Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bagg_gw

two types of crown moldings in kitchen/great room

bagg
12 years ago

I have cherry cabs in kitchen which flows into the great room that has sitting booth and entertainment center (no wall separation)

Cherry cabs will have matching natural stain crown moldings. I would like the great room to also have crown moldings.

What are your thoughts in having the same design crown moldings but kitchen has stain while great room has white? or should I go with different moldings? or should I forgo great room molding entirely?

Comments (11)

• pence
    12 years ago

I always think it looks best when you use the exact same crown so they miter nicely together, but of course, one will be stained cherry and one painted white

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I am facing the same dilemna. When it comes to the working kitchen, I am planning to have wood stained crown molding to match cabinetry. For me, its about more than just the crown molding. During my renovation, I am replacing and adding new doors and windows. I will also have a fire door in my kitchen that must be white (cannot be stained), also my existing door to basement will be white. I am also planning to add french doors to my LR and another to my DR, probably both to be white. I hope to pick a transition point wherein white trim will prevail, but I think I am going to stain the window over my kitchen sink and leave windows in my eating area white.

Not sure if this is the best option, but that is what I was planning. I will be interested to see what other GWers have to say on this topic.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

Do your cabinets go all the way to the ceiling? If so, what about letting the cabinets have their crown/top moulding under the room's continuous moulding which also goes across the top of the cabinets as well.
    I've seen this done before, it was recommended to me by an artist who has done renderings for Clive Christian, and I did it in my home with results I'm happy with.

• nancyaustin
    12 years ago

I used the same profile of crown molding for above the dark cherry cabinets and for the cream colored, painted crown molding for the breakfast room. They look great together. Don't hestitate to use molding in your great room with the stained molding above your cabinets.

• bagg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

singingmicki, yes cabs go all the up to the ceiling.

Anyone have pics that depicts the two different moldings? I've scoured through the internet and was unable to find one that fits my perdicament.

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

I found one picture and I'll link to it. Sorry I can't figure out how to embed pics from houzz.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz.com different moldings[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/kgrahi-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~69874)

• tilenut
    12 years ago

I used the same crown molding on the cabs that is in the rest of the house. We picked an unobtrusive place to transition the color, which turned out not necessary as cab color was very close to trim color. But in your case the important things are to use the same profile, and find good transition points.

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

how did you cope (spl??) the two pieces of trim together since they were different?
    we have to do the same exact thing from our den into our kitchen.

• sherrilea
    12 years ago

Sorry, I didn't personally do it, our cabinet installer did. In our case, the painted trim profile was scribed onto the stained trim - the stained trim is the one that was cut to fit.

• maidmarionette
    12 years ago

Usually, the profile of the moulding already on the wall would be taken using a profile gauge.

They are tools that consist of hundreds of plastic or steel pins held in a row. You push it against something and the pins conform to it. You would then use this profile to trace onto the moulding you wish to cut.
    :)

Here is a link that might be useful: profile gauge

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!