Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg27007

Kitchen Layout Help Please!!

meg27007
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

New to posting, but always lurking!

My husband and I are building a new house this winter/spring and are stumped with our kitchen layout. I originally wanted an L-shaped kitchen with an island, with the island housing the sink and dishwasher and the L sections housing the fridge, pantry, gas stove top, built-in microwave over wall oven. But, it turns out this layout will not work in our kitchen as it is too small. So now we are looking a more of a U-shape with an island. The kitchen measures 18'6'' x 9'6'' with a break in the long wall for the door to the mudroom. It is just my husband and me for now, may have kids in this house in the future. We typically are in the kitchen at the same time prepping and cleaning. We do occasionally entertain and have our families over (anywhere from 3-10 people at a time).

What is a good layout of appliances (fridge, dishwasher, gas range, built-in microwave above wall oven), pantry and sink here?

Would it be best to move the sink from the island and place it below the window along side the mudroom (and place dishwasher there as well) and make a corner pantry? Or, should we leave the sink (and dishwasher) where they are and make that wall where the window is one giant cupboard-style pantry? If we do put the pantry along the wall with the window, should we work around the window or take it out?

Any other thoughts on kitchen layout would be helpful as I have been staring at this for too long to make any sense out of it!! TIA

Comments (6)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

So now we are looking a more of a U-shape with an island.

Sorry, but you can't really fit an island. Two sides of the U take up 4 feet (2' each, plus a little for counter overhang), and aisles take up 3-5', so there's no room for an island.

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

Roughly, you can have a 6 foot island in that size space. (2 runs of cabinets on the end walls + a pair of 4 foot aisles = 12 feet and a little change). But that will only get smaller for things like decorative details and the amount of depth taken by appliances.

I think you might go over to building a home forum for some perspective on your complete design. I'm not trying to pick on you but I think you need more than a kitchen design.

Every doorway shown has contention between open doors and walkways. Or the doors and appliances. The dining room is a little too small to be used. Also I wonder if perhaps it needs to be where the kitchen is? Do visitors come into your home and immediately sit in the dining room? There are also some philosophical things about spending a lot of money and what looks like more square footage to house cars rather than people. Is an "L" there the best use of space? Would it work better to have mixed utility space along the back of the kitchen/dining room in a long, shallow room and extend the garage a small amount?

As far as specifics go, I'd put the clean up sink and dishwasher on the short wall with the window. I'd use as large a single sink as I could cram into a 30" cabinet. I'd use the rest of the wall for dish and prep storage. That lets others do dishes with access to water and perhaps something like the coffee pot without interfering with the chef. I'd put tall storage on the ref wall - using a bit for a microwave. The remaining run on the garage side - center the range on the wall between the opposing tall storage and the doorway. I'd probably cram a small sink in beside the range for vegetable washing and pot filling/draining and leave the island clean for a big work area/buffet.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, she does have room for an island because the kitchen is open to the living room. You would be correct if she had a wall there instead...

I like bmore's idea, except I would fit an 18" prep sink on the island instead of by the range.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

This should fit as is...but everything feels quite cramped. I added about 6" to the dining area and left entry. About a foot across in the laundry down through the living room....and about another foot behind the stools at the island and across to the dining room. Now, it feels much more spacious, if it's possible with your budget.

The overall plan is fine with the existing square footage you have, with the possible exception of room for the stools at the island. I moved the sink and opened up the dining room to the kitchen. This will bring light into both spaces and gives you a view from both sinks. I also moved the fridge and made that window larger.

From Kitchen plans

And maybe something like this over the main sink and dishwasher rather than the range? The area over the sink would be open with glass uppers (open from both sides) to store pretty plates and glasses. Just an idea :)

From Kitchen ideas

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

If you were able to add that extra foot from laundry down to living room...you should have space for a pantry and a bench with hooks. At least a shallow one with shoe storage underneath.

Also I moved the laundry window and sink down a bit to center it from the outside...and to give you more folding space by the laundry. It's a great space and can give you a bunch of storage!

From Kitchen plans

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 17:27

• meg27007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your responses, it has given me much to think about.

Unfortunately we are tight on our budget as well as current dimensions for set backs on the property. So though the dining room may seem small (and an odd location), it cannot be much larger.

lavender_lass you have given me some great examples! Thanks for the time. We are meeting with our architect tomorrow and will present this information.