Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quartersawn Oak Shaker w/ Soapstone reveal

Posted by marymac91 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 18:34

1903 house
Northern New Jersey
kitchen was remodeled in 1966 with small addition and the ceiling was dropped to 8 ft. I want the kitchen to work for me and to improve resale value.
The kitchen is roughly 15 x 10 ft.

I can't find any before pictures.I wanted a craftsman look. I was trying to have it look classic, so that it wouldn't look dated 5 -10 years from now.

I bought some of the cabinets at Green Demolitions as part of a kitchen display sale. I bought additional Schuler cabinets at Lowe's. The display came with a chrome faucet and chrome Top Knobs pulls. I would have picked a different finish.

Medallion / Schuler QS Oak Shaker cabinets
GE Cafe Range
Samsung CD FD refrigerator
Bosch DW (existing)
Sharp 24" OTC MW (not installed yet)
red oak flooring
Anderson 400 replacement window (to replace rotted windows)
Top Knobs hardware
Hans Grohe Faucet (came with the display)
M. Teixeira Soapstone counters and sink, Barroca Maluca (this stone came with a free sink)
Insinkerator GD (Home Depot)
Ancona vent and backsplash (Costco)
Hudson Valley Petersburg Schoolhouse lighting
Tile Shop Travertine Machu Pichu

I can also give rough costs.
appliances : $6,500 (AJ Madison)
cabinets: $12,000 (includes additional cabinets that will be used elsewhere)
backsplash $350
countertop and sink $3,600

My total expenses, excluding GC were about $24,000.

GC costs included demolition, electrical, plumbing flooring, backsplash installation, windows, trim. etc.
GC costs are in line with NY metro costs

I live in a neighborhood where the local kitchen tour includes mostly inset, white shaker custom cabinets with carerra marble. I hope my stained cabinets will still appeal to the local home buyers.

The process has been very long, with the family eating microwave food in the den, and me washing dishes in a tiny bathroom vanity.

I am pleased with the quality of the Medallion / Schuler cabinets, M. Teixeira soapstone installation, AJ Madison pricing, etc.

I'm really excited to have a kitchen again and have been enjoying using the GE cafe range, especially the griddle.

I spent a lot of time making some decisions, but after making the decision, I didn't look back. It's really hard when there are so many excellent choices.

I considered Verona and Bertazzoni ranges, but chose the GE Cafe for the extra room and the service that should be available.
I picked the Samsung refrigerator based on Consumer Reports reviews.
I initially wanted to get tiffany style lighting, but decided that school house lighting might appeal to more potential buyers. I bought three identical semi-flush lights, becuse I was concerned about having pendant lighting with 8 ft ceilings.

I stained the trim work. We paid a little extra to get the trim to match the trim in the rest of the house. I think it provides a more continuous look.

I picked a very light paint color, since the cabinets, countertop and flooring are dark.

I prefer warm colors to cold colors.

I just oiled the counters before taking the photos.
The backsplash just went up today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quartersawn Oak Shaker w/ Soapstone reveal

Here is another view.

o

view of the refrigerator.

o

soapstone has greenish swirls and lines.
It comes from the same quarry as Barroca, but has more green.

o

Marymac, what a lovely kitchen! I love the oak especially quarter sawn and the soapstone is beautiful. You must be so pleased with the outcome!

o

Its so pretty, you made great choices! The soapstone looks great and the backsplash ties everything together nicely.

I got the same Refrigerator from AJ Madison at a great price...very happy with mine so far.

Great job, enjoy eating real meals!

o

Very pretty kitchen. Love the oak cabinets and the soapstone countertops. They are beautiful together. The backspash ties everything together. I too love the warmth of the natural wood kitchens.

o

Beautiful kitchen! Everything you chose compliments each other well. Can you email me your contractor as I am in Northern NJ also. He did a great job! I also love your appliances.

o

Lovely and classic! The soapstone sink is fabulous, and I really like the way the backsplash draws the eye without ruining the cohesive, calm vibe.

o

Very nice choices, I LOVE the way it all flows! Good work!

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here