Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

upper cab symmetry question

deedles
10 years ago

Hey, just a quick question.

What do you think of having a glass front cab on one side of the sink with solid door cab on the other side? The cabs flanking my sink are mirror images, so would it look odd to do this?

I see that Christopher Peacock guy did it but not sure that the upper cab layout is the same on either side of the sink... can't find a pic of the whole wall.

Ennyhoo, does symmetry mean no difference in the doors
(i.e. solid vs. glass), as well?

Comments (31)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Deedles - I don't think symmetry means they have to be exactly the same. I think it's more about balance. That said, is there a reason to want them different? Personally, I think I'd prefer either both glass or both solid, but I'm no CP.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

deedles - mine will be the same as you described as well - except flanking the range instead of the sink. I hope it's alright. On paper I like it....I am ready to finalize this week!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I placed a glass sink cabinet 6" above the other uppers. I had some reservations about doing so, but all family members have found that seeing glasses nicely lined up takes a lot of the searching out of the glass process and as it's a lit interior, seeing them in the dark. My china goes in the upper to the left, just above the DW.

Surprisingly nice and I should think you will find advantages too.

• lolauren
    10 years ago

Personally, it would bother me. I strongly prefer symmetry, though.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Here are Christopher Peacock's own kitchen cabinet photos you mentioned:

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 8:39

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of ours. It doesn't bother us at all.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd kind of like glass for my dishes cabinet but the other one will be spices and cooking stuff so that would be best solid. I think it looks good in his kitchen.

Katy Lou: thanks for the pic... that looks really nice.

This post was edited by deedles on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 23:12

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Very nice kitchen, katy-lou. Nice glass cabinets with good use.

I'd think it'd look nice too, deedles.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

>I'd kind of like glass for my dishes cabinet but the other one will be spices and cooking stuff so that would be best solid.

Exactly! Stemware and dishes to the right and vinegars and oils etc to the left of the sink.

@deedles & @sparklingwater. Thanks - it's almost done and will then post a reveal :)

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Kitchens, like art, needn't be symmetrical.

• mailfox7
    10 years ago

I did it too.

The glass front cabinets are a symmetrical set of 3 cabinets on their own and stand apart from the other side of the sink. They are between two windows so maybe that makes a difference.

It hasn't bothered us either.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, you guys have helped me lose whatever reluctance I had. I think I'd like to have glass for my dishes. By Jove, I think I will!

Thanks!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Good for you Deedles!

Late but that is exactly the purpose for ours also. Dishes to the left in the glass cupboard and to the right spices, other baking items that I'd prefer not to have open.

Just to further kibosh the symmetry the glass cupboard I am bringing down to the counter. Debated that one quite a bit but it serves as the hutch I couldn't fit so I am going to go for it.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn: In my searches for pics of this, I did see just what you are going to do with the glass one down to the counter... it looked great!

• athomeinvagw
    10 years ago

One thing to consider is how much you already have going on in your kitchen. I do not know what your most current plan is but I have seen the range wall, do you want to have another element that grabs attention? Even if you have all white and clear items in the cabinet it will still add more visual clutter than just a plain cabinet door that matches the others.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point.

So, it would be this vs. this as seen below. Fwiw, I have to have the open shelves on the left due to opening door interference with the light on the stove wall.

Cab sizes are 30 wide and 15 wide on the outside ends.

Is the glass too much going on? Possibly is?
    Another case of what I think I'd like not really being the best possible choice...?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I had to look at that mockup a while to realize I wasn't looking at your stove. You actually have a sink!!!

I like the idea of glass cabinets and understand that you don't really want to display what's in the cabinet on the left. But I tend to agree with athome. Everything else from the counter upwards is very symmetrical and the one glass cabinet breaks the rhythm. It's not bad, but it's like, one of these things is not like the others.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I am beginning to suspect that you are an embellisher, deedles. Not that you make up stories, but that you like everything to be uniquely decorated. There are no Cinderellas at your ball! Everything you've picked out has been tasteful, so it's hard to know when enough is enough. It doesn't feel like too much yet, but it could be that your kitchen isn't all crystal and bling, which overwhelms me pretty quickly.

The big question is will you be happy with plain glass??

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

linelle, you're funny. Yes, yes, there is a poor neglected sink in the plan. The copper sink that was planning on being the star but Big Girl said, "oh... no... sorry"

Phooey. Glass is too much. It does look good, just not so much in my kitchen, I fear.

Guess ya can't fit 10# in a 5# bag...

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mayflowers: lol, I AM an embellisher, aren't I? And no, of course I wouldn't be happy with plain glass either. I'd want there to be some stained glass or something.

Okay, I'm going to stop now. Really. I can't think of another thing to tweak.

You know, it's all the cabinet guys fault. If he'd have finished our bedroom wardrobe when he said, then I'd have already submitted the kitchen cab order and I could stop.

I blame him. :)

This post was edited by deedles on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 14:38

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Have you looked at the restoration glass from bendheim? Mouth blown cylinder glass with just enough waves and variations to not be just "plain glass". Just sayin. :) We did not have a plan so much as just evolved and picked things we liked. It all seems to go well with each other and the house. You seem to be doing much of the same. Go with what you like

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Your photo really helps envision this. I agree it seems constrained given the window behind the sink.

What if you were to make your two 15" uppers glass cabinets? That would keep the symmetry and compliment the openness of the window.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sparklingwater:

You mean like this?

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Oh, I like that a lot...

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Deedles - agree with sparkingwater that looks really nice!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I like it! Do you have stuff display-worthy that can live that high without being inconvenient for you to access?

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

My guys ran low voltage wiring for that look, and placed the transformer in the highest shelf of a closed cabinet near the wall with an electronic dimmer switch. The bulbs are still halogen but can adapt to small LED when they come out with them. Love that bendhieim wavy glass look.

I actually was wondering about the two symmetric side 15" upper cabinets (where you have cookbooks) below your top cabinets. But lit tops are sublime with that gorgeous window.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey! Yay! I can have some glass then. It does seem to lighten up that wall a bit and I like the three of the cabs with the 3 divided lights in the window, too. I'll have to shrink the solid door cabs to 30 from 36 so the ends can be 15 but I think that'll be okay. It'll have to be.

Thanks again (and again and again) you guys for helping me puzzle this out.

I do have more display stuff than I have display space, unfortunately. I used to sell vintage housewares and linens on Ebay years ago and kept plenty. When we move (and downsize considerably), there will be lots of happy people at our moving sale.

I could put doors on the end cabs and there would be no problem with the right side but the left side would hit the light over the stove pass-through if I tried to open it wide. Do you think the open shelves look doofy?

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

No, the open shelves look great. I completely missed the part about the door and the stove pass through all this time.

But yeah. You got lights. It will look spectacular at night, especially with the moon in the window.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I have to agree the last mockup looks good. I wish I had better vision and could make suggestions. Alas...all I can do is agree with the others! You are going to have one terrific kitchen by the time you're done.

• xc60
    10 years ago

That last mockup is my fav! Wow! :)