Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_macinnis_crozier

Anyone regret two different colours of cabinetry?

Liz
12 years ago

We are finalizing our cabinetry order and down to colour. Antique White cupboards with an expresso island or all expresso. The floors are wide plank hickory in a light to medium colour. My husband really wants expresso but I am worried about it being to dark. I have always liked light and bright space. We originally planned on having two colours. My husband is worried how two colours turn out. He likes the pictures in the magazine but thinks it will look different once it is in the house. Any opinions or experiences?

Comments (29)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I have three paint colors and one stain. Love them all. Three different counter materials too.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

We've had our cream and black kitchen for at least 5 years now and absolutely no regrets.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

No regrets... I get so many comments that it's a great and stylish combination.

• sas95
    12 years ago

Our cabinets are painted green and cream. I love them.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I have three finishes -- two paint and one stain, and never had any regrets. Do think about how you mix them though.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

What colors do you plan for your counters and bs? If you went light there, it would make a big impact in lightening up the whole kitchen. It also depends on how many windows and uppers you will have and how tall they will be. What is going on up high affects the color of the room most.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

While not exactly your question, I can say that I don't regret not using two different colors. I strongly debated making my island dark to contrast with a white perimeter. Ultimately, I decided that the white perimeter/dark island combo was a little too popular for my taste. I just remarked to a friend a couple of days ago how pleased I am that I went with all white cabs.

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

I decided that the white perimeter/dark island combo was a little too popular for my taste.

I think all-white kitchen cabs is way more popular.

And it is not even close.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I think when we are talking popularity, we have to remember that this forum is not reality. I do see a lot of white kitchens with dark islands here and just as many all white kitchens. In real life, I know 1 person with the white perimeter and dark island combo and 2 with all white kitchens.

My mom and mother in law really don't like our black lowers and cream uppers, but I love it. It bothers me a bit that I see more and more of the same combo in mags and on forums, but I still love it and that's what counts. Don't go with something because it is popular or not. Go with what you love and what suits your space and character of your home.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Every area will probably have its own trends but I don't think all white kitchens are more rare than the white perimeter\dark stained island combo. Neither is honey oak but they aren't breaking new design ground either - there is nothing wrong with tried and true. Everything will change in situ but I don't think the basic look is going to be transformed - if he likes it in pictures he'll like it in your home.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

When we first started talking about the new kitchen for the house we are buying, my DH said he wanted dark espresso cabinets in a shaker style. I was worried about it being too dark if we went with all espresso. I have always been drawn towards white kitchens, so we talked about a white perimeter and an espresso island. Then I started looking around GW and noticed how many kitchens here had that combo, or how popular the shaker style was, and that espresso was very popular also. I think it is funny what style DH showed interest in even though he spends zero time on this board!

I think if you and your DH like the look of two toned cabinets... go for it. Look at the pics from the magazines and take note of the other elements that make the look work, and then incorporate those idea into your design.

• Liz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the opinions. The cabinets are such a big decision because it really sets the tone of our open concept home. The greatroom opens to the kitchen and has 14ceilings with a wall off windows. The nook has windows on 3 sides with 9'6 ceilings which is across from the island. The cabinets go to the top of the ceiling with a row of glass door cabinets and then there is crown moulding.

Allison your kitchen is gorgeous!!!

dianalo - We haven't chosen the countertops yet. I want a light one but want to finalize the cabinets before I choose the granite. I was either thinking a granite countertop on the island with a white soapstone on the wall cabinets or just all a light granite.

I have always lived in the country and always had white cabinets in every house I have lived in. I am a farm style girl so dark is taking me to new box. What happened with the colour being so up in the air is people we know did the light and dark but did it bad. The kitchen was tiny with no light and they had a cooled tone white with a warm tone brown so it didn't mesh well. The main cabinets are dark and island was white. They also didn't have enough lighting. Then we saw a showroom that was gorgeous all dark cabinets. I loved it but I left wondering if i can picture myself enjoying my coffee with a that warm comfy feel in the morning. DH is scared of the two tone and I am scared of the all dark. DH also doesn't want all white. Too jump out of my box or not?

• Madeline616
    12 years ago

I have BM Acadia White perimeter cabinets and a cherry island that was faux painted a deep espresso. I love the combo. We're swapping out our granite for white marble and changing that beige travertine tile backsplash, but here is a pre-facelift pic that kind of shows you the cabinet combo.

{{gwi:1461824}}

One regret I do have is faux painting those tall cabinets on ether side of the cooktop espresso. When we do our facelift, they will be white.

My KD explained to me that the eye naturally goes to the darkest thing in the room. So, if you do an espresso island, that's one thing, but if you do what I did with 2 other accent cabinets in espresso, it starts to break up that clean look.

I personally love light and bright spaces, like you. If you're one of those people for whom living in a dark space kind of brings you down, and light/bright cheers you up, I'd hold firm with DH on the mostly creamy white cabinets.

For some, there's nothing like the coziness of a kitchen with gorgeous dark cabinets, but if you're a light and bright gal, and you spend a lot of time in the kitchen, you want it to be a happy place that suits your taste and feels cheerful.

You might want to show DH some real live GWer kitchens that look amazing with an island color that differs from the perimeter.

• K Sissy
    12 years ago

I did that when we remodeled our kitchen 7 years ago. My wall cabinets are light oak, and my island is cream. I have never been sorry that I did this. The island being a different color makes the kitchen look fresh and new. It is now pretty popular to do this. I did it 7 years ago when no one did this. It adds a twist to the typical kitchen remodel. You won't be sorry. Go for it!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The difference between all one color or 2 toned kitchens is that the 2 tone look is a relatively recent look in among the main population, and therefore, can become dated or could become a classic alternative. It is too soon to know.

• mick2
    12 years ago

absolutely not, wouldn't have it any other way......60% cream, 40% brown.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

My kitchen is too small to do two colors but my next kitchen
    will definitely have an island and builts in that are
    two different wood types. I love the look and think it
    is timeless.

~bp

here are my favorites....

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Did you see Adh673's kitchen? I'll link to it.

I also saw this pic on houzz.com:
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~74070-traditional-kitchen-toronto

Here is a link that might be useful: Adh673's Kitchen

• Liz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think it is time to talk to my husband. I really just don't know if I can be in a dark cabinet person even if I think they are beautiful. I need to be able to picture myself having my morning latte while making breakfast in my comfy attire. The link I added is what i really like but with cup pulls on the cupboards.

Here is a link that might be useful: [My kitchen vision[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/needham-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-boston-phvw-vp~109770)

• sochi
    12 years ago

No, I don't regret it at all. I really like dark lower cabinets and light uppers - white or pale colours (blue, green, etc.) I had all dark in my last kitchen and found it a bit much, but I would prefer that over all white I think.

• pam29011
    12 years ago

Hey SunnyAlberta, what about white perimeter with a medium-toned wood island? Maybe the stark contrast of espresso against white isn't going to work for you, but a natural cherry island might add the warmth your husband wants while still having the bright, light feeling you crave?

You can see the color combo in the last picture that BoxerPups posted - but that picture has cherry cabs on the bottom and white uppers.

Another way to get some warmth in the kitchen is to consider a cherry butcherblock countertop on the center island if you decided to go with all white cabinets on the perimeter and island.

• Liz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pam that is definitely something to consider. Come to think it the feeling of the kitchen in regards to colour choices has been the main focal point of our debates. I really appreciate all the pictures and input. I have learned so much from this forum.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Two tone or multi tone kitchens were the way in years long past, so it's not new but has circled around again. My way of thinking is a bit different than most maybe... but, unless everything is exatly the same color in the rest of your house, well, why should your kitchen be? I don't get making everything (cabinetry) the same color. To me it is another room in the house that deserves the same mix as the rest of your decor in other rooms regardless of the kitchen size.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

When you posted your inspiration pic, it made me think of Deanna 1949's beautiful kitchen and I went and found the link. When she first posted her pics on the finished kitchen blog, it created a flurry. Her kitchen was really different than most and seemed incredibly fresh and inspired. So funny looking at the elements that made it seem that way: white subway backsplash, dark coloured island, schoolhouse fixtures, white stone counters, etc.

It is still one of my faves, but doesn't stand out the way it did when it was one amongst a thousand dark cherry, black granite kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: deanna's kitchen

• countrygirl217
    12 years ago

Love my white perimeter and alder island. That and soapstone counters were two design features that never wavered! I'd do it all over again for sure!

{{!gwi}}

• Liz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone. With all your advice we are going white and slate. I took the warmer darker color DH picked and put a white with it that goes well. I am so excited. I was going to just go all dark to be easy but after hearing your suggestions and seeing my craftsman home come together their is no doubt in my mind that white and slate will suit my place.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I'm considering going 2 tones with my remodel. Both dark lowers/white uppers or light perimeter/dark island are both in the running, depending on whether I go with an L or U layout. Like you, my partner prefers dark, or at least he prefers wood, while I prefer white. I also think it might help the kitchen look less top-heavy, which is a larger issue with some layouts than others. I'm just a little concerned about whether 2 tones is best in a smallish kitchen.

Here's an inspiration pic I ran across on GW. It's Bossanova's coach house kitchen, and it's black and white.

I like how she pulled that little detail of black into the crown. Other examples I have seen will sometimes pull a bit of the black into the upper trim. I like everything about this kitchen, including that it is small but looks so sharp and functional. I'm not sure what I'd do for backsplash, though.

I hope this gives you inspiration. Keep posting - and make sure you share pictures!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Love my two toned kitchen. So glad I did it. I actually never cared much for wood in my kitchen before...always loved white kitchens. Now that I have a dark island, I can see how I might go for a non-painted kitchen next go round. :)