Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

New Marble & Soapstone Kitchen - LOTS of pics!

soonermagic
16 years ago

We moved into our new construction home a few weeks ago, so thought it time to post some pics. This forum was extremely helpful in my planning this kitchen so many THANKS to everyone for sharing their ideas and what they love and dislike about their own kitchens.

Island with prep sink and Sharp Micro Drawer:

{{gwi:1509917}}

Built in Pantry Hutch:

{{gwi:1509918}}

Bertazzoni Range (36" 5 burner - loving it!). Backsplash is a beveled edge subway tile:

{{gwi:1392171}}

Franke Orca sink with Hamat Julianne faucet. The three air switches operate sink light, undercab lights and disposal:

{{!gwi}}

Ticor Prep Sink with Hamat Julianne faucet:

{{!gwi}}

Pendant lights (West Elm)

{{!gwi}}

Marble countertop:

{{!gwi}}

Soapstone:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (61)

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Oh, fabulous! I'd have guessed that the 1920s were your inspiration instead of the '40s, but whatever, it's a beautiful kitchen. I love your soapstone. It's a little more restrained than mine, more classic, and just lovely. The veining is marvelous. Your cabinets are classic, too.

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

fabulous!

• november
    16 years ago

wow...it's just gorgeous! I'm drooling over your counters and your range - yummy. Can I ask how big your island is?

congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen!

• kgsmom
    16 years ago

WOW- BEAUTIFUL KITCHEN!!! wonderful attention to detail. I love it! what are those gorgeous floors?

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is wonderful! Great choices with the soapstone and the marble with those gorgeous cabinets. Your island is a real stand-out. (Is that a space for a seat in front of the bookshelves within?) I also love what you did with the tiles going up so high. I'm thinking of bringing my backsplash all the way up and over my window, as you originally wanted to do. And your pendants are fabulous. Your kitchen has a really "settled in" look, belying its new-ness. Pat yourself on the back, Girlfriend!

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

What a beautiful, timeless kitchen. I love your counters, and those pendants are really pretty. I really like the air switch idea you used for the lights. Love your range too!!

• clancyspad
    16 years ago

Beautiful! Do you know what the exact mixture is for your stain?

• osswb
    16 years ago

SoonerMagic - Beautiful kitchen! I especially love the feet on your island - looks like it has been there a long time. Very unique!!!

MaryT

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Very beautiful kitchen, and I love your marble. I don't remember seeing anything similar. Would you please tell me the NAME OF YOUR MARBLE. Thanks,

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Beautiful, looks like some serious cooks live there. Not sure why, but it looks like it's designed to be used not just 'another pretty face'. Really well done.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Just lovely! You will never regret respecting the age of your home while planning your kitchen. You did a great job- wish more people in my neighborhood would take their remodeling cues from their homes instead of pushy kitchen design magazines!

Which soapstone did you use, and who did your soapstone/marble install? It is a beautiful marriage!

-pecan

• donna214
    16 years ago

Just beautiful. I am in the design phase of my kitchen remodel in a 100 year old craftsman style colonial. We are trying to keep the design to the style and period of the house. I love your marble and am considering doing all marble or a marble island and pietra cardoza perimeter as you have done with your soapstone. What is the name of the marble you used. I have seen pictures of a beautiful marble called breccia imperiale, but I think it may be a bit to pricey and rare for our purposes. Also love Your floors. What kind of wood and stain did you use?

• jill_2006
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Your kitchen is wonderful.

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of the comments and compliments. Here's answers to the questions:

Very funny comment re 1920s versus 1940s. I'm in Oklahoma, so what was in vogue here in the 1940s probably was 1920s style in more metropolotan areas!

Island - I believe it's 3 foot by 8 foot, but that's just recollection not actual measurement. It's huge (but not so big that I can't easily reach to clean the middle of the island -- a note taken from this forum). There is room for two stools at the bookcase end of the island. The bookcase was recessed for just that purpose. Good eye! I just haven't yet found the perfect stools and this island warrants just the right stool.

