending the floor. The color that shows on my screen as a vintage yellow/green/? is perfect. Great job!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

WOW! You *made* that vent hood? What a warm and welcoming kitchen. I would absolutely love to come and have a cup of coffee there. I don't think I can put into words how much I adore this space!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Dear Mama Goose,

Thank you for sharing your utterly charming
    kitchen with us.
    What a warm and nurturing space
    for the happier days that lie ahead.
    You have provided much to inspire us with, all around.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

When I first came across the story of your lab countertops and cabinets from an old school, you had me. I've searched out your posts to follow your progress, and every thread has been a delight. I love your resourcefulness and creativity, and your determination to arrive at a kitchen with a character and warmth that is unique to you. I think it's terrific.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I hope that your wonderful accomplishments with your home will bring you strength and a sense of peace. You probably won't ever know how many folks you have inspired...you certainly have inspired me.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Wow! Really nice. I hope this new kitchen is the start of something wonderful and peaceful for you - your DH would be proud and want you to enjoy it.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen. The vent hood is amazing!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It'a interesting though, how from grief and pain, such wonderful things can come. It seems as if this kitchen project was just what you needed. And it turned out beautifully. Thanks for sharing your story and your photos. You truly are an inspiration.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Mamma_goose, First I want to say how sorry I am for your loss. Your husband would be so proud of you finishing their dream doing the kitchen yourself with the help of those that love you. I love the vintage style and you can see that the kitchen was created with love and looks so cozy and adorable. I love that range hood and your counters. I love the added color on the counter with your accessories. I love the two colors of cabinets you used and the hardware. I love that vintage stove.

That is amazing you were able to renovate a kitchen that looks so great with only $3,000! You are amazing and I am glad I saw this post to see the pictures and hear your story where you wanted the progress to be about your kitchen and now you were ready to share since you are mostly finished.

Sending you cyber hugs of congratulations and cyber hugs for sympathy of losing your best friend who you and he were blessed to be with one another so in love all these years. He is so proud of you and is at peace knowing how resourceful, wonderful and hardworking his wife is to reach her goals and his.

(((( HUGS )))))

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for your heartwarming comments and good wishes. I'm overwhelmed and I'm so happy that you like the kitchen!

I was very lucky--my husband always wanted the correct tool for every job, and we had almost all of the materials purchased before I started removing sheetrock. We've always been DIY'ers, and had a stockpile of scrap wood left over from previous projects, which saved me money and time. Although I hadn't needed to learn to use the power tools, except for the tile saw, I knew the basics from helping my husband, and also from being raised by DIY parents.

I forgot to add in the cost of the small sink and cabinet adjacent to the kitchen--it was ap. $300, and worth every penny while my kitchen sink was out of commission for more than a month.

The green cabinets are 'Dried Hydrangea', a golden-green.

I really just 'upholstered' the feed bin/stove hood. After I figured out a way to move the stove to a wall where we could vent it outside, I had a light-bulb moment when I realized that the old bin was the perfect shape for a barrel hood. I think I held by breath until I took the exact measurement, and knew it would work.

Thank you all again for your kindness.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Very impressive the way you did the hood - and everything! Congrats to you - it all looks great!

• User
    12 years ago

Your story is heartwarming and your kitchen is a testament to the love of your life and your home. Thank you for sharing such a remarkable journey.c

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

Dear Mama Goose,

I have been following your renovation since last summer. In your post above you wrote: "I wanted a homey, vintage-style, farm kitchen, that looked as if it had been added piecemeal through the decades, painted by hand, and updated, not gutted." You succeeded in that and much more. Such a welcoming place!

After reading this post I went back to read your posts from last year. In one of the early posts about the planned kitchen renovation you mention having at least monthly gatherings of 20 or so folks. Your finished kitchen looks like the perfect place to prepare those meals. Have you had one of those gatherings yet?

Please accept my belated condolences on the death of your husband and best friend. Thank you for telling us about the support you have. Your resilience shines through in the work you have done on the kitchen. And your generosity is apparent in your sharing it with us. Thank you!

I am looking forward to reading about the evolution of the wonderful old range into storage.

OG

• hlove
    12 years ago

I did not know about your loss and am so sorry. As I've said in your other thread, I am in awe of you and absolutely adore your kitchen! Now that I know some of your story, I can just see and feel the love for your husband in all of your hard work. It is truly a lovely space that no doubt your husband would be supremely proud of you for creating.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I don't even know where to start -- so many fantastic, beautiful touches.
    The coffee grinder, too cool.
    The glass door uppers & especially what is in those cabs. I don't usually like the glass fronts because what is stored in them clashes or is too messy but you've made it stunning with the contents!
    Breadbox, rolling pin, the little open shelves here and there.
    Artistic, unique, comfortable, functional.
    And clearly a lot of love in that space.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Tracy

• taggie
    12 years ago

mama_goose, what a beautiful kitchen. All the more so as it is your own your own creation and a labor of love and healing.

So many things to admire. My personal favorite part is the open shelving with the colorful bowls beside the sink. They are just the perfect colors to tie the room together! You have a lovely sense of style.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Just wonderful earthy elements that pay homage to your husband, home, family, and of course, you. I especially love all the repurposing and resourcefulness. There is much inspiration to be found through you... many many congratulations on such a beautiful personal space.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen.
    May your memories of your best friend fill the space
    as you have done with your extraordinary talents.
    There is no doubt he is looking from heaven proud of your
    hardwork, determination and creativity.
    I imagine you miss him very much.
    Truly sorry for your loss.
    ~boxer

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all--your responses have made me feel as if I'm held in a great big group hug.

Thanksgiving dinner was here, in my new kitchen!

My husband was the eldest child in his family, as am I in mine, so it was natural that our home became the gathering place for both families, who have been neighbors, friends, and sometimes enemies (long ago), for generations. (We're the fourth, the only marriage, but my husband's great-uncle once had a big crush on my grandmother.) My 82-yr old FIL is widowed, too, and always comes to our Monthly Family Dinners, which we've continued to have here, even without a kitchen sink (last month). He and my husband were very close, and other than my children, he is my closest link--he'll always be part of our family.

We planned the layout of the kitchen so that the traffic flows from the living room, to the buffet counter (all the large appliances are on the other side of the kitchen), to the new family dining room (currently work/tool room), where there is space for three folding tables, to seat 20-24. The closets in that room were planned to store all the tables and folding chairs. Here's a link to the addition, which can be converted to an in-law efficiency apartment, with a few hundred dollars and a couple of days time.

It's been a huge encouragement for me each month, for everyone to come in and exclaim over the newest project.

While the kitchen has been in transition, the tables are set up in the LR, as they were before we built the addition. It means moving furniture each month, so I'm looking forward to clearing out the new room, again.

Upstairs, over the addition is an unfinished attic/guest room which will eventually accommodate a young family or a bunch of grandkids for sleepovers.

By the time I get the flooring kitchen/dining room flooring finished, I hope to have made some progress on the guest room. I'll post an update in my final kitchen reveal.

Thank you, more than I can express.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Super job, one of my favorite kitchens. I love the green the shelves, the nooks and crannies, the brackets, the rolling pin over the doorway, the range hood, and your sink.

I'm sorry for your loss, and inspired by your strength.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

What white paint color and manufacturer did you use since it is so perfect for your vintage kitchen? I am always checking out white paint colors to see how they look in my kitchen. Again, you succeeded in creating a beautiful vintage kitchen at an amazing budget cost.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I am so sorry for your sudden and heart-freezing loss.
    In another way, I understand being completely on your own when it never entered your mind you'd be handling life itself solo. You are very blessed to have such great family nearby. I can't imagine that help.

All that said, yes, you both created an amazing kitchen. I could have quoted your paragraph about having all the tools and materials. A blessing in itself. Mine had taken all the walls and drywall down himself, so I got to skip that step. It's getting it back together that's my slow-goings.

Enjoy your kitchen and enjoy all the beautiful reminiscing you can do together.

