Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgolby_gw

The neighbor who sat on my granite countertop last Friday.....

kgolby
10 years ago

is one lucky son of a gun!!!! Below are the after pictures from the repair. I have to say if I didn't know where the break was I would never have known about it. Thank you to oldryder & Trebuchet who gave me reassurance when I desperately needed it. It was greatly appreciated.

The installer did say there was a natural fissure at the corner which was the reason why it broke. If the fissure hadn't been there he said more than likely the corner wouldn't have broken off. But he did say no one should be sitting on granite counter tops regardless. Amen!

kara

Comments (37)

• martinkk333
    10 years ago

Wow. Beautiful repair. Congrats! So happy it worked out so well for you. You kitchen looks lovely.

• bpath
    10 years ago

What repair? Well done!

• maid_o_cliff
    10 years ago

That really looks great and you sure can't see any repair! Congrats

Red

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Wow! That is awesome! :)

• PeggyCoggins
    10 years ago

Wow! Best granite repair I have ever seen

• williamsem
    10 years ago

My brain knows it's there, but my eyes say it's not! Very nice repair, and now you at least know that fissure won't be causing you any more problems.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

That is one lucky neighbor! Where are your dozen roses, bottle of champagne and hand-written apology? :)

Nice job on the repair...you'd never know it was ever broken!

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I would never have imagined that would be possible! I am so happy for you.
    Can you describe the repair process?

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Now that I've got a minute to look at it without feeling so sorry that it broke, I can see that that granite is absolutely gorgeous. So glad things turned out well (and so quickly too).

• athomesewing
    10 years ago

Absolutely amazing! That is a great looking repair! And, what a relief! Your original thread was heartbreaking. Thanks so much for posting the followup photos.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Looks like he did a beautiful job! Gorgeous stone, what a relief.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

wow, what a quick resolution! and it looks great. Talk about a win-win.

• smiling
    10 years ago

Fabulous result. Like you, I was just sick seeing that broken corner, and couldn't have imagined it would be so totally invisible after repair. What an expert job! It cheers me up just to know that there are still such great craftspeople out there! SO glad for you, and thanks again for posting the follow-up.

• hollr
    10 years ago

Very impressive repair!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Terrific!!!

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

Oh it came out so nice. Glad to see you were able to get the repair done so well. There's nothing like a broken counter(or even chips) to make you sick to your stomach.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annalyn123,

He used a glue similar to super glue to attach the broken piece back. He said it's around 100x's stronger than super glue. Not sure what the other material is called that he used to fill in the gaps. It came in a variety of colors which he used to disguise where the crack was. He matched the colors of the granite perfectly.

I took a pic of my island so y'all could see my granite. It's 2 bookend slabs that match in the middle where the sink is. The broken corner was on the left end right above where the trash can pullout is. I was heartbroken last Friday thinking we'd have to replace the stone. Just so relieved it was a happy resolution.

Don't look too closely behind my island. It's really messy....hahaha!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

So glad that the repair looks so good!

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Thank goodness for all involved. Looks perfect!!!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Looks great!
    Remind your neighbor he really lucked out, and from now on to keep his butt off your counters, and his Coors Light partying in the back yard or garage ;)

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

I would never know! That repair is flawless! Congratulations!!

• Valerie Noronha
    10 years ago

Amazing!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Now that took skill!!!

So relieved for everyone

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Amazing!
    I agree- your neighbor should send you those roses and an apology.
    Also a beautiful granite!
    What company did the repair?

• amykath
    10 years ago

That is amazing! You would NEVER know anything happened. I am so happy you got it fixed and that it looks perfect!!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Repairs don't get much better. Good for you.

• kgolby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2gemini, We used 4 Seasons Granite in Jacksonville, FL. Highly recommend Jose & his crew if you are in my area. Can't say enough great things about their quality of work & professionalism.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Great repair! I bet your neighbor is now very careful around counter tops :)
    Thanks for sharing. I had no clue that one can't sit or stand, for that matter, on granite counter tops.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Awesome job! I'm so happy it all worked out for you. Your neighbor must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

• deedles
    10 years ago

yay! Nice repair job.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I am so happy for you! Your granite is just stunning and they did a wonderful job repairing it. It doesn't look like there was a repair made!

• Fori
    10 years ago

Nice fix! I was going to say you need to mention the company but I see someone already did.

Silly neighbor! I know it's hard to tell someone to get their derriere off your counter. I like to think Miss Manners would say, "Oh dear! That counter is somewhat fragile and I wouldn't want you to be hurt if it should break. Let me get you a chair!"

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Wow!! that looks great! I'm sure you all feel so much better!!!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Are you sure that isn't the before picture (meaning before the break)?!!! I'm sure you are hugely relieved as is your neighbor!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

"⦠I had no clue that one can't sit or stand, for that matter, on granite counter tops."

nosoccermom:

You can sit and stand on properly installed granite with the possible exception of sink rails. Proper installation creates the necessary strength in tension for sitting or standing.

If this was a fissure as diagnosed by the repairperson, the neighbor may be more victim than perpetrator. Better his butt knocking it loose than the hands of a child.

• heidia
    10 years ago

YAY! I cannot tell at all! :)

• darbuka
    10 years ago

Wow, I mean, WOW! Having seen the "before", that is one amazing
    repair job!

Congrats!