Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
many_hats

Finished in time for holiday entertaining!

many_hats
16 years ago

We're finally close enough to be able to post 'finished' photos. Truth-be-told there are still some baseboards to add as well as the vacpan but it's been functional since July and I had some time today so I wanted to post some photos. I know how much I appreciated all the photos and advice when I started planning.

I cannot say enough good things about this site and the members who give so freely of their time and talents. Without this site I wouldn't have known about so many things. And another big thank you to alku05 for the Never-MT (which you cannot get in Canada).

Here's a before and an after photo. There are more before, during and after photos that I'll attach a link to (in Shutterfly). If you view them in slideshow, you can select 'Options' at the top right and control speed and can check off the boxes to show titles and captions if desired.

In this before photo, the galley rail along the tops of the cabinets has already been removed and the garden window has been installed. (I didn't think to take pictures until that point!)

{{gwi:1980620}}

...and here's the after photo

{{gwi:1980621}}

Here's a link to the other photos in Shutterfly:

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos

Comments (32)

• malhgold
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Lovely job!!! It's a very calming kitchen. I love the way all the colors complement eachother and how the textures play off of eachother. The rug looks great and adds a very nice pattern to the mix. You did a great job accessorizing.

• chmpgntst
    16 years ago

Very nice! I love the creamy cabinets. The overall look is so clean and streamlined, but very warm.

Can you share the details? Especially the backsplash -- looks very cool!

Amy

• User
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I love the timeless look of your kitchen. The creamy colors and granite are a great combination. Love your hardware choice, too. Thanks for posting!

• huango
    16 years ago

I love love the transformation!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

That should have read creamy cabs!

• User
    16 years ago

It looks awesome, my favorite style kitchen. What are those tiles? Do they happen to be Jerusalem Gold marble? I have been looking for photos.

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Very beautiful transformation!!!! I love your granite : ) What's the name, it goes so well.
    I also just purchased an oven just like yours.........do you like it?
    Enjoy and show them off this Christmas.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Many

Lovely kitchen, nicely appointed, great layout & materials used

Enjoy

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. We were going for a calm, warm and inviting look.

chmpgnst and cleo 2007--The backsplash is Tierra Sol and it's tumbled travertine in mini tiles; they're about 3/4 inch tall and range up to 3 inches in length. It was about $15 sq/ft and we didn't need all that much. It was enhanced with oil-based enhancer (Stone Tech Enhancer Pro) and I was actually surprised at how little it changed the color. The store sample (same grout and enhancer) looked much more yellow even in our own kitchen and I was initially very disappointed in how 'brown' it turned out. But it still picks up the color in the granite and it has a bit more contrast against the cabinets so now I like it. There's a close-up photo of it in the link in the Finished album. The cabs are a shaker-esque style; the edges are all rounded. They were made by a local cabinetmaker who does everything custom. Price was same or less than 3 major cabinet lines we priced. The "paint" is actually a lacquer (more durable I'm told) and a brushed glaze with 2 topcoat layers and it's tinted to Ben Moore Vanilla Ice Cream paint color.

saskatchewan girl--We're almost neighbours (I'm in Alberta)! The granite is New Venetian Gold. It's 3cm on the counters and 2cm on the garden ledge and it's a pencil edge profile. It has golds/browns/black/cream colors in it--and of course lots of garnets. I love it.

I'll post a couple of additonal photos (they're also in the link in my post).

Walk-in and built-in pantries:
    {{gwi:1980622}}

Fridge wall:
    {{gwi:1704960}}

Counter height desk:
    {{gwi:1639755}}

Thanks again!

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oooops, sorry saskatchewan girl. I forgot to answer your question about the range. I've been using it for almost 5 months now and I really like it. Fortunately, I haven't had any problem keeping the cooktop clean (like I've read threads about). I really like the touch controls. They are so easy to wipe clean too. The best feature is the bread proof setting (in the warming drawer). Sunday in "bun-day" in our house and it makes rising dough so easy. I also like the various bake and convection settings like convection roast, regular convection, cakes vs. breads, etc. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

I think I'm in love with your drawer pulls, though they look black and I need ORB. Where did you get them?

