Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The neighbor who sat on my granite countertop last Friday.....

Posted by kgolby (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 20:00

is one lucky son of a gun!!!! Below are the after pictures from the repair. I have to say if I didn't know where the break was I would never have known about it. Thank you to oldryder & Trebuchet who gave me reassurance when I desperately needed it. It was greatly appreciated.

The installer did say there was a natural fissure at the corner which was the reason why it broke. If the fissure hadn't been there he said more than likely the corner wouldn't have broken off. But he did say no one should be sitting on granite counter tops regardless. Amen!

kara

photo Image2.jpg

photo Image1.jpg

photo Image.jpg

photo Image3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The neighbor who sat on my granite countertop last Friday....

Wow. Beautiful repair. Congrats! So happy it worked out so well for you. You kitchen looks lovely.

o

What repair? Well done!

o

That really looks great and you sure can't see any repair! Congrats

Red

o

Wow! That is awesome! :)

o

Wow! Best granite repair I have ever seen

o

My brain knows it's there, but my eyes say it's not! Very nice repair, and now you at least know that fissure won't be causing you any more problems.

o

That is one lucky neighbor! Where are your dozen roses, bottle of champagne and hand-written apology? :)

Nice job on the repair...you'd never know it was ever broken!

o

I would never have imagined that would be possible! I am so happy for you.
Can you describe the repair process?

o

Now that I've got a minute to look at it without feeling so sorry that it broke, I can see that that granite is absolutely gorgeous. So glad things turned out well (and so quickly too).

o

Absolutely amazing! That is a great looking repair! And, what a relief! Your original thread was heartbreaking. Thanks so much for posting the followup photos.

o

Looks like he did a beautiful job! Gorgeous stone, what a relief.

o

wow, what a quick resolution! and it looks great. Talk about a win-win.

o

Fabulous result. Like you, I was just sick seeing that broken corner, and couldn't have imagined it would be so totally invisible after repair. What an expert job! It cheers me up just to know that there are still such great craftspeople out there! SO glad for you, and thanks again for posting the follow-up.

o

Very impressive repair!

o

Terrific!!!

o

Oh it came out so nice. Glad to see you were able to get the repair done so well. There's nothing like a broken counter(or even chips) to make you sick to your stomach.

o

Annalyn123,

He used a glue similar to super glue to attach the broken piece back. He said it's around 100x's stronger than super glue. Not sure what the other material is called that he used to fill in the gaps. It came in a variety of colors which he used to disguise where the crack was. He matched the colors of the granite perfectly.

I took a pic of my island so y'all could see my granite. It's 2 bookend slabs that match in the middle where the sink is. The broken corner was on the left end right above where the trash can pullout is. I was heartbroken last Friday thinking we'd have to replace the stone. Just so relieved it was a happy resolution.

Don't look too closely behind my island. It's really messy....hahaha!!

photo image-5.jpg

o

So glad that the repair looks so good!

o

Thank goodness for all involved. Looks perfect!!!

o

Looks great!
Remind your neighbor he really lucked out, and from now on to keep his butt off your counters, and his Coors Light partying in the back yard or garage ;)

o

I would never know! That repair is flawless! Congratulations!!

o

Amazing!

o

Now that took skill!!!

So relieved for everyone

o

Amazing!
I agree- your neighbor should send you those roses and an apology.
Also a beautiful granite!
What company did the repair?

o

That is amazing! You would NEVER know anything happened. I am so happy you got it fixed and that it looks perfect!!!

o

Repairs don't get much better. Good for you.

o

a2gemini, We used 4 Seasons Granite in Jacksonville, FL. Highly recommend Jose & his crew if you are in my area. Can't say enough great things about their quality of work & professionalism.

o

Great repair! I bet your neighbor is now very careful around counter tops :)
Thanks for sharing. I had no clue that one can't sit or stand, for that matter, on granite counter tops.

o

Awesome job! I'm so happy it all worked out for you. Your neighbor must be breathing a huge sigh of relief.

o

yay! Nice repair job.

o

I am so happy for you! Your granite is just stunning and they did a wonderful job repairing it. It doesn't look like there was a repair made!

o

Nice fix! I was going to say you need to mention the company but I see someone already did.

Silly neighbor! I know it's hard to tell someone to get their derriere off your counter. I like to think Miss Manners would say, "Oh dear! That counter is somewhat fragile and I wouldn't want you to be hurt if it should break. Let me get you a chair!"

o

Wow!! that looks great! I'm sure you all feel so much better!!!

o

Are you sure that isn't the before picture (meaning before the break)?!!! I'm sure you are hugely relieved as is your neighbor!

o

"… I had no clue that one can't sit or stand, for that matter, on granite counter tops."

nosoccermom:

You can sit and stand on properly installed granite with the possible exception of sink rails. Proper installation creates the necessary strength in tension for sitting or standing.

If this was a fissure as diagnosed by the repairperson, the neighbor may be more victim than perpetrator. Better his butt knocking it loose than the hands of a child.

o

YAY! I cannot tell at all! :)

o

Wow, I mean, WOW! Having seen the "before", that is one amazing
repair job!

Congrats!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here