Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gglks

Finished Kitchen Pics...Just About!!!

gglks
15 years ago

Thank you all so much for the wealth of information, honesty, good taste and information sharing!!!! I owe a few names special thanks for their inspirations....RMKITCHEN for her sink, finger pulls and overall knowledge as i asked her MANY questions MAMADADAPAIGE for her beautiful granite which made me open my mind to something other than marble or soapstone, KATESKOUROS for her pendant recommendation which i so graciously stole from her, POSITANO for your first hand experience with the paint color i chose and last but not least REDROSE for ALWAYS responding in times of need!!!

So here we go!!!! First I will say, I love my kitchen in almost every way. I am anxious to post my pics because of the amazing kitchens I have seen time after time again on this site. And please forgive my photography skills. I have no idea how to take pictures! I think the natural light is pouring in sometimes and others, I have the lights off and maybe the pics look to dark....but I tried!

I hope you all enjoy as much as I do...

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pictures

Comments (60)

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I especially love your pendants and even more especially your backsplash because it is so simple and classic yet unique. congratulations on achieving this.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

all I can say is...DANG!

That is one pretty kitchen! Well done. I think that is the favorite banquette I've ever seen. I'd love to cozy up there with a cup of coffee. Love the backsplash, the granite, the cabs, and that view out your window. Such a great job.

Anita

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anita!!!! and yes, i was one of the ones stalking you about your lighting!!!! your kitchen is just as cozy!!!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am SO HAPPY and EXCITED to have poked around here tonight! I'd known from your progress pictures that your kitchen is an absolute stunner, but to see it all -- yum yum. Thank you for my Saturday night special!

There are just so many parts of your kitchen I love and I want to call some of them out: I love your countertop. That granite is spectacular, period. I love your window(s) -- you are so lucky to have the window right there, both so you can look out but also the light which must pour in .... I love your sinuous & sexy hood. I love your backsplash! I know I'd written before that I'd assumed you were going to use it all over, but I am so glad you used it like an exclamation point behind your cooktop. It's stunning but not loud (if you know what I mean). I love all your tasteful touches; you really do have beautiful taste.

I am honored that you mentioned me but I have to say your kitchen is all about YOU and your vision and incredible taste.

I love it!

Congratulations, Friend!!!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

hi gglks ~
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist to give your approval.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

RMKITCHEN...my long lost twin!!!! i haven't seen you around too much lately! i'm so glad you got to see my pictures! i was afraid i was going to have to send your out a single post just to see them! i do thank you sooooooo much.....you responded to me from my very first post on white vs. cream down to my hardware placement questions! and i love the finger pulls....i put them on my spice pullouts because they just didn't look right with actual hardware on them!

thank you, thank you, thank you for ALL OF YOUR INPUT!

• amylovesbud
    15 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the backsplash so much! You really pulled off a beautiful space that is completely deserving of it's beautiful view!

Do you have specs on your banquette? I'm curious about your dimensions and how comfortable it is.

• megradek
    15 years ago

gorgeous! I love the granite and backsplash. You must be thrilled

• deegw
    15 years ago

LOVE it! You accomplished a very difficult task. You created a traditional cream/white kitchen with lots of unique elements that really work together. Definitely magazine worthy. Congratulations!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

That is some kitchen you've put together! Your hood and basketweave tile over the range are quite a lovely focal point (and so very unique-looking!).

Great job!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting those pics!

I too love the granite, and that BS is gorgeous! There's something so appealing about basketweave!

It's like the perfect kitchen- very traditional (read warm and comforting and I expect Grandma to be there with milk and cookies), and yet timeless!

• positano
    15 years ago

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! It looks amazing! These pictures couldn't have come at a better time for me. I just put my deposit on Costa Esmerelda, now I know I made the right decision. Your hood and backsplash is to die for. DH just saw it and even said he loved it, and he could usually care less.
    Everything is perfect. You must feel so happy that it's all done.
    Thank you for all of your inspiration. You have gorgeous taste!! I'm glad the paint color worked out, it really looks good.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

congratulations!!! you did a wonderful job and i love the backsplash too ...and of course the pendants! you must be thrilled. enjoy your new kitchen and you got the LAST two pendants? obviously they were made for you!

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen. Absolutely gorgeous granite & backsplash.
    Congratulations & enjoy !!!

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amylovesbud---the banquette is 8 ft. by 5 1/2 ft. that was basically the space we had to work with. i put a base cabinet and then a wall cabinet that comes down to the counter in the corner (right next to the banquette) for cookbooks, junk and crafts for the kids. since the base cabinet is 18 inches, that is what we decided for the depth of the seat. the contractor built a sloped back which is 3 inches so the actually seat is 15 inches deep. how that makes sense! we also had 3 inch cushions made which i totally recommend. it is very comfortable for us. we had to work with certain restrictions so you might want to make the seat deeper....say a 22 inch seat with a 4 inch sloping back. my contractor had me sit in different chairs to determine what would work for us.

hope that helps....

• josie724
    15 years ago

You did a great job. Really love the hood and the backsplash. I wanted to do a banquet in my kitchen, but I couldn't make it work. Yours is perfect. Enjoy your kitchen.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen. You should be very proud of yourself for creating such a pretty, warm and inviting space. Enjoy!
    Barb

• janefan
    15 years ago

Beautiful--so elegant! You hood is perfection and all of your choices are just dead-on! I know you're going to relish every minute you're in it!! Congrats!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

absolutely gorgeous!!! that basketweave tile, the hood, the wonderful flow, it is all just stunning. You must be in heaven!!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love how everything came together. The light from the windows is amazing. So bright and warm and cheery. Love the combo of everything. Congrats on a wonderful new kitchen and space. Great job!

• ptyles
    15 years ago

What an absolutely elegant kitchen! Yours is just about the same exact layout of our kitchen. Would you mind giving me the dimensions of your room. It really helps to see a finished kitchen (a gorgeous one!)in the same kind of layout. Gives me hope that one day I will have a beautiful space again.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen with so much light from the windows and the light cabinets with the darker floors and the special counter tops giving some color to the room is fabulous. This gives me hope also that one day, I can have a pretty kitchen.

• sayde
    15 years ago

Just beautiful! It all came together so well. I love your floors, your wonderful window, the pretty Costa Esmeralda granite -- it all looks perfect. Enjoy!

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ptyles--thank you, and before you know it, you will have a wonderful new kitchen too! our dimensions are 21 1/2 ft by 14 1/2 ft. based on kitchen designing rules, our aisles are a little tight.....3 ft between sink and island and 42 inch between refrige wall and island (which has seating). for us it works fine. i am a one cook household so the sink being close to the island is actually perfect for me. as far as the aisle with seating, the wine cooler and one pantry are behind the stools. sad to say, but the wine cooler is my one area that is a little tight to get into!!! when we have entertained, i go in it quite often and if someone is sitting on the stool, it's tight. oh well.....i can live with it!!!!! let me know if you have any other questions.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

gglks, Your kitchen is just beautiful! So serene with your granite. Love your window, your unique backsplash, your pendant lights and the way it all comes together so well. Great job!

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Wow, everything just works so well together and looks so good. The basketweave backplash is awesome!

• tinahollywood
    15 years ago

What a warm, inviting kitchen and elegant kitchen -- in white, no less! How did you do that? I just love your backsplash and your hood and your island and your ceiling. And what a beautiful view to your outside world. Just super! Congratulations
    T

• sugarski
    15 years ago

Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen. I especially love the basketweave tile backsplash... it's just wonderful. Great job!

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm another lover of the basketweave backsplash! The whole kitchen looks fantastic. Congratulations on seeing all your hard work pay off!

• maydl
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous space to work in! Congratulations on creating a light, bright kitchen where all the details work together perfectly. You must pinch yourself every time you walk in!

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

I really love it and am so glad you are so happy with it! Agree with so many other posts, love the basket weave, the hood, so many great elements working together. Congratulations!

• busybme
    15 years ago

You have yourself one gorgeous kitchen! I love the glass cab over the wine cooler...a very pretty punctuation mark to that wall!

I'm sure you will enjoy entertaining for the holidays this year!

Sandy

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Love it! Stand outs for me are the island-granite combination and the pendant lights. I lust after an apron front sink. Yours is a stunner. I have to say it is kitchens like yours that are the devil on my shoulder saying are you SURE you want stained cabinets? I've always hated our white cabinets because of the design not the color. I am worried that switching from white to medium stain may make the kitchen feel cramped and crowded. Well, I can always look at yours, close my eyes and imagine my kitchen white, like yours :) Just have to cook with my eyes closed, LOL.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

funny cotehele, when i see stained kitchens, like nomorebluekitchen, i think, hmmmmmmm, maybe i should have done darker cabinets????

the one problem with this website!!!!! constant second guessing!!!!! we can all just share!

• caligal
    15 years ago

Bea..U..tiful! What a lovely space and serene view.

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Well done! I can't seem to get enough of the white kitchen look. You did a great job! I'm looking at months down the road after the new year so seeing kitchens like yours gives one something to strive for.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

gglks, late to the praise game but I'm sure you can't hear enough after the trials and tribulations of a major reno! :-) What a wonderful space. I love it all but I especially *LOVE* those pendants. They're such a wonderful focal point and manage to both complement the space and yet stand out. CONGRATS!!

Eliz

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

never too late to praise elizpiz!!!! thanks so much for all the compliments....

• bichonluver3
    15 years ago

WOW, girl - you put a whole new meaning to the word "beautiful" and where did you find those GORGEOUS pendants??????

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

believe it or not, i got these from ballard designs. they were called the wesport pendant....they can in different color glass and "silvered" glass. when i called to order, they said i got the last two...and they aren't on the website anymore. someone posted similar ones on nomorebluekitchen's pendant post....you could see where they are from. i have also seen them priced from $150 to $1500 a piece....mine were definately on the low end!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Wow - your new kitchen is beautiful. I really love the hood and the backsplash - I think they make a huge impact!!! Enjoy cooking in your new room!

• bananafana
    15 years ago

Oh my! That is unbelievably great! I love it all.

• cookin45
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Job well done!

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen!! How big is the island? How about the area where you have chairs - how long is that part and how much overhang? thanks!!

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks katiekitchen.....the island is 7'2" by 3'3". The section with two chairs is 5ft. and the overhang is 13 inches. Hope that helps....

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

gglks, I love your back-splash so much! It truly is not only beautiful but unique and goes so well in your gorgeous kitchen. I also love the hanging fixtures that are perfect for the space. Everything about the kitchen, especially the wonderful three big windows down to the counter so you have the best view when doing dishes and have the most natural light coming into the kitchen wowed me and it is what I want if I am ever designing a kitchen. My kitchen has no window in back of the sink and I sure wish it did. I do love the pretty clock I placed there that I am still in love with but I have other places in the kitchen that I could have placed the clock if I had a window there.

Thanks for sharing.

• positano
    15 years ago

Hey there...another question for you. What edge do you have for your granite? Is it eased? That is exactly what I want to ask for.Are the edges on the island slightly rounded? Thanks again!

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi!!! it is eased. the island edges are the same as the perimeter. when i had to pick the edges and you start doing the research, it (like everything else) can be overwhelming. in the end, i decided on the eased because i just wanted something simple.......have you made up your mind on the granite?

• positano
    15 years ago

Great...I'm going with eased then. Yes, we made up our mind to stick to the Costa Esmerelda. It really is beautiful. I think it will hide dirt well, be durable and not look like every other granite out there. I still pine away for soapstone and marble, but maybe when the kids are older and we move to our forever house.

Once again thanks for your help. No new progress, still waiting for the permits and the electrician. I'll post picts as soon as we have something to show.

• amyspector
    2 months ago

gglks -- I am looking at Houzz apparently 15 years after you were posting, but my searches relating to "how to do a range hood" in a room with a peaked ceiling led me to your discussion. I'd love to see the photos that you posted, but the link takes me to "Photo Bucket" and I can't figure out where to find the photos once I'm on that website. If by any crazy chance you see this message, could you let me know? Your kitchen sounds amazing! My name is Amy, and I'm in Concord MA. I'm building a small house on an island off the coast of Maine, and it's a labor of love, and I sure could benefit from seeing what others have done!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH