Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gone_south

What were they thinking?

gone_south
11 years ago

I came across this kitchen photo in a real estate ad, and had to share it. The cabinets would be fine with different granite. The granite would be gorgeous with different cabinets, but together all the wood burls and granite whirls are too much. And that is before you throw in the Busy with a capital B matching wallpaper, drapes and ceiling(!!!). Oh, that ceiling.... What were they thinking?

Comments (27)

• mrspete
    11 years ago

At first glance, I thought the ceiling was visible insulation.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

It's hard to say about the granite because the wallpaper is so overwhelming. I would love the see the rest of the house.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

It's a weight loss trick. With all the swirling patterns you feel seasick and can't eat.

At least, that's the effect it had on ME.

• gone_south
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>debrak, here's the rest of the house:

http://www.aikenhorserealty.idxco.com/idx/6222/photoGallery.php?idxID=387&listingID=78178

And I'm agreeing with EngineerChic, the thought of eating there is rather nauseating.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

Whoa. Seasick is right. A mood board would have helped prevent that mess...

• katsmah
    11 years ago

WOW! The outside of the house is so serene and peaceful and the inside passed busy and overwhelming a few years ago. That kitchen looks like a gut job to me.

• User
    11 years ago

How did that kitchen end up in that house? Someone compromised? It was a trade off? I just can't figure out how it happened. Even Granny's house looked better than that when she moved to Beverly.

• caryscott
    11 years ago

Pretty high end and yet...

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I thought the rest of the house would have been horrible but I don't think it is. What I don't get is the real estate agent. I for one would make the seller fix it before listing. I would not want my name associated with a kitchen like that.

Hey photoshop experts... can someone change all the pink pattern stuff to just white? I really think the kitchen is not that bad its just we can't see it because we are blinded by pink blotches or are they flowers?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I like the rest of the house fine. I think the pink is toile, --its just really inappropriate in the kitchen. I wonder if the husband got to pick the cabinets and granite and the wife picked the wallpaper and fabric and neither would budge.

• BerlinGirl
    11 years ago

something for everybody...

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

In 1991 the wood seemed like the right thing to do. But then she got tired of it and wanted to lighten up. Country French, maybe. White cabinets maybe. But he Was. Not. Having. It. So she said "fine" and pretended the cabinets were white.

• User
    11 years ago

I really like the cabinets but not the granite. Like the wallpaper but not in that application - it looks like you are under a giant bedsheet coming down over you!

• gone_south
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Realtor has it listed as a "drastic price reduction" and "short sale," so I don't think there is any money to do squat to the kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Here's a wooden ceiling matching the floor:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

White, does not look good IMO:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

That would be, this poorly created example:

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I think the kitchen would look look okay without the toile. Oldbat2be's ceiling replacement helps, but even without that change my eye is constantly moving from the counter to the backsplash and back. I'm not usually an advocate for white subway tiles, but in this kitchen they'd give a place for the eye to rest.

I like the granite, but its spots echo the cabinet knots too closely. Too many busy things.

• User
    11 years ago

Looks like it was designed by a committee. Everyone got to pick something.

• angela12345
    11 years ago

LMAO !! wow.

I showed pic to my husband. "Yeh ! It's like a mountain hou.... . . . . "
    Then his eyebrows came down and he got a weird look on his face as
    I watched his eyes jump around from place to place in the picture.

Finally he rolled back over and said "I think it's pretty"
    I told him I was going to post that he said that and
    he said "that will just reflect badly on you." LOLOLOL.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I showed it to my husband, and he said it had to be "the Dexter kitchen" because of the blood spatter spots everywhere. So, not all men only see wood that can't be painted! LOL!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

weird thing is-substantial money went into that kitchen:the appliances are quite good and knotty pine is quite expensive,multiplied by the number of cabs-painful to look at the space,but even more painful to rip it out-best thing would be to change the surfaces-paint cabs/strip the wallpaper/etc-maybe leave countertops.It could end up just fine with not too extensive work.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Someone is WAY too fond of toile and brocade, and just, well, STUFF. Everywhere on the walls and on every surface. The open concept means you can see three rooms' worth of stuff. Makes my skin crawl.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow. Have such aversion to visual clutter that I could only look at this pic for a second or two at a time.

First, PINK? With all that yellow wood?
    I can't even think about it.

I'm going back into my sage/gray/construction site for some peace.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

WHOAH!
    Please, can anybody photoshop all the toile to off-white and also remove the curtains in the upper cabinets? It's actually a nice house.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Wonder if all that fabric was to absorb sound. It's a big room with lots of hard surfaces. The cabinets with fabric panels look like there might even be no glass in front.

• gone_south
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think getting rid of all the red toile would help it tremendously. Quiet down the ceiling and walls and add a nice quiet backsplash and it would HAVE to be significantly better. For more $$$, a different stain on the cabinets, so the wood burls and granite whirls didn't all jump out at you would help too. But the red toile, especially on the ceiling, is the chief offender.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!