Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Metal shelf on Brothers & Sisters kitchen

redroze
15 years ago

So we've figured out what to hang above our cooktop, on the subway tile backsplash. It went in today by the way...it looks fabulous but some of our electrical isn't working so I'll have to post pics some other time.

I love the idea of hanging a metal ledge for various things. The Something's Gotta Give kitchen has it for smaller items such as spices, but the Bros&Sisters kitchen has larger items. I like the look of both but prefer the wider one from B&S. Does anyone know where I can find this metal shelf?

SGG kitchen we all know and love:

B&S kitchen:

The B&S ledge looks an awful lot like this one from Ikea, but I'm not sure if the B&S one is a metal grid like this. It is 10.6" in depth, 31" in length, which seems similar. Has anyone who watches the show gotten a closer look at it?

Comments (23)

• gglks
    15 years ago

not a closer look but i sure love that kitchen!!!!!! that is a perfect thing to put behind your cooktop though!

• morton5
    15 years ago

That looks like the Grundtal shelf from Ikea, for $24.99.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grundtal shelf

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

That looks exactly like the IKEA shelf I used behind my backsplash. Not a great picture, but I installed it so that I could tile over the mounting brackets.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ccombs, Morton - I think that's it!! Yes, the Grundtal shelf is the same one I posted above.

Ccombs - Very clever to conceal the brackets with your tile. It's too late to do that for me, but I actually don't mind the look of the metal brackets as the B&S kitchen shows them. What are you going to put on the shelves? 10.6" feels pretty deep so I was thinking of doing some glass jars, maybe some ceramic pottery containers.

• caligal
    15 years ago

The first time I saw that shelf, i said to myself that it was the Grundtal shelf from IKEA. I am putting that in my kitchen as well. What I want to know is where can I get the back splash tile. It is a yummy buttery creamy vanilla tile.

O/T- I love this show.

• sue36
    15 years ago

I've been trying to figure out what that backsplash is for ages. If anyone knows, please tell us!

Ccoombs1, I know you previously posted a pic of how the shelf looked installed, before tiled. Could you post it again? Thanks.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd also like to see a photo of Ccombs' shelf prior to tiling. Thanks in advance!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Redroze, if you want a solid shelf, Ikea makes a stainless shelf (particle board wrapped in stainless, I think) called the Mossby shelf, that can be cut to any length you like and installed using the Bjarnum brackets, which look a lot like the brackets on the Grundtal shelf. The Mossby shelf comes in two widths-- 7.5" and 11.5", I think.

I think the Grundtal shelf would be better over the range, though. BTW, I didn't read your original post carefully-- see now that you already thought it was the Ikea shelf.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures. Since the IKEA shelves do not match up with US standards for stud placement (not that it mattered....my studs weren't centered in the BS area anyway), I had to cut out the drywall and stick some wood blocking in behind the rock to hold the bracket. I secured one end of the blocking to the sides of the studs I could get to and ran each board horizontally behind the rock. I couldn't get to the other stud so I ran some screws in through the drywall to hold the other ends. There are 4 chunks of blocking, one for each hole in the bracket. Then I carved out a bit of the face of the drywall so the bracket and screws would be flush with the surrounding drywall and I could tile over them.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Oh I forgot to answer Redroze's question as to what I plan to use the shelf for. I will probably use the little hooks that fit it to hang some pretty stainless cooking utensils against the wall. Also, my hood has warming lights at the back so I think the shelf would be a really handy place to set plates to warm them and to allow yeast dough to rise. I may set a couple of decorative accents up there when it's not being used for something practical. The shelf is a little deep, but not nearly deep enough to cause me any problems. My cooktop and hood are bumped out 3" so that makes the shelf even less of an obstruction.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Slightly OT, but isn't it funny how we notice kitchens on TV now? I've been looking at backsplash tile, and all I notice now are the backsplashes on TV kitchens. The three friends on Lipstick Jungle all have great backsplashes! (I like the B&S b/s too!)

