Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinar_gw

Show me your Arts and Crafts / Bungalow / Craftsman backsplash

pinar
16 years ago

vizslalover seems to have started a thread for this, but it has disappeared.

I am looking for Arts and Crafts like backsplash ideas. It doesn't need to be an exact replica of what they did in the period, although period pictures are welcome.

Our cabinets are quartersawn white oak with the Autumn stain (reddish light brown). We will be installing soapstone counters. Our floors are amber hardwood. We will have a fireclay white undermount sink and some stainless steel appliances (seems like there is no escape from that).

We would like to introduce some color, if possible, and try to stay within the theme.

It seems like blue and green are good options for color, but I really don't want to have another green kitchen. Teal, aqua etc. ok, as long as there is a blue tone to it. Nothing to crazy, because everything else we have have toned-down finishes.

Any ideas, pictures, examples appreciated.

I looked into blue tumbled marble, but didn't find a lead. Is this anywhere to be found? I will look into Motawi and Lewellen in person. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Pinar

Comments (27)

• theresab1
    16 years ago

not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we have an arts and craft style cabinet i guess. and went with blue granite and a sandstone tile:

• momj47
    16 years ago

This site has some wonderful tiles, as well as other stuff. You might get some good ideas here.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Craftsman Home Connection

• donna214
    16 years ago

You should take a look at Meredith Art Tile. It is Arts and Crafts inspired and they have some beautiful hand painted decorative tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meredith Tile

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

theresab1,
    Your kitchen looks great. I have actually looked at it before on FKB. Unfortunately, we already picked our countertops and they will be black. So, I would like to do some color on the backsplash.

momj47 and donna214,
    Thank you very much for the links.

Pinar

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

theresab1,
    Just noticed. What is your pendant? Is it a pulley?
    Thanks!
    Pinar

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

I used bone subway tiles from Subway Ceramics and tiles from Terra Firma Tile over the range.

• sleepydrj
    16 years ago

We didn't finalize our design yet, but will use a matte finish creamy colored subway tile to offset our dark soapstone.

We went to the Fireclay tile showroom in San Jose Ca. Like a candy shop for TKO. They have some wonderful sage green and aqua colors which seem very arts and crafts, but have a rainbow of sumptuous shades. See the colors in link below, as well as concept boards on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: fireclay tile

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

I'll try and see if I can get a decent picture, but my backsplash just went in (a year later!). I used a variety of Trikeenan tiles--4 x 4, 2x2 and pencil. I didn't want a picture over the range, so I just went with a mix of creams and greens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trikeenan

• theresab1
    16 years ago

pinar- my pendant is a pulley- each side can come down independently. its from pottery barn.

also your user name is same as a very good friend of mine from turkey.

• katwalt
    16 years ago

We went with subway tiles and then 3 rows of 1x1 tiles for accent:

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon_s,
    We looked at Trikeenan at a tile shop and liked it in principle, but it was so hard to pick colors, since they had sample panels of mixtures of colors and each color already had color variation in it. I am hoping to go to another tile place with the actual colors. Would it be possible to post a picture of your backsplash?

thresab1,
    I didn't know Pottery Barn had pulleys. I've been looking at them online for over our dining table, which looks like, it will be more of a bar in front of the window, due to spatial restrictions. Thanks for the lead.
    I am turkish and Pinar is my real name. I find it very handy to have a rare name like that, then you don't have to find alternates for forums like this.

katwalt,
    Good idea with the thin strip, too. That way you can pick the colors you like and if they are too saturated, they are still pretty small, so they won't be overwhelming.
    You seem to have a similar shower bump out situation to ours. We found out after the demo, that our bump out was actually not as big (cabinets already ordered) and our stove was originally going to be against the wall. Now we have 6 more inches, which is nice to have, but we don't know what to do with the extra 6" against the hood and upper cabinet now. Problems never end!

Sorry I diverge!
    Pinar

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Pinar,

Here you go. I can't seem to get pictures that do the tiles justice, but it is what it is. I know what you mean about the colors being hard to pick! The tiles are handmade, and there is variation--even in the same color. So you really need to see actual samples--and even then there will be variation from tile to tile. Anyone who likes a uniform look should stay far away from these.

They worked well for us, though. Our house is 100 years old, and the original fireplace tiles are very much like the Trikeenan tiles--color variation and imperfections in glazing. So, it all works well together.

My tiles are a combination of 4 colors: fog (the greener color), sharkskin, and two creams. I'm blanking on the names of the cream.

Hope this helps some.

{{!gwi}}

• sharon_s
    16 years ago

Just to add that, if someone is looking at Trikeenan, but wants a more uniform surface, I think their Modulus line has much more subtle color variations. They are very pretty as well. A little more modern looking than what we were going for though.

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not that particular about uniform, if anything, I'd prefer some variation, either in texture or color, but I wanted to know what colors I was including in my mix.

Thanks so much for the picture. Your kitchen looks great. It is nice to see that not everybody is using oil robbed bronze on their faucets!

Pinar

• lpolk
    16 years ago

I used Motowi tiles in the kitchen. My home is victorian but these tiles are VERY arts and crafts. They are pricey but beautiful. I think they look good w/ soapstone (my counters too!) I used yellowish ones. I aslo used some around my fireplace which looks great.

Here are some quick pix you can see the field/accent tiles:
    motowi backsplash

Here is a link that might be useful: Motowi tiles

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

stunning!

• joyce_6333
    16 years ago

I came across this kitchen at americanbungalow.com.

Scroll down to the kitchen pictures. The tile is some of the nicest I've seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Bungalow Kitchen

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!

• chmpgntst
    16 years ago

I've always loved this one in the FKB...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianne2566's kitchen

• dannie_gal
    16 years ago

I ended up with tiles from Seneca Tile in their Handmold line. I absolutely love the way the tiles look surrounding my fireplace and they would be just as beautiful on a backsplash. I searched high and low for handmade tiles that weren't $$$ before I went into a more boutique type tile store and found exactly what I was looking for. The link doesn't do the tiles justice at all. For example, the tile picture below is the color "sierra", which on the website looks beigy. IRL, it is far from being beige. Here's an old picture, but you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handmold collection

• plants4
    16 years ago

Try McIntyre Tile. They have beautiful porcelein tiles and a nice website. One line is called "Arts and Crafts" and the tiles have a lovely feel and look. The website has photographs of the installations and boards.

Also

Here is a link that might be useful: McIntyre Tile Co.

• minnt
    16 years ago

Here are my Shaker style cabs and the backsplash that we just finished on Friday. The copper tiles are hand made, from an online artistartistthe horizontal tiles are slate.

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

I looked at a complany that makes their own tiles, and does a lot that might work for you. They are called Earth Song Tiles, and they have a lot of motifs that may work for you. You can also pick your own color for the tiles, so you might be bale to pick the perfect shade of blue for what you wish. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth Song Tiles

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

If you are still looking, there is another company that I've found that makes very nice hand painted tiles. We are planning on using them for our backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Art Tile Direct

• pinar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all. More research for me. We haven't picked backsplash yet. Still trying to finish everything else, before we hackle that decision, but all of these are very helpful.

p.

• etnam
    14 years ago

theresab1...i love your kitchen.
    did the cabinet installer build the dropped bulkhead located above your canopy range hood first, followed by the installation of the range hood chimney cover below it.
    or
    did the appliance installer mount the canopy range hood with the chimney cover first and then the cabinet installer placed the bulkhead above it.
    We would like to do the same thing in our kitchen.