Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

Wild backsplash. Inspired, or Delerious? pic heavy

BalTra
12 years ago

Hi GW -

I love the ideas you have sent my way (directly and indirectly). See link to last discussion about the look I am trying to achieve in my galley kitchen. If you click on the images, it will link to my picassa album with the info on source for each.

Kitchen window & back door is South facing, galley style with peninsula open to dining space to the east of kitchen and living room to the north of dining space through an arched opening. Interior 1940's brick row home.

So many of you guys have an eye for color and design that blow me away! I'm learning a ton from you, and primarily learning what I don't know, which is so valuable.

So, here is round two. I found a tile I like but worry it will be Too Much. See below. There is a linear glassy aquamarine tile, 12x20 with a floral accent piece. The tile marcolo suggested I love but think it might be more than I can afford. I'd love to put tile from countertop up to the upper cabs and possibly above as well, but can't tell whether that would look too busy.

Here is my inspiration kitchen (from Houzz, "splash-o-color"):
{{gwi:1971098}}From Colorful Board!

Original tile idea (offering movement, soft lines:AnnS.)

{{gwi:1980549}}From Colorful Board!

Paint (Sherman Williams Rainwashed)

From Colorful Board!

Upper cabs (Cherry from Scherrs)

{{gwi:1980550}}From Colorful Board!

Tile, install horizontally (emil ceramica, Satin line)

{{gwi:1980551}}From Colorful Board!

Accent tile - maybe 4 - 6 of these, center over the sink (emil ceramica, Satin line):

{{gwi:1980552}}From Colorful Board!

A counter top option. I'm not at all set on this and am open to greys, whites from other lines. I think I can choose from Eco Cosentino, Caesarstone, IceStone, Zodiac, Cambria. The peninsula will have a 'radius' end - sort of teardrop shaped but the side open to the kitchen will be straight edge. Room for 2 - 3 people to sit.

{{gwi:1980553}}From Colorful Board!

Lower cabs in walnut (Scherrs)

{{gwi:1980554}}From Colorful Board!

Floor (US Floors Eco Roca)I know, it's imperfect and messes up the design, but it is installed.)

{{gwi:1980555}}From Colorful Board!

Here is my layout:

From GardenWebPics

And here are a couple of ideas from sochi for uppers:

November 26, 2011
{{gwi:1980558}}From Colorful Board!

So, is this way over the top??

I want the space to be beautiful, fun, colorful, happy, welcoming. I do not want it to scream at all who enter that I've taken leave of my senses.

Can't tell whether I am inspired or delirious ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: previous color discussion

Comments (36)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I really like your choices and huge fan of the color scheme since it's similar to mine. That said, I think the new linear tile (which I love and resembles my bathroom wall tile) is a very different green then the ann sacks tile. I don't know that it'll go with the Rainwashed.

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Hey BalTra, I know this is a bit off-topic, but can I ask?. . . Are you, by any chance, from just north of Baltimore? Your current floor plan is eerily similar to my own. And although I am nowhere near ready to tackle my kitchen reno, what you've drawn is one of my potential ideas.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

These are kinda cool from Lunada Bay:
    {{gwi:1980559}}

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

It's green not aqua. No curves. Accent tile too busy. Countertop too pale and blah.

If you want to go green instead of aqua, that's fine. But it's not your inspiration. Most of it isn't your inspiration. Are you really sure that pic is what you want? Because you keep choosing things that aren't similar at all.

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

remodel - yes, the new tile is nothing like the gorgeous one marcolo pegged for me. Except the color family. It's huge - the tiles are 12x20. And I love the flowers.

Has anyone seen this tile? This tile company? Installations? Pricing isn't terrible. The Aquamarine is sold at a nearby brick and mortar store for $8.20 ft2. The flower deco is $177 for two at the same store, but I saw it online for 1/2 that.

The Luanda bay tiles are very pretty. I like the top and bottom ones most.

PurplePansies -- if you recognize this layout, it's hard to miss where the house is!!! ;) Do you ever visit Atwaters?

Thanks for the thoughts, KitchenDesigner! I'm open to changing the countertop. And I agree; so far the walnut looks best with my floor. Still waiting on my sample scherrs doors in cherry and QS White oak.

Will need to decide between solid wood vs. Veneer slab. Leaning toward veneer since they can bookmatch the grain!!

remodel - you have Scherrs, yes? I just looked at your kitchen again. Love!

