Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allisonkbye

Trying to Avoid Having a Seam in Granite Countertops

allisonkbye
9 years ago

First off, want to thank you all for having such a wonderful community here. In redoing our kitchen I've been lurking on these forums for awhile now and some of the posts help me made final decisions when it came to selecting things!

Anyways, the reason I'm here, we are getting granite counter tops, and on the one counter we are about 1.5" short of not having to have a seam. I would like to avoid having a seam if at all possible, but I'm not sure if it is.

One thought was to bring the wall out 2" (I don't know how, just add a layer or two of drywall? haha) We are redoing the backsplash anyways. However, if we do that then it would have to stop that at the stove (so it doesn't stick out), then do the same on the other side of the stove to match. I'm just not sure how it would look, to have a "recessed" wall for the stove.

I think that's our only option to avoid having a seam. If it's not a feasible option, then I have to decide where the seam goes. My options are
-go straight back at the corner so it's parallel to the sink, instead of diagonal like it does now
-middle of the sink
-back corner between stove and wall, just do a 2" strip. I normally set stuff there anyways, so I'd literally be the only one who would notice or see it

Any thoughts or insight to this would be much appreciated!

Comments (11)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

How long is that run? It doesn't look longer than the average slab of granite, to me. Have you already met with a fabricator and chosen your slabs?

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

My layout is almost exactly like yours. Our seam is at the sink.

Photo of our seam.

Some photos to show the layout. Sink wall is 12' 3".

Edited for spelling.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 20:42

• allisonkbye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have picked out the slab, it's exactly 113". They told us to assume it will be 112" once they clean the edges. To start it exactly where it is now and end touching the wall it's about 114", so technically we need 2". I haven't picked the backsplash out yet, but I figured that will bring out the wall at least 1/4", maybe 1/2" with the mortar. I'm so close!

• allisonkbye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@debrak2008 Is that Alaskan White? If not it looks IDENTICAL to what we picked out, which I picked after seeing pics on here on another thread of it. Anyways, I only noticed the seam in your close up picture because I was looking for it, so that's definitely reassuring! Thanks for sharing the pics!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Ours is called White Diamond but I think, White Diamond, Alaskan White, and Bianco Antico are all cousins in the granite world.

We never notice the seam in person and so glad its at the sink.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh darn, you are just a tad short! In that case, I imagine the sink would work. Or maybe he can do a little piece at the very end, where you said you would probably have things sitting out, anyway?

This post was edited by Errant on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 12:34

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Isn't there usually, or maybe even always, a seam at the sink? A well done seam at the sink with the right filler can be nearly invisible. I've had it done twice and had to look hard to find the seams in front and back of the sink.

This post was edited by deickhoff0 on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 21:59

• Jillius
    9 years ago

How thick is your granite? If you use it for the backsplash too, a 3cm thick slab is roughly 1.25" wide and could cover a gap between the wall and the stone. Then get some kind of edge detailing that has an extra piece glued to it to make the shape. With any luck, that'll stick out enough to make up the remaining difference.

• allisonkbye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jillius, that's a really good idea! The granite is 3cm. I bet if I put the back splash on the wall first then did a lip there with the granite, kinda like it is now, it would be just enough to cover up any seam I would have there.

Right now I'm leaning towards just doing a seam in the sink, but if the template people think they can pull off giving me a 2" strip back there without it looking hideous, then I'll probably go for it. I hate the look of having cluttered counters, but we use our toaster and knife set almost daily, and that spot is where they sit now. So I really don't think it will be too obvious, but if I can see it and if it looks hideous, it will probably bother constantly just knowing it's there. I'll keep ya'll updated. You've all been so helpful thank you so much!! Love this forum :)

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator.

One option is to set the end splash 1st (rather than on top of the granite). This shortens the sink run by the thickness of the stone. The only downside is you will see the tiny seam in the front edge where the splash comes out to the face of the counter.

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

Another option is you could pick a different slab that has longer dimensions to avoid a seam...