Beautiful kitchen!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Oooo, I love your ribbed glass and your raised bay window! Such a lovely job on everything. And you are most welcome to the neverMT. Enjoy!

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

weedyacres, the handles and pulls are black but they DO come in ORB. In fact, I had a very hard time deciding between the two. But the black (anthracite) sink was the deciding factor. They are from Richelieu and they have an on-line catalogue. We were able to get an account with them and the handles were really reasonable (something like $4.50 each and the pulls were less). We also have a Richelieu less than an hour away so we looked closely at all of their stuff. They are nice and sturdy and are a bit longer than a lot of other ones we looked at. DH has big hands and they were a good fit.

Good luck!

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing the details...as I was about to ask! I'm looking at the same colors! I was wondering about the harware too...is it black or rust or iron? Are they top knobs brand? Again, stunning and hope you enjoy entertainign over the holiays!

• momto4boys
    16 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful space! I love the color of the cabs.
    We just bought a french door, freezer on the bottom fridge over the weekend. I can't get past it looking like a face, lol. Do you see it, too? :)

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Lovely kitchen, and so inviting.

I have a strange question. Is that an outlet cover on the lower left of your desk? Can't see it well on my monitor. I like your desk a lot. The window is very pretty too.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Mmm, warm and gorgeous. I love your kitchen. I must, because it looks similar to mine! Paint, cabinets, granite, backsplash, all so close to what I chose for our re-do. Yours turned out beautifully. Hope I can say the same for mine if it ever gets done. Where did you get the dishtowel stand? I'd love to have one like that.

• deegw
    16 years ago

Everything looks terrific. I really like your cabinet finish. The glaze is so nice. It adds depth and warmth but it doesn't add the sharp contrasts that most glazes do.

• pickles_ca
    16 years ago

You have a beautiful warm kitchen. It looks so cozy - one would want to come over for a cup of tea.

Enjoy the holidays in your lovely space.

• slc2053
    16 years ago

many hats...I love your kitchen...it is so warm and inviting....you commented on my recent post saying you had considered moving a wall but decided to keep your original footprint..I think it's lovely! I love, love your backsplash and that you truly have CREAMY cabinets...no off-white for you..I love those that go this route. There is one other post of a kitchen ..it's been about a year since they posted, and they had a huge kitchen with the same creamy cabs (very similar) and it was absolutely stunning...truly the warmest color and I love how it blends in with the wall. We considered a garden window...but instead took out our double hung and put in a single casement window for a seemless look...not sure why...so many decisions back then I can't recall..probably $$.

Two truly nice touches are the attention to detail (like how you lowered the cab in the middle over the desk and then put in glass there....and the dark chairs on the end, then the creamy ones on the sides of the table..really brings the look together!!)

I do have a question....is that a special frame you got to display the collage of family photos or something you put together?

Thanks..and again, great job!

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

I just love the look............I keep coming back to see if you've added another pic : )
    Yes we are neighbors!! Not only that, we have the same fridge too LOL. Plus DH is from southern AB!
    Every time I see gorgeous granite like yours I rethink if I really want quartz. Did you get to look at the slabs before? Was it very costly for your granite? or comparable with our neighbors to the south?
    I just love it, and I like dark cabinets mostly! Hey, just noticed your link to shutterfly......I'll be oogling.
    sask girl

• jessie21
    16 years ago

absolutely wonderful! love it all. congratulations! i'm getting rid of my kitchen desk (low) but if i had thought of a counter height desk to replace it, or if i had seen yours.........well, it's stunning, and i would actually USE it!!

ps, i may steal your christmas decoration ideas for countertop this year...pretty!

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mari--The outlet to the left of the desk is for our central vacuum. DH also extended the ducting so we can have a vac-pan but it's not installed yet.

lily 1342--The towel stand was from Home Outfitters and was $24.99. It's brushed silver and matches the faucet well. I think HO may only be in Canada but I've seen similar ones at Linens 'n Things which I believe is also in the States. Good luck with your choices and be sure to post photos! It took us so long to do the reno, since most of it was DIY, and I thought no one would remember me from when I was a newbie and soaking up info and asking for advice. lol. But I just had to pay it forward and give thanks where it was certainly due!

deee--Our cabinet guy was a little uncertain about our choices, both in style and color especially since most glazing is done on cabinets with more detail; but, you're right, I wanted "depth and warmth" as you said--and those were my exact words to him regarding the look I wanted him to create! I also said I didn't want them to look 'dirty.' They actually look a little browner on my monitor than in real life.

momto4boys--I've never thought of it as a happy face; I guess you're more creative than I am! But now that you've said that, guess what I think of every time I look at it?!

mommyto4boys--I was posting when you were I think so I gave the info about the hardware in my previous post (above yours). I could find the part number for the Richelieu handles and pulls if need be.

slc 2053--I started out loving soooo many kitchens and you wouldn't believe how many times I looked through the FKB! But eventually I followed the advice to see which ones I lingered longer over and was really drawn to and it came down to creamy ones. It was so hard to pick the color as it always looks different after the glazing so I picked 2 BM colors and the cabinet guy did a sample of each, each with 3 different colors of glaze. That was very handy but it was still hard to envision this little sample color in the whole kitchen. They turned out a bit darker than I thought they would and at first was concerned that they "matched" the walls too much. But I've learned to love everything. DH had no definite opinions about most of the remodel; he was very easy-going and said he trusted my decisions but it put a lot of decisions on my shoulders! Thankfully he, too, loves it. He did all the wiring (we removed the old sunshine-ceiling-from-hell & installed recessed lights) for the ceiling, under cabinet and in cabinet lighting, all the casings, trim, baseboards, flooring (done previously), installed all the appliances and faucet, Instahot, garbage disposal, etc. He even removed the old window and installed the garden window, built the ledge, etc. too. So he did more than his share! I really enjoyed viewing all of your pics too. I still can't believe your transformation!
    Regarding the collage....we recently had family photos taken as our son moved to Toronto this fall. We selected the 9 photos and the photographer had the collage made. It's coated (with some kind of subtle textured coating) so it doesn't need glass. We had it framed at a framing store. It's 35" x 35" and the frame and framing was under $200. It's actually an MDF frame but you would never know it by looking at it.

saskatchewan girl--I guess we have the same range AND fridge. Love them both. Yes, we selected our slabs. We found quite a bit of difference between the shipments. Since we didn't want 3cm on the window ledge, the 2cm piece had to be from a different slab and there is a difference but with stuff on the windowsill, hopefully no one but us will notice! The counters are a much more random pattern, much less black and we like them even more than the window ledge. It was about $5500 for all the granite. We got it in Edmonton (we're in the country just NE of there) from a family shop (2 sons and their dad) and we didn't pay a dime for it until the invoice came in the mail about a month after it was all installed. Not many places do business like that! There was a slight crack so they took $450 off the $5500--and fixed the crack.

jessie 21--Go ahead; steal away! As you can tell, I LOVE glass bulbs for Christmas decorating. I just added some more Christmas decorating shots to the Shutterfly album as well as a couple more kitchen shots.

I just realized that I DID have a digital photo of the before kitchen taken before the garden window was installed; it's in the Before photo album. I'll attach the link again.

Thanks for all the kind words. I owe so many thanks to so many people here--too many to mention and I wouldn't want to forget anyone!

Here's a photo I just took today; we just installed the blinds.