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Ccoombs1 - I am glad you mentioned about the 3" hood bumpout, cause as I was reading down this thread and looking at the pics, I kept wondering if the shelf would interfere with hood exhaust, and if the underside of the shelf (or the bottoms of things placed on the shelf) would become a grease collector. Love the look tho!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I never thought about grease collection, I was only thinking how pretty it looked! My main concern is that I would not want it to interfere with the main purpose of the range hood, which is to grab steam/greas and chuck it outside. I never thought about the fact that it may be a barrier.

Ccombs - Is the shelf itself easily removable? Meaning, can you take it off the bracket easily to rinse it in the sink? Keep us posted on how you like the shelf once you start using the range more. I don't see myself hanging utensils on it as I can be erratic when cooking (neat but erratic), and I can just see myself banging the utensils on the tile backsplash when I put the utensils back on it.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

The shelf it's self is not removable, but the rods are. There is enough space between the ends and the cabinets that I could easily stick an allan wrench in there and take the rods out, if I needed to.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the shelf is just beautiful ccoombs, and I know we can always figure out ways to work around things that we love. I know you'll enjoy it and I can't wait to see it with stuff on it!!

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I wipe mine easily over and under and get everything clean , I would not bother removing the rods. I use ikea's round cork trivet to keep my olive oil bottle stable on the shelf.

• roey736
    15 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a shelf like this. I almost blew $350 on a John Boos shelf, but it was solid and I thought it may prevent the hood from doing it's job. As a last resort, I searched "shelf" on this website. $24 and it's perfect! I know this is an older thread, but I just want to thank you for the great info. I'm off to Ikea! (I hope it's still in stock!)

• caligal
    15 years ago

Love mine, too!

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Roey736 - You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome!!

Caligal - I noticed the Ikea shelf in your kitchen photos. It looks wonderful, and I really like that you created a beverage centre out of it. Terrific idea!!

• nauset
    15 years ago

I am more than happy with my Ikea shelf. Thanks to Cindy (cccombs) she guided me thru the installation process. My cabinet guy was able to pop the threaded plug out after he cut the rods, (the euro size was too long to fit my 30" space). He did a great job, but I was not there when he mounted it and it is upside down!!ÂOnly I know!!! He did not go into studs, but used some fancy plugs and it is VERY sturdy. The sheet of stainless I had cut at a metal shop for about $80. Liquid nails adhesive was used to adhere to plaster.

As to what to keep on shelfÂthe green VT cracker tin in the pic was at the gift shop at the dump ~ small fry pan or cooking items are good ~ you will find many changeable thing to try there. I put plates up there to warm when cooking. I just wipe it for cleaning.

If it wasnÂt for GW and Cindy, I never would have used this solution. It probably would have joined the "decisions to be made" like paint and backsplash. I too looked at more expensive Boos shelf, but I too wanted something with ventilation under it. Let us know if you got the shelf and post pics when it is mounted. It is one of my favorite things in my kitchen and the least expensive!!
    Carole

{{gwi:1578669}}

• roey736
    15 years ago

I got the shelf! They had a ton in stock. Crazy, but it was only $14.99! (I got the one that is 31" wide.) I'll post pics once it's installed.

Question for all of you who installed it above your burners: how high off the range did you mount it? I have a Thermador 36" grill, and I want to make sure I put the shelf high enough that I can use my Thermador vent hood heat lamps, and still be high enough that I can use a huge pot under it if needed.

• jillkins
    15 years ago

Nauset - I also have a 30" opening and will need to have the shelf cut down. Do you have any tips on how your cabinet installer accomplished that? I suppose I may need to take the shelf to a metal fabricator or something.

For those of you that have the shelf installed, how high off the cooktop did you install it and how far from the hood did you install it?

Thanks!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Without measuring, I am guessing mine is around 24" above the burners. I bumped my hood and cooktop out 3" and have found no problems at all with the shelf interfering with the flow of air to the hood. That shelf is really handy too! I had a loaf of frozen bread I wanted to thaw yesterday. So I set it on the shelf while I simmered a pot of soup for a couple hours yesterday. The bread thawed and warmed up nicely.