Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjzucker7

Back Splash brainstorming, please

szruns
9 years ago

OK, I chose granite finally!

Attached are two pics showing the stone ("enigma" granite). The one with the wood samples are the cabinets (darker upper wood sample) and the lower one is the floors (lower lighter one). The cabinets are shaker style cherry in medium stain. Stacked to the 10' ceilings, with the upper cabinets being seedy glass display cabinets. The floors are mixed width (3, 4, 5") natural oak.

There are loads of tall windows and lots of light. However, I would like to keep the backsplash fairly light since we went darker with the counters.

Please help me choose a simple and lovely and, ideally, cheap back splash. We are way over budget and behind schedule, lol. I love the look of crackle glass subways, so if anyone has a good suggestion for that, that'd be groovy.

Please help me brainstorm!

Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another larger view of one of the (4!!) slabs.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had been looking at Encore Ceramics crackle tiles (read about them here, I think). Does anyone have a suggestion for which color(s) to consider or an opinion on whether that would be a good complement? What size (subways shape, simple brick pattern, please) tile would look best?

http://encoreceramics.com/crackles/

Maybe their Silver?

FWIW, I have painted all our open living/kitchen/dining area in Monorail Silver (first coat only so far, of course). I LOVE this color. Love, love, love. It is a bluish silver and is just lovely. I know I can change paint easily, but I don't think I will want to, as I agonized for a long time about wall color and since I picked a granite that works with it, I am sure I won't want to change it. So, I guess tile color should complement it or at least not clash.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home-builders/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7663/

Thanks in advance for any insights or ideas!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Your granite is very busy and beautiful. I would keep the backsplash very simple. I would not use crackle tile. There is enough "crackle" in the granite. Let the granite be the star. Hope that makes sense.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I have Monorail Silver in my kitchen and family room too! It is a great color, and it looks different colors in different parts of the room. I also have a medium to dark stain on my cherry cabinets. I went with Rixi tile, Mandorla. It has an ever so slight blue grey tint. It's the top left if my ipad uploads it correctly. It's not the brand you asked about, but you may want to consider it, it is a crackle, very small, can only see the crackle up close.

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What would be simpler? Any specific suggestions, please? I had hoped that crackle tile would be simple enough. :) Maybe I'll have to save crackle for my bathroom. Should I just use a cheap creamy white subway tile with grey grout? What would you choose?

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

My marble is pretty busy, and I love the backsplash with it. My cabinets arent this dark, its just the lighting.
    Edited to add: Love your granite! Maybe some crackle is way more obvious than others...I think mine is hard to notice unless fairly close.

This post was edited by OOTM_Mom on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 20:06

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That color and tile looks great! I'd been thinking that crackle tile (I think the RIxi looks similar to the Encore) would be fairly calm and muted. But, I've been wrong before, lol.

Isn't that Monorail Silver fabulous? I have painted a lot of greys in the last year or two, and this one knocks it out of the park. Just beautiful!

• szruns
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In researching it, I've realized that the closest Encore shop is 90 miles away, and my time is insanely limited, so I can't fathom traveling there to look at or order tiles.

So, I'm looking for easier options. I found this Dove Grey 3x6 crackle tile at Home Depot for 9/sf which would make my budget a lot happier and HD is very easy to order from and deal with.

What do you think? (I linked to the image on the manufacturer website, because the HD photo is overly dark, and I saw them in person, and they really are lighter.)

http://www.msistone.com/3x6-handcrafted-tiles/dove-gray/

• lam702
    9 years ago

Take a sample of the HD tile home and look at it on your counter, in your lighting. Its amazing how different color can look depending on the light. We brought home several samples which, in the store looked perfect, until we saw them in our kitchen. We finally found the right one after several attempts. You can also order samples from various tile manufacturers. It is nearly impossible to pick without seeing it in your own home.