Floors - are walnut. No stain, just sanded and poly'ed. They are breathtaking. I knew they would be pretty, but the day that they finished them up, I was stunned by how gorgeous they are.

Marble - I think it's carerra, but I'm not positive. My stoneyard had no marble in the yard large enough for the island or that I particularly liked. I showed them a picture of a carerra topped island and said that's what I wanted. I did not see the slab until it was installed at my house (can you believe I was that trusting!). They got this slab from Walker Zanger in Dallas and I really don't think it's carerra because it has just as many brown streaks as grey streaks in it. It's divine, if I can say so! And I was so pleasantly surprised that they were able to do the island as one slab with no seam. It's huge.

Soapstone - Again, I'm not certain what it is, but the stoneyard says it's Ice Flower. It doesn't look like other pictures of Ice Flower that I've seen on this forum. It has brown and green flecks in it, strong white veining and some green veining. I didn't want green in it, but this was the only soapstone in all of Oklahoma and the yard ordered it just for me, so I'm not about to complain. Now that it's installed, I am glad that the green gives a subtle hint of color to the kitchen.

• dalerb66
    16 years ago

Taking the subway halfway up the window was a compromise between me and the builder

Oh my gosh, I spotted the compromise! :-) I really think you made the right decision. I like that there is some wall color there.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Love your marble, but I don't think its carrera, as carrera has a much more gray background. I don't think its calacatta ora either. Whatever it is, I love it and would like to find something similar.

• softfurn
    16 years ago

Gasp! I have Berta lust!!!!!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

softfurn,
    Pardon me, but what's "Berta lust?"

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Just beautiful!

• kaypeakay
    16 years ago

Such a handsome kitchen. I love that you used quality materials in a timeless combination. It's gorgeous, congrats.
    One question: Do you know the "name" of the glass you used in the hutch? I can't tell for sure, but I like that it looks "antique" but it also looks like it has larger texture (for lack of a better word:) than "seeded" glass.

• tinahollywood
    16 years ago

Wow! This is MY dream kitchen. I've just started the reno but this is exactly what I have in mind! It's just lovely. You must be very proud. Hope mine comes out half as nice.

T

• tinahollywood
    16 years ago

I'm still oogling your kitchen pictures! Your wall tile is gorgeous. I've been looking at Daltile's Rittenhouse Square online but I don't see a beveled version. Would you tell me the name and color of your tile? And would you come do my kitchen??? ha ha

T

• bikey
    16 years ago

Beautiful.... You should be very proud of what you've built. I love the counters and the island.

Do you have plans to put anything above the range? We have the same look with 3x6 tiles and no medallion. I keep thinking I'd like something there.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Soonermagic, if you are in the OKC area and would be willing to recommend your contractor, would you please email me privately?

We loved our GC, but he cannot get to a project we need done 'sooner' rather than later. Would love a recommendation. Thanks!

• bloominwhereplanted
    16 years ago

napagirl - no one else answered you, but "Berta lust" refers to wanting her Bertazzoni range!

bloomin...

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi. Thanks for the positive comments on the kitchen. I just can't wait to do Thanksgiving dinner in there! As for your questions:

Wall tile - It's made by Adex. I purchased it at HomeDepot Expo at a great discount (someone had returned it!). I love that it has a little more interest than regular subway. We used Daltile Rittenhouse in the upstairs bathroom. This beveled edge tile is much more interesting and sophisticated.

Pecanpie - We're in Norman, not OKC, and this was a custom new construction, not just kitchen reno. I think my builder only works in Norman and is concentrating on new builds and whole-house renovations, not just kitchens. But, I'll email you his info.