Anyone want to nix those tiles? I was drawn to them because they are so big, smooth glass-like finish, linear yes but the flower tiles are so pretty and wallpaper like and not expected in a kitchen. I'm inspired by those with the stunning elaborate mosaic backsplashes (I'm thinking of the blue and white over the sink one that is, I believe, a peacock -- stunning). I prob can't afford a mosaic like that, but I could do these.

Change the countertop? Or do y'all think a shade of white is best with the walnut and cork? If a shade of white, what do you like with this scheme?

THANKS!

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

live wire: save me from myself!
    I am thick skinned, GW. Bring on the truth as you see it.
    :)

OK, live wire oak -- if I use marcolo's wavy tile, but can't afford a ton of it, who much do you think I need as a minimum, and with what do I surround it? Starting and ending where?

Counter run is ~150", height to ceiling from counter is ~60".

I love that Ann Sacks Vincente Wolf tile. The collection *starts* at $30 ft2.

And what countertop can I use? Which one? I pre-purchased the counters from Ikea at a 30% off sale and I can pick between IceSTone, Corian, Cambria, Zodiac, IceStone, Caesarstone.

I hope this is fun for some of you, and not pure frustration.

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

LOVE Atwaters! Will be looking forward to watching your progress neighbor! :)

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

too, too funny, purple!
    Am curious to see what you are thinking for your space and which neighborhood you are in.
    I left Charm City for several years and had Atwater's withdrawal. It's pretty much what brought me back here. Sunflower Flax, soup, coffee perfection. The cakes. The muffins. I have to set aside a % of my income for that place!!

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Icestone Blue Sky would be a closer match and then you cuold find tiles to match.

Zodiaq Calm Springs is a little pale, but it could work.

{{gwi:1980561}}

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

BalTra,
    I see your vision running to fresh and sleek.

I agree that the white counter is pretty bleh, but I'm not a fan of white counters, so that's personal taste. I think a white counter might serve to divide the room too much?

With 'sleek and fresh' in mind, your floral tile works extremely well with its hues, but might be a tad too traditional in its styling, too concrete a floral. Can you find a similar tile that's more abstract, more along the lines of the Japanese woodblocks that inspired the same mid-century color schemes you're working with here?

I would personally encourage you to avoid doing a framed mosaic over the stove (or anywhere), since that's a trend holdover from the AmeriTuscan kitchen, and doesn't work with the sinuous, streamlined flow you're aiming for. You might do better, and be more stylish, just picking one wall for tile.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I like the emil ceramica tile. It looks like a blue-green on my monitor, although definitely tending more to green than the inspiration pic or marcolo's suggested tile. But I don't think it would come off as "green." I agree that it doesn't match the SW Rainwashed; and also with the suggestion to put off the paint color decision until last (or go into the process with the assumption that you will repaint when it is all done).

I really like the floral tile, but it is a totally different look than your inspiration photo. If you take away the pots and the flowers from the inspiration photo, none of the elements are busy. That tile is. Pretty, but busy. I prefer the simple, so I would probably go with just the blue-green tile (whichever blue-green or green-blue tile you choose).

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sleek and Fresh. And Sinuous + Streamlined. I like that.

And I didn't know that about a framed mosaic & now I can see what you mean (see -- more learning what I don't know!) It would disrupt the flow, and perhaps the white counter as well.

Circuspeanut & others, what do you think of the IceStone Sky Blue? I do love it. Tile to match = ?? Love the thought of Japanese woodblock design. Very much up my alley.

Translating what is loved and lovely to what is loved and affordable. Challenging for my first real design venture!

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

I like the IceStone Blue Sky - definitely "sleek and fresh" and will go nicely with your cabs. If it's the color that is drawing you to your inspiration photo, then I'd stick with a sleek glass tile in a similar color.

Rodgers Forge.

Just pondering ideas here. That HVAC stuff in the wall between the kitchen and DR is annoying. Would love to take the whole wall down, do an island there, floor to ceiling cabinets on either side of the rear DR window with a window seat or counters/drawers under the window. But will depend on cost of moving ductwork.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Bal, I think the Ice Stone Blue Sky is gorgeous, and really grounds your vision. I grew up with turquoise formica counters, which didn't have half the depth the Ice Stone does, and never got sick of them.

