Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calacatta Oro for island templated

Posted by annkathryn (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 18:51

My fabricator templated my slab of Calacatta Ora that will go on my island top and one side. I went to her shop today to lay the templates out on the slab - I'm so excited I had to post! She thinks she'll be able to install next week.

The veins of the slab will flow over the edge of the island, with the 2 pieces mitered at the corner of the plywood in the last picture.

This is the last major piece of a 5-month renovation of my entire house.

From Kitchen

The bottom rectangle will go on the niche cabinet just outside the kitchen.

From Kitchen

The island looks like this today with the niche visible in the hallway.

From Kitchen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calacatta Oro for island templated

It's so exciting! I think the countertops are one of the best parts of the kitchen. Your stone is gorgeous. I hope you get it installed quickly next week.

o

That marble is intoxicating! If I were there, bet I could stare at it all day!

o

We were in luck, my fabricator was able to install the marble today, earlier than planned (how often does *that* happen in a remodel?)

The result, which I'm thrilled with:

From Kitchen

From Kitchen

o

Annkathryn, the waterfall edge is stunning.

o

Wow. Wow.... and Wow. Gorgeous. That waterfall edge is unbelievable. Enjoy!
What's the grate on your E-lux (?) range?
You might be in the narrow clearances club... what are your clearances b/w your aisles?
Just gorgeous!

o

Oooooooh, I just want to feeeeeel that stone. Rub my hands all along the top and down the side. It is sublime...

o

Thanks localeater.

Co-co I'm definitely in the narrow clearance club. DH and I sweated every inch of that layout and installation, with some adjustments made along the way. In fact even today I asked the marble installers if they'd take a chunk out of the Caesarstone on either side of the range so it could be pushed in just a little bit more. They were nice enough to do that for me even though it had been installed by another company.

As it turns out, we're very comfortable with all clearances except between the island and the fridge wall, which is a bit tight. The sink and stove clearances feel roomy, but then again I'm the only cook and DH is the clean-up guy so we're not usually on those sides at the same time. We're going to get lower/smaller stools at some point.

Sink to island: 37"
Range to island: 39"
Fridge cabinets to island: 39"

The grate is a trivet from Ikea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Trivet

o

annsch just saw your comment, oh my ;-)

Forgot to mention that yes, it's an Electrolux range, induction, purchased on sale at Sears Outlet.

Once the final electrical is done I'll post all the details with more pictures in a new thread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here