Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Safety concerns over chemicals in pulldown faucet hoses

peegee
9 years ago

Cross post with plumbing. Was researching black Friday bargains and about to order a pulldown faucet for my new house's kitchen when I started wondering:
Does anyone have concern over material in pullout/down kitchen faucets? I was dismayed to see nylon in so many, and thought braided metal like I currently have would be the answer, but then looking into what is inside those braided metal hoses has left me just as concerned....I don't buy water in plastic bottles, we eat organic food whenever possible, but I don't hear anything about what the heck one's water may be in contact with given the chemical compounds in the linings. My well water has tested really pure....do I need to forego having a pull-down in my new place, and just have a standard hi-arc? Obviously the supply lines could not be connected with braided lines either....?????????????? Anyone install a plain hi arc? Might add I rarely have used the current house's pull-out hose.

Comments (18)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

So, don't buy one. Plastic water mains. Plastic pipes in your house. Plastic quick connects. Plastic everywhere. You've got plenty of other sources to worry about other than your faucet.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Look up the MSDS (material safety data sheet) plastocs are not all equal and certainly not all dangerous.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Often the pipes on the incoming side of people's houses are not plastic, but the outgoing ones are, ymmv. PVC, by the way is well worth avoiding (which is what a lot of outgoing pipes are).

My take is that if the only place the water comes into contact with plastic is inside the faucet, then the limited exposure time means there's probably not much opportunity for anything to leach into the water. I try hard to avoid plastics too, but this particular source does not worry me. That said, if it bothers you, it's easy enough to avoid.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Does anyone have concern over material in pullout/down kitchen faucets?

I don't. Like it or not (and I am one who doesn't), plastic has become part of our lives and I think there is no point worrying about what you can't change. Car interiors, remotes, key board, trays, buckets, spectacles, ...... your skin is regularly in contact with plastic. Oil and ketchup are often sold plastic bottles.

What I avoid in the kitchen are non stick pans and aluminum clads.

But as the others said, if it bothers you, avoid it. You may also want to check that your shower, sink tap plumbing does not plastic water pipes.

This post was edited by gemcap on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 23:11

• Kippy
    9 years ago

With the new laws concerning lead solder in faucets, we can only use plastic ones here for rentals.

Personally, they worry me more than the old faucets

• peegee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I have no plastic piping entering or exiting. Sitting on plastic is not likely to be so concerning; ingesting may be another story altogether. I'm not trying to imply that this one potential source for chemicals is worrisome in itself, but every single little bit likely adds up, possibly over time, and for me, realizing there there was this one additional unknown which I use daily was upsetting. However, Karin_mt puts this in good perspective -as is generally recommended, I run the water a bit before drinking/ingesting, anyway so I guess that will help....thanks!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

My town supplies treated Shenandoah River water to the taps. I'm taking my chances with the store-bought stuff from clear plastic bottles, because the city water makes me gag.
    Casey

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"It is not what goeth into the mouth that defileith a man, but that which comes out."

• schicksal
    9 years ago

>>Does anyone have concern over material in pullout/down kitchen faucets?

Nope, none at all.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

If you are worried then you may want to look at one of the mgs faucets. They are entirely stainless steel and will cause you no worry.

However, these are high end faucets. You won't get this type of thing, with no plastic whatsoever and no metal that's reactive, any other way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eco Friendly Faucets

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

I'd be VERY surprised if there were no plastic in your water system The well casing is usually plastic, Schedule 80 or 120 PVC. The pipe run is usually polyethylene or ABS. The pressure tank bladder is most assuredly plastic. The well pump has plastic in it. The house piping is usually CPVC or PEX. Polybutylene in trailers and some older homes. All of your flex connect lines are plastic. Your drain lines will all be plastic in a leach field sitution with septic. The septic tank itself will usually be plastic.

Plastic is everywhere. Eliminating it from one single dispensary fixture does nothing. It's a tiny drop in the bucket. Either focus your efforts elsewhere, or don't sweat it.

• lyfia
    9 years ago

You might want to take a look at your copper pipes too if that is what you're using if concerned about something leaching into your water.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

There is no flex line that does not have either plastic or rubber in except on star trek- of those nylon is perhaps the most noble. (Unless you set it on fire or start to sand it and suck on the dust) It is what is used for tubing in hospitals.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Does anyone have concern over material in pullout/down kitchen faucets?

It's on the list of things I worry about, but it's below my concerns about Ebola striking my neighborhood.

I figure that if I keep my vaccines up to date, don't smoke, don't drive drunk, get moderate exercise and eat a reasonable diet I'll be pretty safe from most of what really kills people.

• jrhutch
    9 years ago

This was a hysterical string to read! I am in the same predicament as the original author. i agree with jakuvall, choose the nylon for the pull down spray.

• michael
    5 years ago

What is wrong with some of you. He wants he's stuff to be safe and your trying to defending the company by saying other things are bad for you also.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Its a five year old post.......................