Bikey - We're not going to put anything over the tile above the range. I actually like the clean look. And, I'm cooking so much in this kitchen that the tile backsplash actually has a utilitarian use. I've gotten it very dirty behind the range a couple of times already. I like that it's simple tile and easy to clean up.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

ohmigosh soonermagic! How did I miss your beautiful kitchen?
    May I please archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• glad
    16 years ago

i missed it, too. love it! and, if you're still checking in, do you know if the beveled edge tile is more difficult to work with, i.e. cut around things, than the flat rittenhouse square? that was my original plan, but am thinking of doing with the bevel instead.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I love it too! I really like the floor tile in pic #3 (laundry room?) in Photobucket (the multi colored floor tile). [File name PICT0144.jpg]

What is it? I think that may be just the tile for my kitchen/foyer/PR floor! I've been looking for a tile for months!

TIA!!!

• bmmeaux
    16 years ago

For some reason the only pic showing up is #1. Is this happening to any body else? It may be my computer.

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well hello. New interest in my kitchen, Yippie!

Starpooh, I filled out the information link and would love to have the kitchen posted. Thanks for asking.

Beveled edge tile - I do believe it is more difficult to get a clean look when cutting around things. Hence, I went with no outlets in the backsplash. I love the extra, yet subtle, texture that the beveled edge gives.

The laundry room floor is multi-colored slate in a French [something] pattern. My tile guys had a terrible time getting the pattern correct and initially told me it couldn't be done, even though all the sizes came pre-cut and with a pattern. They were terrible tile guys. Not the same guys who did a super job on my backsplashes. The tiles should also have a sealer/enhancer on them. My terrible tile guys just installed a sealer. With an enhancer, the tile is stunning.

As for pictures, my apologies, I moved them to their own photo album, so will post again.

Island with prep sink and micro drawer:

Built-in China Hutch/Pantry:

Bertazzoni Range:

Frank Orca Sink/Hamat Faucet:

Ticor Prep Sink with Hamat Faucet:

Pendant Lights:

Marble Countertop:

Soapstone:

• randgalt
    16 years ago

We are thinking of marble for a small "pastry/pasta" section of our kitchen. What are the advantages of marble for making dough as compared to granite or soapstone?

• clyde10
    16 years ago

You have created a truly beautiful kitchen, love the island. Can you tell me what the dimensions of the room are?

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

Thank you for reposting your pictures so we could all see this stunning kitchen! Absolutely gorgeous!

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Wow! Amazing! I just came across this website/forun while doing research if I should put honed marble in my kitchen. I LOVE the look and it's my first choice.

Your color scheme is almost identical to my kitchen and I love your island and soapstone. Do you know how thick your marble is? It looks thinner to me, like 2 cm which I like, but I don't see any applied edge so is it 3 cm and the pictures are just deceiving?

How is your marble holding up? I found some other threads on this forum and it sounds like marble is just fine to use if you know what your getting. I'm picking out my slabs this weekend and need to decide if I'm doing marble or honed black granite (or combo). Thanks!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

I lovelovelove your kitchen. It's lovely.

• determined_sammie
    16 years ago

How do you like your Sharp micro drawer? I'm hopefully ordering one next month. If I can be a bit rude, where did you purchase it?

• quietlife3
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I saw it posted in a different thread and had a question for you, but didn't want to hijack. So I'll ask it here...how much counter space do you have between your sink and refrigerator? Is your refrigerator counter depth? I'm considering a layout that looks similar and am concerned about the sink area feeling too cramped with the fridge right there (about 18" away for me). I appreciate any insight you can give me. Thanks!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bumping ...
    Great kitchen and don't want it to drop off too soon.
    Also, theres more questions for soonermagic, the OP.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

Absolutely stunning!

• clax66
    16 years ago

Dear Soonermagic: what is the name of your marble countertop and how do you find working on it? We have devoted quite a bit of time into researching products, poring through magazines and finally creating a vision of our new kitchen. While lurking on this site, we came across some photos of your beautiful kitchen. What an inspiration..to see a kitchen that embodies many of the details we are after! Thank you for sharing:)

• cheri127
    16 years ago

Soonermagic: Your kitchen is breathtaking. I love your marble and soapstone; those white veins are stunning! And your hutch....just beautiful. I hope you enjoy it for many years!