Love,
    Christine

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

One of my new favorites, as well. That was before I read your story. Now, I admire your wonderful kitchen but am also so inspired by it! If you can do all THAT in the face of your enormous tragedy, what can't you do? Any of us?

I like to think of myself as a "can-do" gal but now I will hold myself to a much, much higher standard--you and yours.

The hood, the counters, the island with pretty marble, and those gorgeous glass cabinets...all so perfect. And the cabinet color!!! Just right. You have an incredible eye to be able to cobble all of this together.

Bravo and thank you for sharing your story!

• melaska
    12 years ago

Mama_goose,

My heart goes out to you...I greatly admire your strong spirit and the beautiful homey kitchen you built through your grief.

I understand when you say you didn't want this to be about your loss. Ive shared on here about the loss of. Our 24 year old son 2.5 years ago. I dread losing my hubby of 34 years.

I'm glad you shared...it helps to know how otherss are dealing with their loss. Just knowing we will see our loved ones again takes some of the sting out of the pain.

I smiled when I went through your photos...that's how I can tell its a kitchen I want as part of my inspiration :)

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I love so much about your kitchen! The yummy green cabinets, the way you mixed white cabinets and white appliances together with the cheery green, the jars on the shelf below your upper cab, the rolling pin that serves as a paper towel holder (clever!), the colorful pottery on the shelf next to your sink, the wonderful green bread box (antique?), the glass doored cabs and all that's displayed within them, and that HOOD, oh, my, that hood is incredible! There's so much love in your kitchen, it's palpable. Your kitchen is an homage to all that you and your husband shared for so many years (my deepest sympathy to you).

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Dear Mama Goose,
    I've always admired your ingenuity and creativity over the past years and looked forward to each new posting. The island, your cabs, layout, hood, and countertops--blew me away. But I had no idea what you were going through. My deepest condolences for the loss of your dear husband and best friend. Your courage and determination are such an inspiration! I'm so thankful you have family and friends to help you through this.

Your kitchen means so much more knowing the story behind it. You said you wanted a vintage kitchen formed over time--you certainly achieved that in spades. Congratulations, and I hope that you will enjoy you kitchen and home for many more years to come. Blessings to you!

• farmhousegirl
    12 years ago

Absolutely adorable!! I love all the nooks and crannies, paper towel holder, and wonderful row of glass uppers! I love the green and cream combo! (What paint color is the green?) Congrats! I can't believe you managed this on a 3k budget. Did you do your own labor?

• celineike
    12 years ago

wow! so cute! and so many fun details!
    enjoy!!!

• deedles
    12 years ago

What a beautiful, beautiful kitchen! I'm new to the forums but I also want to add my condolences and hugs to you. God Bless and keep you, my dear.

I notice the bread box, is it? Is that one of those metal ones by chance? I found one years ago and never really had the right application in my current kitchen.. but now you've given me a great idea! Thank you. Also, the range hood is unreal. Phenomenal. Just such a wonderful, therapeutic space... it feels almost 'spa-like' if that's possible. Lovely.

• katieob
    12 years ago

Congrats to you on a wonderful, cozy, and comforting kitchen.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. You should be proud of yourself.
    Way to go!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, so many of you who have posted have been my inspirations--I don't post a lot, but I've followed your progress and admired your kitchens (and your abilities to communicate).

The paint on the kitchen cabinets is Valspar Kitchen and Bath, a budget brand from Lowe's. I used Adobe White for the off-white cabinets. It's a couple of shades lighter than the cream color we'd had for 17 years. The green is Dried Hydrangea. I used Kilz primer, after cleaning them with trisodium phophate. The paint loses some of its gloss as it cures, and seems to be durable--I haven't used a scrubby on it, but splats and spills wipe off easily (think homemade cranberry relish and chocolate chip cake batter).

The bread box is vintage, probably from the 30's-40's. I think it said 'wheatheart,' but the finish was too far gone to save. I spray painted it, added a $1.00 pull from the bargain bin, and used decal letters from a local sign shop, $5.00. LOL, it's the perfect size for the folded brown paper bags that I re-use.

