Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peninsula on wheels?

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 19:28

I love my peninsula but it's hard to reach the uppers above it. Don't want to get rid of it. My 10 yr old suggested I make the peninsula detachable on wheels. What do you think? Will it not look right when it is in place because of the split in the countertop? And can I make sure it doesn't roll all over by accident? And will it be too heavy or weird because the drawers in it will be filled? I guess it is like an integrated rolling cart- but I have never seen this incorporated into a peninsula rather than as a stand alone. Thanks .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peninsula on wheels?

Is it an island or peninsula? If peninsula, isn't it attached to something already? Do you need the uppers? Or can you put stuff in the uppers that you hardly ever use? There are big wheel casters with lock out there but it would depend on what you are working with cabinet-wise.

Somebody will know the specific issues with this, I'm sure.

o

I think if you want to make it detachable, it stops being a peninsula and becomes a movable island that you just keep in that peninsula-like spot.
I think it can look great as long as it looks like an intensional design element and not an afterthought. I probably would do a different countertop material, each countertop would have a finished edge, I might make one slightly lower or higher, probably the island lower so it can slide under the other countertop edge.
You can make sure it doesn't roll with locking wheels, these have a heavy look though and may not work in your design style. It will be heavy and depending on how many drawers, what's in them, it may be unwieldy(think full cart at BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club).
Different surfaces

Half of this island is moveable, with split in countertop:

If you visualize this island pushed up against the hutch, is that what you want?

o

Oh, wow, thanks, those pictures are so helpful.
You are right, there's no way to make it really look "flush", but maybe a tiny island that's always pushed in to make it like a peninsula? Probably will make me crazy, with crumbs falling in the crevice...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here