Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Granite Woes!

jerzeegirl
11 years ago

This makes me so sad.

We picked out our granite two weeks ago and the fabricators templated it last week.

We just love the granite we selected - White Delicatus (white, cream, brown and black). A beautiful piece of granite.

The fabricators promised it would be installed before Thanksgiving. I have an "L" shaped counter so the granite was going to be cut in two pieces with one seam.

Today we get a call from the fabricator. They cut the countertop but unfortunately the thickness of the slab is uneven. They couldn't put the two pieces of granite together because they couldn't get the seam level and even!

There is really nothing they can do to fix the problem and apparently every once in awhile this happens. Has anyone ever heard of this? This is a first for me!

Needless to say, I am really upset because it took us so long to pick this slab and now we have to pick out another.

Here is a picture of the slab that will never be.

Comments (5)

• eam44
    11 years ago

You must be working with an excellent, highly professional, reliable fabricator. He saw a potential problem and nipped it in the bud. Sorry about the slab, but it's kind of like falling in love with the wrong guy - painful, but you're better off knowing than you are with those butterflies. And you'll find one worthy of you soon.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Can you find other uses for the slab?

We had to buy a whole slab of marble for our fireplace surround, so then we used it in slides built into our book cases to be used as drink holders by our sofa, then I designed a pedestal for a statue in our foyer, then we used it as a counter top in Dh's study. So we got our money's worth out of the slab.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    11 years ago

I am a fabricator.

your fabricators explanation surprises me. it's possible the slab varies in thickess but this is not unusual and can usually be dealt with by backgrinding the bottom edge of the stone to make the thickness equal across a joint. this is normally only unworkable if the stone has a thinkness variation greater than roughly 1/8". not common but it does happen.

in the event the stone is crowned such that there is a bit of a lip at the joint there are a couple of options. If it's minimal (1/16" or less)the stone can usually be set so that whatever lip is present is towards the back side. Seam setting tools actually allow the installers to bend the granite very slightly to help with this problem.

for larger lips the options always exists to grind the joint flat after install and then polish it. takes above average skill but quite doable particularly on a lighter color.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

old ryder: They said the variation was 1/8" and the only way to fix the problem would be to backgrind the stone but they didn't really recommend it because the backgrinding would have been extensive and they might not be able to make it perfect. My DH went to the fabricator to look at the slab after it was cut and he said the difference in thickness between the two pieces was very obvious. I believe he said that the stone was thinner at the center than at the ends. How weird!

Annie: Since I don't have to pay for this slab since it was defective, I would rather just go back to the granite store and pick another slab. I am sure they will be able to use the stone for smaller pieces like vanities so it will not really go to waste.

EAM - you made me laugh - I did have that feeling of love lost. Yes, these fabricators seem very professional and I am glad they were honest with me even though it was not what I wanted to hear.

• jerzeegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oldryder:

I guess I should have asked this before.

Are there slabs that are more susceptible to this variation in thickness than others or is it just luck of the draw?

We are going back at 10 am when the store opens to pick a new slab and I don't want the same thing to happen again!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio