Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

partial counter install day!!

muskokascp
12 years ago

Finally at long last my white macabus was installed today! It was a smooth install and I am really happy with the counters so far. There is still the backsplash to do, the window ledges, the cooktop needs to be fit flush (DH doing that as I type) and of course the island soapstone is a few weeks away.

I was most nervous about the L shaped area because they could not take the two pieces of the L from the same slab. I was worried it would look like a piecemeal job but it turned out great. The two slabs were bookends so they were able to take the small piece of the L from the same part and match them up. The seam is terrific IMO and the L looks like it was from the same slab. I held up cutting the stone for 3 days until I could get to the fabricator and see what they were proposing to do.

Breezy - they cut the faucet and soap dispenser holes on site and the dust was negligible.

There are lots of finishing touches left but fingers crossed for a Christmas end date.

Comments (25)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

just gloriously beautiful!!... as are your floors!

• sochi
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! Congratulations, what a stone. Worth the wait I hope?

• Nicole
    12 years ago

That is an awesome seam, IMO. Can I ask where you got your pulls from? I love them.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Looks fantastic, I'm sure you'll be smitten with it.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Seriously gorgeous.

• stephct
    12 years ago

That is so beautiful! What is white macabus?

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Your counters are gorgeous! They did a fabulous job with the seam at the L -- both with the seam itself and the pattern matching.

I wish I could find White Macaubus quartzite with that kind of vein pattern here. It has that gorgeous white and gray marble look. The local slabs look similar to Sochi's Luce di Luna, which I love, but the strong horizontal stripe pattern competes with my ribbon striped sapele cabinets.

I really like your pulls too. What style are they? They look like a great match for the handles on Gaggenau appliances.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

Sighhhhhhhh I really like!! Very pretty and I know exciting. Have you stopped stroking it yet?? hee hee Also, having window envy in a BIG way!!

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

GORGEOUS!! Can you tell me about your drawers under the sink? Are those functional? Love that!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

WOW!!! Can't wait to see it all finished!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I'm so happy for you. You've waited so very long to get counters. Those Top Knobs Princetonian pulls look amazing in your space with that stone. It's fun to see them in your kitchen since I came so close to using them, but didn't. Now I get to admire them in a beautiful kitchen.

That seam is ridiculous. Can you show/tell us where it actually is? I can't make it out. Is it keyholed? It feels almost like one of Palimpsest's "find the seams" threads.

Your pic of the installers drilling the hole reminds me of the one I took and posted.

I appreciate you calling it to my attention.

I CANNOT wait to see more pics and that soapstone.

Again, I'm thrilled for you to get to this point at long last!

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Isn't that pretty!

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's hard to stop looking at them. I did wait so so long for the right stone. I thought I was going with marble for the longest time but the slabs around here just didn't do it for me. I am sure the project manager at the stone yard is just as happy as I am that I finally made a decision!

Nicole6 - the pulls are the Princetonian from Top Knobs.

westtoeast - the top sink drawer is false but the two lower ones are functional. They have a u-shaped cut out in the middle to allow space for the plumbing. There have been some threads on GW about drawers under sinks. I will try to post a picture later. I went with drawers here for the symmetry of the cabinets - there is 20 feet of cabinets with no uppers. It is broken in the middle by the cooktop, to the left side of the cooktop is the sink and to the right side there is a lovely long run of counter.

breezy - Up close the seam is easy to see but they matched the stone so well it really does blend in. In one of the top pictures you can see the long piece of the L installed but the shorter piece is not. This is where the seam is. It has been fun watching your kitchen journey and I can't wait to see your banquette and island install.

• sandn
    12 years ago

What a high drama day. What beautiful stone!
    Looks wonderful. The sink cutout looks great. Did you get a small reveal or is it flush?

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

that is one great seam! The small veins are amazing tromp l'oeil (sp?) for the seam, too.

Please do post a pic after the cooktop is in--DH must be fabulous if he's cutting it (and the window ledges) himself! Is it going above the oven?

and of course post when you're done!

cheers

• User
    12 years ago

Really beautiful. I love the movement in the stone....and your floors are gorgeous. c

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Did you just hear be gasp?! I did ! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! Love it, truly love it. Thanks for sharing the pics of partial instillation..can't wait to see more.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Wow - those counters are stunning! Enjoy, enjoy.. I would not be able to stop staring.

• catkin
    12 years ago

Awesome.

• la_koala
    12 years ago

Great job!! I would not have noticed the seam if you hadn't pointed out the photos. :-)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooo pretty

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

To echo everyone else: "What seam?" I can't see it at all!

I think you are going to start a new trend here with your sink drawers. Love them! This is going to be such a beautiful kitchen. Can't wait to see it all done.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Seam...what seam. I agree, you sink drawers will be copied many times over. Can't wait for more photos!

• kaysd
    12 years ago

I would love to know what you plan to use as a backsplash with those gorgeous counters.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've had them a week and still love love them. They have had lots of use this week and no etching or any stains! Yay.

My sink drawers are not really `my` invention. The designer I was working with had them in the plan and I was not familiar with that as an option until I searched them out. Others here on GW have them too. I like them, I like the continuity of the counter run plus I have regular doors on the island sink for anything that is a bit taller than the drawers.

The backsplash - I plan on using the same stone on the long run of counters under the windows as they are only about 7" high. It is also going on the window ledges and the wall behind the cooktop. To tell the truth putting it behind the cooktop is giving me pause but I don`t want to overthink it. They are coming today to measure for the backsplash so I hope that means they will get it installed soon. In the area where the seam is, I am going to put a tile that matches the off white in the stone - thinking the Heath ovals maybe..