Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwhippiechick

Any Ideas - Wilsonart Laminate - Verde Pompeii

vwhippiechick
9 years ago

My parents built their house in the early nineties. My mom selected a laminate countertop that was very popular at the time. The color is "verdi Pompeii" made by Wilsonart. It is a green marbled pattern. Mother uses her kitchen constantly. She loves cooking and entertaining. She is a home canner extraordinaire. Canning or freezing everything from her large garden and orchard - beans, tomatoes, berries, pears, apples, etc. This laminate has worn like iron - unbelievable. Recently due to a problem with the sink, the laminate around the sink has suffered water damage. She is looking to replace this 10' run of countertop but "verdi Pompeii" has been discontinued in December last year. I haven't inspected the damage as yet so it is possible it can be repaired but she doesn't seem to think so. Any ideas of where we could locate some of this discontinued color or how we could integrate/coordinate another material. She has about 50' (linear) of counter in three runs - two parallel cabinet runs along the walls and a long center island. The damaged area is in the cabinet run along one wall which contains the sink, dishwasher and refrigerator. She does not want to incur the cost of replacing it all. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

This post was edited by vwhippiechick on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 20:41

Comments (17)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

If the long center island is long enough, perhaps you could use it to replace the bad run, then pick something complimentary for the island.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I did a search and could only find the wilsonart color in Trinidad and Tobego. Doubt she wants to pay shipping if they even do that.

Seems the only thing to do is what Kirk suggested. That or have that run in a different color that compliments the rest of the counters. Maybe if you give us a layout and dimensions of each run. Perhaps she could move one run to that location and pick another color for a run that is on its own. Would probably look better than just changing the main center run.

• amykath
    9 years ago

This place in the UK carries it. Probably expensive to ship.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to countertop

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am visiting her this week so I will get better measurements and info. The center run has a cooktop right in the middle so doubt that using that area to substitute would be viable. Thanks so much to all who responded. She is such a loving and wonderful mom/friend. I would love to be able to help her find a solution. Will post updated info asap. Thanks again.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I have no idea if this is any help, but I have 'Olivine' on my sink section. It's not as green as that, but I truly love it.

If you were in my area (Washington, DC/MD 'burbs) I'd give you an 8 x 4' piece with a bunch of smaller pieces good for back splash, etc. I bought it obviously for a countertop, but then built myself butcher block.

She sounds like quite the mom to have. Is she related to Texas_Gem? or any of the other wild chefs here on the board! LOL!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Contact the big dogs in the business who do postforming. VT Industries or Hartson-Kennedy. They might have a sheet or two of the postforming grade tucked back into a warehouse. If not, they might know of a company that bought a lot of the postformed blanks in that color and can direct you that way to check.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I did a Google search for "wilsonart verdi pompeii" and found it on several distributor sites, though of course they might have run out of it by now. Have you thought of calling Wilsonart to see if they know of any of it that's still in stock? There's a phone number on the Verdi Pompeii page.

If you spell "verdi" with an "i," you get more hits on a search. Usually differences in spelling don't really matter, but in this case they seem to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilsonart Verdi Pompeii page

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman - She is quite the Mom! I can't even describe her fabulousness :-) Love the Olivine but don't think it will coordinate with her Verdi Pompeii. Are you the (in)famous worker of wood who gave me advice on my front door refinish? If so - update - I gave up and am having it done professionally. His price was so reasonable - $250. I'm sorry don't hate me ;-) I really tried but I just couldn't remove 142 years of paint even using the orange stuff! I will post some pics on the other forum.

NorthCarolina and Livewireoak I called wilsonart directly. What a nice lady in customer service! Rare these days. She gave me names and contact numbers of five distributors who purchased large amounts of this color just prior to it's demise. I have called all of them with no luck. ONe was Hartson Kennedy. Again very nice and helpful people at these places. The gal at Wilsonart is requesting a recommendation for a coordinating color from their design department. Thanks for the great advice.

Everyone of these people described how very popular it was so not sure why it was discontinued. Maybe we can effect some sort of repair on the area. I will know in the next couple of days.

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After inspecting the area of water damage I believe it is not significant enough to warrant replacement of all the kitchen counters. We cannot find any of the current laminate color to replace this area. What are your thoughts on the picture? It is difficult to see but you can feel a slight lifting of the laminate at the back corner of the sink. We are planning to put a new sink and faucet in place. Also I am posting another thread asking about the sink issue if anyone has thoughts on that. Thanks

• crl_
    9 years ago

What about a sink with a drainboard?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post with stainless drainboard sinks

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drain board is a good suggestion. I'll check it out. Thanks.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Whippiechick, I think $250 is fabulous!

I've actually found something that is defying my beloved Citristrip -- to a degree. On antique corbels, it's turning the old oil paint into sticky, balls of paint buggers.

I really look forward to seeing your door, and definitely hearing how he gets it off. It is one gorgeous door! I wonder if he's shaking his head at our amateurish attempts? If so, [whisper] don't tell him about my mahogany front door I'm stripping as we speak.

BTW. Returning to the subject, I can't see anything with this laminate!! A stainless drainboard would be a great idea. It'd be au currant, but should fit in well with the kitchen itself!

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH and I installed new stainless sink and faucet at Mom's yesterday. Meant to make some pics but we were in a hurry. It turned out very well and she is happy with it. We had to shave down some areas of the sink cut out but nothing too serious. So saved her a LOT o' cash and the trauma of a countertop disaster.

CEF
    He really had a tough time stripping the door surround. Tried lots of chemicals and muscle. Resorted finally to a torch which was sort of scary but it did the job. He still has to touch up some of the white and put another coat on the door. DH wanted the wild color! Be honest what do you think? The color on my monitor is not as deep as the actual door. It is called "Daredevil"

• David_Horne_9964
    9 years ago

I used Wilsonart Verde Pompeii extensively when remodeling my house. It's sad that it has been discontinued. In the -0 finish and under the right lighting, it has a luster few other laminates can match. The photo's are of my upstairs bathroom that I remodeled 10 years ago. The photo's are only a few days old.

• David_Horne_9964
    9 years ago

next photo

• David_Horne_9964
    9 years ago

On my monitor the tub surround is shifted a bit to green but the sink photo is right on the money.

• roqgroupllc
    9 years ago

Hi, I too am on a desperate hunt for a quantity of Verde Pompeii laminate. I recently moved out of a condo here in California and the movers did some damage to the laminate walls in the elevator which, wouldn't you know it, are Verde Pompeii. We need two panels but since we can't find any supply,the condo association is now saying they have to completely redo the interior of the elevator. Help! Has anyone found any of this supply any where in the country? Thank you!