Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgarden111

How to redecorate this kitchen?

scgarden111
11 years ago

I just got these hardwood floors and I know the paint color is too dark -what color to repaint? I'm considering putting up beadboard in the dining area, should I continue the beadboard around the bar or is that too much beadboard? If I eventually get stainless appliances, can I keep the bronze fixtures, or would I need to get nickel fixtures? Want to replace the flouresent light box because I hate the light it gives off, what is an alternative fixture to replace the box? Not much attic access overhead so can't do can lights. Can I put full-length drapes in here or is that too formal for eat-in kitchen? I have no dining room. Any other recommendations are appreciated
{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to take down the border. Also eventually want to replace the countertops - what color? Granite is not in my budget. Would like affordable backsplash recommendations too!

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

Many people have ORB hardware and stainless steel appliance and they look fine together. The color of the wall would have to depend on your countertop and backsplash. You can certainly just paint it a neutral gray or beige that will match with whatever color countertop. Curtains don't have to look formal or have lots of pleats. You can get something with a whimsical pattern and maybe introduce a pop of color against the neutral wall. What about fabric roman shades?

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful floor! If you like green how would it be to put the lighter green on the bottom and then use an even lighter green on the top area?

I don't see the need to change the pulls/handles unless you want to. I know there have been many on here who have put in bronze handles (even faucet) and still had SS appliances.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I don't find your floors to be too dark with your cabinets at all. As a matter of fact, if you do a photo search, you'll find many, many white/cream cabinets with beautiful floors.

BTW.
    If you insert photos, after each photo add in a bracket after each one, and it will create a carriage return and put your second photo on the next line.

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I mean that I think my wall color is too dark combined with the dark floors. It's the walls I want to paint, not cabinets :)

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I like desertsteph's idea. If you want lighter walls try painting the bottom area the top green color and then a lighter shade on top. I'm partial to green, however, and I like your green tones.
    Your floors are beautiful.
    Don't give up on the granite thinking it is too expensive. Some are very reasonably priced and you could go with a simple and inexpensive subway tile as your backsplash.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

start with the couple things that are more costly and decision time consumers...but the space needs-then see what time/money/energy you have left.....the decorative things can be done over time. Counter AND backsplash[if you're going to counter anyway] is right up there....a lighting decision-the type for kitchen would be "close to ceiling"fixture...and you'd probably want it to complement the dinette fixture-then sometimes you end up replacing both to get it right...that takes searching thru lighting catalogues-takes time.If budget is a serious issue look at the formica/wilsonart products-they have tons of good looking colors/patterns/edges....be thinking about backsplash-I think your kitchen really would benefit from that layer of contrast....subtle or strong. Paint/drapes/valance/wallpaper issues can follow after the bigger "players".The floor is wonderful-I'd be looking at counter and backsplash right away-paint and walls for later.

• springroz
    11 years ago

It's a pretty room! I would use a slightly darker countertop, and white backsplash, subways would be OK, but a pattern would be pretty. I say this because your chair rail lines up with the counter backsplash.

Are you staying with the country style, like your hutch? I would do roman shades, hung up near the ceiling, since you have those two nice windows.

Nancy

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

No, the paint isn't too dark. The cabinet area is now too white on white in contrast and needs some dark color to balance the room. It needs a darker counter, some dark hardware, and then have some recessed lights put in so the space overall has better lighting. Under cabinet lighting as well.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I like the green paint and wouldn't add even more white to the room with beadboard. If you love beadboard, you could use it as a backsplash with a darker countertop. There's even beadboard tile.

I see you don't use the peninsula overhang. Neither did we. Our overhang was literally in our small dining room, so barstools made no sense. I'm sure you'd welcome more storage, so consider adding cabinets to the back of the peninsula when you replace the countertops. We removed a pony wall and raised bar and replaced it with a 12 inch deep cabinet behind our sink cabinet and dishwasher.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I would get butcherblock countertops, maybe beadboard backsplash, and a track light from IKEA. See below for a budget makeover.

Here is a link that might be useful: makeover

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I'm not staying with the country theme, I will sell the hutch. Suggestions about a replacement piece of furniture -size and color? I love all of the ideas so far! Will probably go with the subway tile idea. I'm glad someone said the white beadboard in the eating area would add too much more white- that's probably correct when I think about it.

• decordummy_gw
    11 years ago

I love your floors! Now I know most people here would disagree, but I also like the way your current appliances blend with your cabinets (SS always screams "look at me"). I would pick a counter close in colour to the stove-top, then pick a backsplash, and then pick paint.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA