Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kailuamom_gw

I'm Back!!!!

kailuamom
11 years ago

Greetings -

About six years ago, you walked me through a kitchen remodel and then listened to me whine, when I moved before ever cooking in it. It really broke my heart!

You were a tremendous help, I learned so much that....I'm ready to do it again.

This time it's a little different though, DH and I have purchased a tiny country house with tons of character, little space and we are low on cash. the kitchen has the original 1961 appliances which are really my first priority to change.

This is what brings me here today.

I would prefer to buy appliances now, while I'm still in the planning stages, as I'm not comfortable cooking on the electric coil stove and 50 year old oven with broken hinges. However, If I buy what will fit in the cabinets, I can't get appliances that I want.

I don't want to shortchange my planning time because I need a stove... BTW we are only spending weekends at the house now, so not doing a ton of cooking and no baking. (I bought a portable induction burner, which is what I use the most).

Right now there is a wall oven / cooktop which is my preferred configuration. The cooktop is small four burner and the oven is 27". These are smaller than I would like.

Because the kitchen is small, I'm thinking of going with a freestanding range. Then I can have a bigger oven. Still a small stove though :-0

What do you think of cutting apart the cabinets where the cooktop is now and sticking a freestanding range in the spot until we start the remodel in the spring? Any other ideas on how to manage now and transition for later?

It's really sad, the cabinets are a lovely solid wood. However, the configuration isn't practical for max storage in such a small space. I will need LOTS of drawers.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• poohpup
    11 years ago

If it were me, I'd be looking on Craig's List for something inexpensive that would make do until I was able to remodel. I'd hate to spend money on appliances that were a compromise for the new kitchen. You can always relist the used appliances on Craig's List once you're done with them.

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - I don't think that any oven that is sold now will fit my oven hole as is. (the existing hole is like 25 inches)

For now, I'm using a toaster oven and hotplate.

If I cut out the cabinet that currently holds the cooktop, I can buy and install the appliance that I will be happy with in the new kitchen (thinking the Electrolux freestanding range). I'm curious if anyone has done something like that?

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

The GE Advantium 240V speed oven fits a 25 1/4" wide X 17 1/2" tall rough opening.
    Great space for a redo by the way.
    Do you have to have the washer and dryer where they are until the redo? That would do for a 30" used stove.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

What do you think of cutting apart the cabinets where the cooktop is now and sticking a freestanding range in the spot until we start the remodel in the spring?

Sounds like a perfectly fine idea to me.

Cannot quite see the cooktop in that picture -- is it between the fridge and ovens? Do you have to give up anything essential to the present kitchen's function when you cut up that cabinet?

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ppbenn - GREAT IDEA! As it is now, we don't have the washer and dryer in that space at all. This picture is from the listing. Right now, I'm using the space as a closet for all of our tools and cleaning gear as we work on the house. We could put a free standing range there. I'm just wondering if we have enough juice for the electrics in that space.....

Angie DIY - the cooktop is between the oven and fridge. Nothing happening in that lower cabinet aside from storing a few pots and pans.

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Since it's an older home you'll probably want to check into the electric whether for the range to go where the cooktop is or over where the washer is, you may need to bring the outlet up to today's code. When we replaced our gas range 2 years ago the installer wouldn't put it in until a new gas valve was put in (the old one was 28 years old or less, we don't know if it was original to the house since we'd only bought the house the year before).

When we purchased the range the clerk told us that may be a possibility (and became a reality when they brought the stove and then wouldn't hook it up until a new valve was installed), added 152.00 to the price and a few days delay until someone else could come out but oh well. The valve installer mentioned that had we changed to an electric stove we would have needed a new outlet anyways so you might want to look into it and see what's needed beforehand.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Because the kitchen is small, I'm thinking of going with a freestanding range. Then I can have a bigger oven. Still a small stove though :-0

I am not sure what you mean by that?

• kailuamom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux - We are only looking at a 30" wide freestanding range. From my early research, that's four hobs. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I've seen so far.

I would prefer a 36" separate cooktop and wall oven, but really don't think it would be the best use of space, and the oven capacity would be small.

DH seems to believe that because we will be using induction, I will need fewer burners/hobs. However, he doesn't cook, so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

No comments about your dilemma, but I just wanted to say your kitchen reminds me so much of the Brady Bunch! Just missing the avacado fridge! Good luck! :)