There are many options for tile that matches, or resonates while being a milder version of the Blue Sky. That's the sort of thing you'll want to see in person, and can't be done via the computer monitor.

Some random visual ideas:

{{gwi:1980566}}

• sochi
    12 years ago

I really like the Ice Stone Sky Blue. Your first counter choice is too neutral and I'm with LWO - if you really want the inspiration picture, you need a blue counter. I also like a couple of the Corian counters (see below), but think that Sky Blue is the best colour match for your vision: Corian Arctic Blueberry and Azurite:

I quite like the tiles you chose, but agree that the floral is a little too traditional. I think the inspiration tiles that Circuspeanut posted are perfect, love them (esp. the first two).

I really love this little flower - in fact the flower is just a vinyl sticker you put on plain white or cream coloured square tiles. From Mibo (Ventnor Blue)

You could probably fairly easily find a coloured glass tile (or glass panels) that would work well with the counter you choose. The tiles below are from Porcelenosa, which I think is a bit more affordable than Ann Sacks, etc. This first tile with the linear lines approaches the feel in your inspiration picture, but I'm not sure which counter option it might best match: (Glass Acido)

Deviating wildly - if you're up for wild, I really like this tile. It doesn't match your inspiration picture very well, but it was so cool I had to post it: (Twin Strada Acero)

Some other interesting oval tiles, maybe too busy?: Many different shades of blue available, this is Sky Oval Oval Blue Linea Onde Collection Glossy Glass Tile

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like the white counter choice because of contrast with the dark cabs and how it lets you go wild for the bs.
    I'd stick with either the green tile or the wallpaper tile, but not both. The wallpaper tile would probably bust the budget if done for the whole bs.....
    Then again, I like the Calm Springs better than the Icestone Blue. The blue is too pastel for me. Your inspiration is a more aqua tone and your newer choices are more green. I'd keep leaning that way. The Calm Springs would work if you pulled a tone for that and went stronger for the bs. One or the other needs to lead (bs or counter).
    I think if you stay with a funky color and clean lines, you will honor your inspiration pic.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I think the AS aqua tiles are stunning and I think if you go with this color scheme it's best to keep it soft and muted and not use the flower tiles. The aqua color will still shine through even if muted and I don't think you will be saying "what was I thinking?" in a few years with a louder turquoise color and flowery accent tiles. Go crazy with wall paint which is easily changed instead of your permanent installations.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

2.03 per 4"x3" tile, MexicanTiles.com

1.99 sf 12"x18" Aquarelle Sky Blue at Floor and Decor Outlet

1.69 sf Deep Sea Blue vitreous glass at Floor and Decor Outlet

.75 ea (3.11 sf) Majoliche Blue at Floor and Decor Outlet

13.99 Glass Tile Trend
    {{gwi:1980579}}

$17 sq ft Susan Jablon
    {{gwi:1841816}}

$17 Susan Jablon again.
    {{gwi:1980580}}

11.91 Glass Tile Oasis

15.50 Glass Tile Oasis

17.80 Carter Custom Repeating pattern (can be color tweaked to the perfect color)

92.72 for the 4.6 square foot section of pattern repeat, Carter Glass

• cawaps
    12 years ago

These are thermoplastic tiles designed to mimic a tin ceiling effect. You can paint them any color you want.
    {{gwi:1980585}}{{gwi:1980586}}
    $26.63 for a 2x2 tile, or $6-7 per sq ft.

I think it is a great effect at a budget price. And you have the flexibility to choose any color you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: tin ceiling source

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

Like dianalo, I think the pale countertop shown in your color board would be great with your cabinets. I LOVE the striated dusky aqua tile you showed, but I wonder if the size of them might eventually lose its charm.

Once you have decided on a counter, I would zero in on a color for the backsplash, then either shop around in person or order samples online to get a texture, shape, and scale you like in situ.

The $177 tile is spectacular, but I would decide along this dictim: The more expensive the watch/earring/whatever, the quicker you lose it. The corollary here would be that you might want to go with accents that are both relatively affordable and relatively portable, less you tire of them.
    That seems to be the case in the Houzz kitchen.

And of course, no one looking for cool and modern could go wrong with the inspiration of sochi's artful swaths of wood and stone.

Happy decision making. hbk

PS, I think your cork floor will be perfect.