My family members are all capable DIY'ers. My husband was in the medical imaging field, but a home-improvement/automotive/farmer-type 'jack of all trades'. The refrigerator alcove was the last project that he and I completed together. After my husband died, my father helped set up and reinforce the vintage base cabinet, built and sheet rocked the new header, moved some electrical outlets in the dividing wall, and installed an outlet for the hood. He helped me patch in new ceiling tiles, where the old soffit had been. Most importantly, he (and my BIL) has been there to patiently answer every 'duh' question I came up with. My BIL cut and glued the plywood bases for the marble counter, cut the hood vent hole and angle-iron with his grinder, cut the 2x10 hood supports with his belt saw, and helped me mount the hood. He cut the holes for the faucets and sprayer and helped install the sink drain. He also used his biscuit joiner for a couple of wide shelves (and called me every time he went to the hardware store, in case I needed anything). My brother used his grinder to cut the lab-top slabs, making as many cuts as I wanted, until I was happy. A neighbor and one of his employees stopped by on the way to work one morning and lifted the huge, vintage upper cabinet onto the base for me. I think I did everything else, sometimes with my daughters holding up pieces of trim. If I could do things myself, I did. My neighbors don't even blink when they see me on the roof.

Oh, I hired an electrician to move several difficult outlets and a light fixture, when my father wasn't feeling well--I'm not brave/desperate enough to touch electrical work.

melaska, I'm so sorry about your son. There are losses that we can eventually accept and make peace with--loss of grandparents, parents, even a spouse, but to lose a child, especially one who was just starting his adult life, must be so heart-wrenching. Hugs to you and your family.

Blessings and gratitude to every one of you for taking time to respond to my loss and my kitchen projects.

• cookingofjoy
    12 years ago

mama goose, I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I'm glad you've found support through your family.

I'm also so impressed with your work! I loved going through your photos for inspiration. We have a half-finished kitchen at this point, and I loved seeing how you used the school cabinets. We found three original base cabinets in the garage, and I'm hoping to turn them into a sort of sideboard. I'm going to have to go back and see how you did the counters. The feature I'm most curious about, though, is the cup/spice rack under the cabinets. I've wanted that exact thing! Is there a type of molding that you used? Any tips you could share?

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I've seen your pics before and I've loved watching your progress. I was blown away by the fact that you MADE that amazing range hood. There are so many wonderful homey touches that make this one of the most uniquely beautiful kitchens I've ever seen here. I would have have imagined that you were going through such grief and pain over the loss of your dear husband. May his spirit and your love imbue your kitchen and create years and years of happy memories there.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Mamma_Goose, I will have to check out Valspar's Kitchen and Bath Paint in the Adobe White for the off-white cabinets I am doing. I keep going back and forth among a few whites I chose so maybe your white or another poster used Behr's Powered White will work for me. I am going to pick up paint chips tomorrow. Thank you! I love the color in the picture on your cabinets since it is so creamy but still white.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

What a wonderful result. It's the kind of kitchen you want to cook in. I think that everything just tastes better coming out of this kind of kitchen. Congratulations on a job very well done.

I don't want to disregard your wishes but I wanted to express my deepest sympathies on your loss.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

mamma goose, I am so drawn to your kitchen! I envision great cups of tea and conversation. You really did a fabulous job!! I too am so sorry for your loss, but as a DYI kind of girl know that busy hands help heal the heart. You are an inspiration to all. Thank you so much for posting and telling us your journey, you would be shocked at how many people you just helped.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your compliments--I'm so happy that you appreciate my kitchen, and I am very touched by your kindness.

