Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is difference between Honed & Polished?

Posted by twingle (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 19:32

Hi new to kitchen renos and have a ?? I see posts about counters and people talk about honed finish vs polished finish. What are the pros/cons of each? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is difference between Honed & Polished?

polished is shiny and is appropriate for any surface that is stable under most usual conditions. I believe this is the standard finish for solid surfaces.

honed is more of a satin look but will still show surface imperfections. It is made buy sandblasting or brushing polished surfaces to various extents. It may also be called 'leathered' depending on the amount of distressing done to the surface. Because the distressing is an extra step, there may be an upcharge associated with this finish, and the upcharge will vary by stoneyard.

Your preference will dictate what you choose. Natural stone will have different appearances and may not even seem to be the same stone when the surface is treated in different ways, so make sure you get samples of the stone with the surface treatment you want before committing.

Some natural stone surfaces such as all stones called marble and quartzite (which is natural quartz, not synthetic surfaces which are mostly acrylic) will etch under normal kitchen use (especially with acids like tomato, citrus, vinegar, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing, etc.) so some people like to get them honed because the etching is less apparent-though still there, with this finish.

The basic properties of the stone you choose will not be changed by the finish.

o

Honed marble has a matte surface, without the high gloss polished look. Etches (the chemical reaction caused when acidic substances like lemon juice come in contact with marble) appear a bit less obvious on honed marble, but they're still visible.

Polished marble has a shinier finish. I've heard that polished stone may be more resistant to staining (vs. etching) than honed, as honed is more porous, but I can't attest to this, as my marble counters are honed.

This link explains that honed and polished marble both undergo a sanding process, but the polished stone is buffed to a shine.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ehow.com/info_8334884_differences-between-honed-polished-marble.html

o

Thanks. I love the look of marble but may decide to go with quartzite. I like ones that look like Carrara .

o

Here are examples of honed calacatta gold (marble) and leathered antique brown (granite) (leathered is like a soft, velvety feel but with texture):

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here