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

I don't suppose that any of the beautiful Japanese prints you posted is actually a reproduction in a by-the-yard fabric, by any chance?

Thanks. hbk

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm reading and re-reading your comments.

Does anyone think a grey countertop, or some color other than turquoise or white would work? See the other photos of the same space. I'm not certain that the turquoise counter is what totally defines my inspiration, though I certainly love it.

I like very much the idea of a sheet of painted glass as the backsplash (is it p111og who has that in her fab tiny kitchen?)- especially as I assume it would be less expensive than tile. Then again, it seems like simple is most always more pricey these days.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/divine-kitchens-llc-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~66914)

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by boston kitchen and bath Divine Kitchens LLC

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/divine-kitchens-llc-contemporary-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~66904)

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by boston kitchen and bath Divine Kitchens LLC

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/divine-kitchens-llc-contemporary-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~66903)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/divine-kitchens-llc-contemporary-kitchen-phvw-vp~66922)

Cambria Greystone?
    {{gwi:1980591}}November 27, 2011

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honorbiltkit, have you seen the site spoonflower? "Custom" fabrics, you can choose the print, and the fabric it is to be printed on. Lots and lots there. I searched with the term "Japanese" and a ton came up. Here is just one of them:

{{gwi:1980592}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Spoonflower

• chris11895
    12 years ago

I definitely think a gray countertop would work, and prefer it over white. I still love Marcolo's tile the best. I know, I know it's pricey.
    And while I definitely think it's a great idea to choose your backsplash upfront, just keep in mind that it really can be done after the fact so you don't need to make any hasty decisions and can really spend some solid time looking for the perfect one.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

OK, you decide: is the aqua countertop key to your vision? Here it is with all gray instead of the aqua:

If you go gray, the Cambria Graystone seems a tad too light to my eyes (of course ALL of this needs to be seen in person). Could you go slightly darker, like Cambria Fieldstone instead of Graystone? Can you find out what the countertops in your inspiration kitchen are made of?

Cambria Fieldstone

Also: in working with your inspirational picture, I felt even better about the Japanese woodcut references: see how they've cleverly incorporated some bright orange accents just to set off the blue-gray hues? Just as the masters do (intentionally put in one splash somewhere). Divine.

I'm loving your new kitchen already. Can I come stay?

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chris I love marcolo's AS tile best too.

** Can any of you think of a way to use some of it, and pair it with something else while maintaining a streamlined look? ***

And my other direct question:
    *** Gray counter?

sochi,
    love the WILD WILD tiles! Starting to understand the feeling of wanting the chance to do multiple kitchens; I thought it was nutz the first time I read someone post the sentiment!

hbk, thanks for the shout-out to my cork. It's installed, and I actually like it a lot. Hopefully still will once the rest is in place.

cawaps - love tin! I need to find a place in my house for it somewhere . . .

joannie, livewire, all - the flower and the green striated tiles are OUT of the running.

dianalo - "funky colors and clean lines." Perfect. going to tattoo it onto my left arm.

circusp - would love to see the turquoise counters you grew up with. I have to admit here that I was one of the ones who really loved that crazy NYC turquoise kitchen (with the turquoise kitten-woman standing in it). I know it was supposed to be a joke of sorts, but I like the boldness and anti-blahness of it.

Speaking of which , did any of you look at the Holly Dyment link lisa 0527 posted? So much color - everywhere. The purple bed room? I have a "sleep room" nearly identical in size. Hmmmmmmmm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holly Dyment Design

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Without the aqua, the kitchen looses it's punch, IMHO. It's not a bad look, it's just not "wow"! It plays it too safe and the neutral choices don't really work together as well without the injection of color. Not every kitchen has to be "wow", but don't let fear talk you out of taking risks. If you LOVE that inspiration kitchen, be FEARLESS in creating it in your own space.

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

circusp- Yes! Yes! Come stay! i'll make a Japanese-inspired meal for you :) Lots of pickled veggies. Salmon.
    Actually brilliant what you picked up on in posting the woodblocks. I get it.
    Humph. I'm stumped. Your rendition of the space with all-gray does actually upset the balance. Humph.
    BT

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

As I posted in another of your threads, your inspiration kitchen is all about the curved aqua river flowing through that kitchen. It's zingy and zen at the same time. Without it, the entire design falls apart and would need other choices than the grey to pull it back together.