Since I love spreading the DIY news, I'll share some info one the cup-shelf project:
    I've mentioned using scrap lumber, left over from other projects--everything was scrap! I ripped the shelf and support pieces from a 1x12 board, and used a 1/4" cove bit in the router, to trim the bottom edge of the support piece.
    The towel holder corbels and spice shelf are attached to support pieces, which are screwed into the wall studs, parallel to the counter. The pieces are all connected. All the screw holes were countersunk and filled. Here's a close-up showing how everything fits together:

The shelf sits on top of, and is screwed into, the long support piece, and there's a screw that goes through the corbel into the shelf, toward the front. LOL, at this distance you can see the seam where the two corbel pieces are joined. Oh, well, it adds character ;). The corbels are cut on the same upper curve as the supports for the old school cabinet, across the room. They're 1.5" wide, compared to 3 inches on the school cabinets.

This pic is of the underside of the corner, with a scarf/miter joint. Each piece is cut on 45 degrees, then fitted together and nailed, making a stronger joint than a butted joint. It's actually backwards, because my miter saw 'reclines' in only one direction, and I didn't want to cut the angles by hand. One could also use a biscuit/slot to add strength.

This is the support for the towel holder:

The corbels are attached to either side of the 'placket', which is screwed into studs. The window used to be wider, so there's an extra stud in that area. The corbels were then attached to the cabinets.

The underside of a cabinet, showing how the corbel is attached--you can see the screw holes:

Hope this helps!

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

mama_goose --

I had been following your madly (in a good way) ingenious creation of an idiosyncratic masterpiece on Smaller Homes, but somehow without registering your enormous loss.

I trust that having the kitchen project to throw yourself into has been a help in getting through a really tough period. A lesser woman would have taken complete advantage of family helpfulness to mourn in her boudoir. No one would have blamed her, but the tack you decided to take seems to me to be brilliant for your psyche as well as in its outcome.

You absolutely rock.

Regards. hbk

PS. Yes, I am going to steal your shelf idea. Maybe you should be patenting some of these things.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hbk, Thank you! My Smaller Homes friends were kind and caring, and gave me the space I needed to tell the story in my own time.

Anyone is welcome to use my ideas in his/her own kitchen. I've spent hours looking at photos on the net, taking 'a little of this and a little of that,' so I can't take credit for anything. I love passing along info that will help another DIY'er, or help someone illustrate a point to a contractor. As I said on another post--learning to use power tools in empowering!

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

As I scrolled through the pictures my smile grew. This is a kitchen I could cozy up in and watch you cook with a cup of tea in hand.

I am sorry for your loss. You are an amazing woman!

• melaska
    12 years ago

mama_goose,

Thank you for your kindness. I can't imagine what you are going through with the loss of your dear husband - I think about what would be worse all the time. (I put the wrong age - our son was 27 with a wife & 3 babies). We are in our 'twilight' years & are so close that I think it would kill me more to lose my hubby. But, then I think about the horror of losing our son so I truly cannot say.

I really enjoy reading the story of your lovely kitchen. Thank you for sharing it with us - it's truly an honor to be welcomed into your home! :) Thank you.

• cookingofjoy
    12 years ago

mama goose - thank you for the fantastic pictures! (I wanted to mention that I kept studying the corbel joint to see what you meant - it really is not visible.) Last night when searching here I found another thread on shelves and you'd posted a link to inspiration kitchens, and I have many of the same kitchens in my file.
    Your shelf is perfect, and your directions make me think I could actually do it! (though probably with some trim and no router :)

• littlealexa
    12 years ago

Mama_Goose, first off, I am really sorry for your loss. I'm also married to my high school sweetheart and I just would be devastated. I know your husband would be proud of you as you are an amazing woman!!!

Your kitchen is one that I greatly admire as both hubby and I are DIYers. Everytime I look at it I see cozy, loving, and oh so much awesome vintage details. Thanks so much for taking us on your journey as you struggled with your loss and yet shared DIY tips for us.

You are truly inspiring and amazing!!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone--your kindness is still warming my heart.

I added pictures of my quirky kitchen to the 2nd 'Modest/Quirky' thread. It's been gone too long to return to the top, but if anyone is searching, it's still available. And, I'd like to encourage those with unusual kitchens to add their own pictures.

Seeking images of modest or quirky kitchens...

More on Modest & Quirky Kitchens

Enjoy!