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I missed the questions and thanks for bumping.

Marble - It was sold to me as carerra (I never know how to spell it!), but I've been told that's not it, given that its coloring is primarily white and not gray. It has gray and brown veining. Whatever it is, I love it. It is 3cm. It's holding up well, but is developing the patina I expected. We weren't careful on moving day and big, heavy boxes full of kitchen supplies were dragged across the marble (my parents did it; how could I yell, "not on my marble!" when they were so graciously helping us move in?) and there are places where you can see drag marks when the light hits it just so. And DH allowed the A/V installer to use the island top as his work station one day; it's pretty dinged up where he was working. Hubby's response, "You wanted it to have a patina." Well, yes, but not intentionally! No staining yet; a couple of etch marks, but nothing drastic. The biggest shock is that I have a crack in the marble, where I took a heavy stock pot full of a double batch of chili off the Berta, turned around & plopped it on the marble. I don't know if it was the heat, the weight, or both, but CRACK! It's about four inches long running into the marble from the edge. Geez! I don't think marble is normally susceptible to cracking, so I don't know why mine did.

Sharp Micro Drawer - We love it. It's the best micro I've had and it's very convenient for us under the counter, though my parents' first comment was , "You know your kids someday will be cooking their toys." Thank you; that's why it has a kid lock. I purchased it online from one of the appliance places that is discussed with frequency on the appliance forum. I don't remember which one ... just who ever had the best price at the time. I would suggest getting the manual open and close. We went with the style that you have to push the button to open and close. That's not intuiative, especially for guests who always grab for the handle.

Sink to Fridge - I don't know the measurement offhand and I'm writing from work (shhhh!) so can't run and measure. It doesn't feel cramped to me. There have been times, though, (i.e., Thanksgiving) when I've had too many dirty dishes that I wanted to wash by hand that just didn't fit in that space, so I used the island behind me. Day-to-day it is plenty of room. DH has asked numerous times if he can set up the coffee maker in that space (since it's right next to the fridge, which is right next to the pantry). It would be a very convenient place for the coffeemaker, but I need that space free. The fridge is counterdepth. It's a GE Profile. Love the fridge.

We continue to enjoy the kitchen immensely and are cooking more than we ever have!

• quietlife3
    16 years ago

Thanks for answering...btw, your secret is safe with me. There's usually something else I should be doing when I'm here (like cleaning up after supper).

• clax66
    16 years ago

Thank you for responding; I look forward to the day when I can choose marble (the crack you mention doesn't deter me:)In the meantime, my kitchen is down to its studs so I've bookmarked your photo as a favourite to inspire me while in the middle of home renos and a winter snowstorm:)

• peggross1
    16 years ago

I think the marble you have might be what I am getting; it's called Danby Imperial, mined in VT, and IS recommended for use in kitchens, unlike any other marble I have heard of.

(Or, if the brown is more of a golden color, possibly you have Carrera Gold, which we are getting in our MaBa, but which is NOT recommended for use in kitchen counters.)

Here is a link that might be useful: VT Danby Marble Quarry Link

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's a new pic of the kitchen, showing the SoonerMagic wall art that DH gave me for Christmas, to help me remember my time spent here.

And here's the crack in the marble:

QuietLife - I measured and there is exactly 25 inches from the edge of the sink to the panel of the fridge.

• pdxgal
    16 years ago

Soonermagic - Thanks for answering my questions about the marble and the size of it. Did you seal the marble? I'm getting honed marble on my island in two weeks and am still trying to figure out the best sealer/treatment to do.

Love seeing the kitchen liven in. Your color scheme is wonderful. It all looks so nice together.

• wendyprime
    14 years ago

Where can I get those gorgeous pendant lights? If it's west elm only, then they probably don't carry anymore :(

• canuck88
    13 years ago

SoonerMagic, your photos aren't showing up anymore... I know this is an ancient thread, but I would love to see the photos - can you email them to me? scott.harris (at) rogers.com