Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevinmp_gw

OT: Your Christmas / Holiday Images

KevinMP
11 years ago

It's finally getting cold, and it's time for the decorations. I have the fortune of an awesome local nursery and two great mantels, but I thought I'd start a place to share ideas and photographs, even though it's off-topic.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Your Christmas decorations are outstanding. Would you please come decorate my house?

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Such a pretty house, inside and out.

My faves: looking at the picture cards we get from friends and family. These are the last things I take down after the New Year.

Our little suburb has a tradition of putting out luminaria on Christmas Eve. Very simple paper bags with sand in the bottom and a plain white plumber's candle. Sales benefit the local chapter of Infant Welfare Society. So pretty to drive around town on Christmas Eve (we have winding streets with lots of trees) and see all the lit luminaria, especially when there's a good amount of snow.

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Kevin--Love your style! Is that an owl in your tree?

• louisianapurchase
    11 years ago

Kevin,

Your home and holiday decorations are both amazing. Do you mind telling me the wall and trim color in your dining room? Also, is your ceiling painted a lighter blue or is that a reflection of the walls?

thanks,
    Shannon

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. There have to be more posts than this. I cannot be the first person.

Yes, owl in tree. Pottery barn.

Blue on walls is Pratt & Lambert Wythe House Gray in velvet finish. Blue on ceiling is some sort of light blue flat--I cannot remember what it is. Trim is BM color matched to the rest of the trim in the house in an expensive alkyd paint of some high gloss variety.

The reflection, which is pretty cool, is from the iridescent coloring of the glass on the pendant.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And just so you know you're not crazy, the color in the living room (where the TV is) is BM Phillisburg blue. I know, lots of blue (especially if you're familiar with my kitchen and bath remodels), but I'm a guy, and I like blue.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Beautiful decorations Kevin. I have been eyeing the fluffy little white owl at Pottery Barn....sigh...I just don't need anymore ornaments. But - maybe I can squeeze one little white owl on there!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

Beautiful Kevin. And chicago I love the luminaries. We do the same in our area also.

Our Historic District has put on a Victorian Porch Tour for 20 years now. It is on 2 streets here and goes from Wed-Sunday. On the Saturday night it is only for walkers. On Friday night they have an Old Town Celebration and have hay rides through our neighborhood with everyone dressed up in Victorian Costumes. It is quite beautiful. Our porch was featured in an issue of Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Book on year. Here is a slide show I put together. We are in Opelika AL if anyone will be here in early December :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Porch Tour

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Love the window box, where did you find flowering kale this time of year? Really like that idea, but admit it probably looks better against the brick of your house than the old white wooden siding of mine. You've inspired me to do a little more with tops of bookcases,ect. inside the house, alas I have no fireplace except an electric one that rolls from room to room. It's being used as a side table right now. ha. Thanks for sharing your beautiful house.

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, I didn't realize you were in Alabama, much less in Opelika! I'm at the other end of the state, in the country outside Huntsville. Several neighborhoods do luminaries during the season here too. Love the ones in Historic Huntsville and Old Town. It is beautiful. Work blocks most photos, so I have to wait until tonight to view. Drat!

BTW, I managed to get my mantle decorated and got the seasonal pillows out and a few other things, but don't have the tree up yet. Sheesh I already feel behind!

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

outsideplaying HEY !! to a fellow Alabamer :) I love Hunstville...specifically the trails at Monte Sano. I did the 50 k there 3x and love love the challenge and the whole area. Don't know anything about the rest of that part of AL.

I hope you will post photos of your Historic area. c

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Did you do Mountain Mist? If so we probably have some mutual friends. We love hiking the mountain. I'm also a runner, but not that hardcore for distance in my old age, lol! Just 5 or 10k's sometimes now and mostly to keep in shape. I'll try to get back downtown and make some photos for you real soon when it's all decked out.

• trailrunner
    11 years ago

yes...3x. It is billed as the toughest 50K east of the Mississippi and I do believe it. It can be anything as far as weather goes. I had to climb the waterfall one year and it was covered in ice...one false move and you not only fell but it would take out those down below !

I did 24 ultras between '96-2000. I now do the long bike tours...cross country with all my stuff in bags and we camp the whole way. I do still run several times a week but not that long distance. I will be 62 in less than 2 weeks so count myself very lucky!!!

Look forward to seeing the pics ...Dink Taylor the race director is an old friend as is Dwayne Satterfield and many others . Has been a long time though since I was up there. I love to go to Oak Mt and run there to near B'ham and have done that 50k in the past too.

Maybe if I am in the area we can run together.. I would love to. c

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Kevin, I LOVE your decorations! Finally got to see them this evening. Didn't really mean to hi-jack the thread, but you know how us southern girls are when we get carried away...

TR - I know both Dewayne and Dink, Dewayne and LeighAnn especially. And yes, MM is HARD; they start it earlier now in case anyone gets hurt they can get them off the mountain before dark.

If you are ever up this way, do let me know via d-mail; you've got a place to stay! I'm 64 and due to 2 knee surgeries have really slowed my pace! And I enjoyed the Porch Tour also. Beautiful!

DH put up the tree today, so I guess that means I need to get out the decorations!
    E

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cabbages have been there since September. They're still in such good shape, I left them in.

• louisianapurchase
    11 years ago

Thanks for the paint information. I love the blues. Chicago, your street looks like it could be in a Christmas movie. Love it.

Shannon

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

It's snowing today. I put out a couple of things yesterday. Took a picture or two this am in case this is all the snow for the season. So, ho ho ho, this is all I've got so far!

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Oh, that makes sense about the kale ( or cabbages). What a good idea to leave them and decorate around them.

• leela4
    11 years ago

Oh bee-love your humongous pinecones! I live in the middle of a (ponderosa) pine forest so we get plenty of pinecones, but none that big.

Your house makes me a little homesick for PA (where I grew up).

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

It just doesn't feel like the holiday season here. It was 70 degrees on Sunday.

• KevinMP
    Original Author
    11 years ago

At least you're getting snow. It's just raining in Center City, making for a miserable and cold walk to work today.