{{gwi:1980623}}

Here's the Shutterfly link to before, during and after photos as well as the new Christmas ones (it was the clickable link attached to my original post). I don't know how to insert a clickable link inside the post. (My computer skills have certainly progressed but I still have that to learn and I've spent waaayyyy too much time here this morning!)
    http://kimmohr.shutterfly.com

And here's the better (or actually *worse*) picture from BEFORE! It shows the old window (before the garden one was installed). There actually used to be an upper row of cabinets over the peninsula but we took those out years ago (was way too claustrophobic).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1980619}}

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jessie--Actually our old desk was in the same location as the new one and was regular height. I wanted a desk in the new kitchen as, even though we have a computer room with 2 computers and desks, I still use the one in the kitchen as my 'command central' but I had read on this site that many people considered them to be passe. One KD suggested putting in 2 rows of drawers to make it more furniture-like instead of having only 1 row of drawers (which is what ours had). So one day while shopping I noticed that so many kitchen tables were counter height and the proverbial light bulb went off! I decided to make the desk counter height and put in a row of drawers on the left and a drawer/cabinet on the right. The bottom drawer has a hanging file holder so it's full of file folders. It makes it so easy to arrange things. It's full extension so I can access *everything* easily and it's soft close as well. My label maker has come in soooo handy and I've labeled all my spice containers recently too.

(All of our other drawers have undermount glides but, for some reason, this one had to have a sidemount set of glides.)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1639756}}

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Pretty, pretty kitchen! And it looks so easy to work in. No too big, not too small, just right.

Thanks for showing your desk drawer file cabinet. I want to do something like that in the desk area we made off our kitchen.

Had to take a peek at your holiday decorations, too. Loved them! : )

• malhgold
    16 years ago

many hats - I noticed on a different thread that you have turned your old DR into a pantry. Do you have any photos you would be able to share of what it looked like as the DR and what it looks like now as the pantry? Also, what are the dimensions? I am considering doing the same thing in my house. Thanks so much.

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mahgold--It was pre-digitial camera days that we turned our dining room into a walk-in pantry (and made the old living room into the new dining room). It was a rather typical 1980's L-shaped living room and dining room with a doorway to the dining room from the kitchen; we did some wall reconfiguration but it's actually hard to remember what used to be where--as odd as that sounds. I'll try to find the blueprints this weekend and post some dimensions and also what the layout looked like before and after. It's a terrific walk-in pantry now--very big and roomy (there are photos of it through the link to my Shutterfly albu--under Home Photos I think). And the dining room is bigger now too and we've seated up to 22 people in it without any problem.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I looked through your link and it seems that most of the pantry pics are of decorations on the top of cabs. Whatever information you can find would be greatly appreciaed. Thanks again!

• many_hats
    Original Author
    16 years ago

malhgold--You're right; I guess I was shooting the decor instead of the layout! I just took some photos that hopefully give you a better idea of the layout. I also drew (and I use the word "drew" very loosely as I am quite artistically challenged!) a before and after sketch of the floorplan. There are 6 pictures plus the 2 sketches, and since I haven't figured out how to insert a clickable link into the body of a post and all 8 will take up a lot of room in the post, I think it best if I post them in my Shutterfly account. I put them all into album #7 and named it "For malhgold." I think it'll give you a better view this way (and I appologize for spelling your name wrong in my initial reply).

Here is a link that might be useful: Changing living room to dining room; dining room to a walk-in pantry; see album #7

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a pretty kitchen! The cabs make such a huge difference in there, I love your pantry door (great idea!) and your wonderful eating area. And, I'm crazy about your table and chairs . . . lovely! What a great place to celebrate your holidays. Congrats!

• krislrob
    16 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. Love the granite, the cabs and the backsplash.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

thanks so much for posting all the info. You definately made a good use of your space. Some people think I'm nuts for considering eliminating a formal DR. Glad to see someone else is as crazy as I am. Enjoy your new kitchen. It is lovely.