If you keep picking choices that don't hearken back to your inspiration, maybe you really don't want your inspiration. There's nothing wrong with having YOUR kitchen be a reflection of YOU rather than being inspired by someone else's work. But, analyze WHY you are shying away from using color. You can do a room with only neutrals, but it's actually harder than doing a room with color. You have to carefully balance texture and tone and proportion and color undertones. If you are at all uncertain of making appropriate choices in any of those elements, then you either need to get in person help from a designer, or you need to do the fallback of copying something that someone else has done successfully. Just be certain that when you are using something as inspiration, that you really do understand why the room works, and which elements are key to achieving that look. That aqua counter, for instance.

• BalTra
    Original Author
    12 years ago

by the way.
    Pretty sure the inspiration photo has concrete counters. The aqua ones are dyed concrete.

Live wire - punch definitely gone. Pretty. But punchless.
    Fear can be paralyzing and dangerous. It is also a useful emotion deserving of attention cause it sometimes has a point.

So. Walnut lower, cherry upper, Ideal BS: AS by marcolo. Countertop options:
    IceStone Denim Moss
    {{gwi:1980595}}From Colorful Board!

IceStone blue sky
    {{gwi:1980596}}From November 27, 2011

SEE ABOVE POSTS:
    Cambria Greystone / Fieldstone

A shade of White?

** I CAN PICK FROM THE FOLLOWING **
    Options:
    eco by cosentino
    Cambria
    Zodiac
    Caesarstone
    IceStone
    Corian

Maybe I'll dream the answer tonight.

Off to walk the 4 legged beasts!
    Thanks to those of you who are still reading :) And to those who've offered your perspective.

** Really curious about what others see with respect to the:
    gray counters
    glass backsplash
    possibility of using a bit of the $$ AS turquoise wavy tiles.

• sochi
    12 years ago

If you like glass backsplash, that is easy to match whatever counter you end up with. Loads of glass tile options, or paint your wall whatever colour you choose and install glass (or plexi-glass) panels over the paint. I did that in my last kitchen, it was quite affordable.

I'm not crazy about the grey counters, but I'm trying to figure out why exactly, particularly because I have walnut cabs and grey counters and I quite like my kitchen. I guess I don't like it for your kitchen primarily because they won't match your inspiration picture. If you fear Denim Moss less than Blue Sky, I think it might work with the look too.

• User
    12 years ago

Your inspiration pic uses two colors of counters. So why not do the same? Use the Blue Sky on the peninsula, and Fog Bound on the back wall.

And who couldn't love that $3 a square foot tile that LWO found that bridges both in color!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

BalTra,
    I was just looking at your inspiration picture and wondering if maybe you should analyze the photo and make a list of what exactly it is that you love? Is it definitely that blue countertop? If so, you need to go for it. Like hollysprings just mentioned, there are two counters in the picture so go for two in your home. If you look at the picture and realize you just like the color scheme and really don't want to do the counter, then maybe you need a turquoise range with some orange le creuset pots on display :)

• ghostlyvision
    12 years ago

I think that IceStone Denim Moss would look fabulous, BalTra (and that Majoliche Blue that LWO found is exactly what I've been looking for, and what a price!).

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I think that the Icestone Blue Sky doesn't have enough green in it. I prefer the Denim Moss. But of all the eligible counters, I think I like the color of the Corian Mint Ice the best for this project.

But I think you need to start getting samples. The Ann Sacks tile might not go with the Blue Sky in real life, for example. So I would hesitate to get too comitted before seeing everything in person.

I like the idea of glass over paint (or back-painted glass if you can swing it) alone or in conjunction with the Ann Sacks tile.

On a side note, when BalTra originally posted the inspiration pic, I thought that the tile on the right was a different color than the tile on the left (right looks beige, left looks blue), but in the more recent pics of the same kitchen I see the tile is the same, and the color change is due to bad color rendering from the under cabinet lighting. All the more reason to look at materials in your own space under the actual lighting you'll be using.

• Tim
    12 years ago

A friend of mine swears by Heath Ceramics (she's in San Francisco). Price was too dear when factoring in getting them to Canada for our backsplash, and my wife wanted marble to blend into the background and not take away from her marble counters, but Heath has some amazing tile and colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Ceramics