Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenhp_gw

Mother Of Pearl Backsplash?

jenhp
12 years ago

Someone on here had mother of pearl tile for their backsplash and now I can't remember who! Does anyone have pics of MOP backsplash?

Thanks!

Comments (28)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

was it the Christopher Peacock kitchen, inset in subways? Anne Sacks Glace Tile in Ice; i used them in a BR

color looks pink online; perfect IRL

hth

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Did you mean scottilee's kitchen?

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Were you thinking of Adrienne2011's kitchen?

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Adrienne's mother of pearl inserts

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ooooh, Aaaah, love those backsplashes! But you know what, it wasn't any of those, but I'm so glad I got to see them! I found the one I was thinking of, it was pipdog. Does anyone know exactly what tile this is?????

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Glad you found it: that is a beautiful kitchen.

I believe that pip told us it was onyx tile, not mother of pearl tile.

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the heads up francoise. I don't know what made me think it was MOP. Whatever it was, that picture is what made me think about using MOP in the backsplash! Now I need to find a brick style MOP tile to sample.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

you might try searching under honey onyx mosaic tile?

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure pipdog's backsplash is the MOP mosaic because when I was trying to decide if I should use it in my backsplash she posted a picture of her kitchen.

I used the MOP mosaic but mine has stainless steel tiles in it so it is a little different. I'm sure there are many variations?

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Pip described her tile as "White onyx staggered tile"
    in her reveal description.

She says her counters are Madre Perla quartzite.

Mother of Pearl comes from the inside of mollusk shells.
    Onyx is a rock.
    They look similar in many backsplashes.
    Both are beautiful.

See link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pip's big reveal

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that's why I got confused chitown. It was your post where I saw pip's BS.

I looked up her reveal post and found the info. The BS is in fact onyx. After seeing additional photos, I don't think I want onyx. Too dark for what I'm looking for. I was considering doing a band of MOP like what you show chitown, but just MOP, no metal or glass mixed in. I really need some sample tile to see it in person. It's not a rush since my kitchen reno is not even in progress yet and won't be until next year, maybe spring.

You guys are so great, helping me track down pictures. If anyone else has pics of MOP BS or knows a good source for tile that I can also get samples from, please let me know.

• HomeNoobie
    12 years ago

does anyone know how much the backsplash tile (Bisazza Damasco Bianco Glass Tiles) in scottilee's kitchen costs? I'm in love with it... (sorry to hijack!)

• sue_b
    12 years ago

Bathrooms Forum has some examples I recall. Use its search box at bottom of the page for troca shell for a beautiful example. It's from katekouros and she had a lot of delays and customs fees to pay since she ordered it from the Philippines. Beautiful!

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Something like this - http://www.builderelements.com/tile/mosaic-tile/mother-of-pearl-tile/3386.html

I have ordered tile from them before.

there is also the groutless slab look which I prefer. This will have to be imported (and all the headaches of doing that). Somehow MOP is not as popular in the US so you have to import.
    http://www.chinesemosaic.com/sdp/186638/4/cp-4338158/0/Genuine_Shell_MOP_Slab.html

Here is a link that might be useful: MOP

• sue_b
    12 years ago

Bathrooms Forum has some examples I recall. Use its search box at bottom of the page for troca shell for a beautiful example. It's from katekouros and she had a lot of delays and customs fees to pay since she ordered it from the Philippines. Beautiful!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i imported tile from the philippines for my master bath so i'm here with a word of caution: it was NOT as simple as you may think. my tile -while not MOP, is troca shell and was $29 sq ft. excellent pricing since A: you can't really find this in the US and if you do, B: it's not priced by the sq ft, but by trim piece. priced by the sq ft, it could easily run several hundred dollars.

okay, so we know the pricing was good. and the product -when it finally arrived, is gorgeous. BUT shipping was not cheap nor was the customs fees i had to pay in addition to a DAILY rate for each day the packages sat in customs waiting for approval for release (over $2000). add onto that the fee and necessary paperwork for me to obtain a LICENSE to import from US fish and wildlife and you've got yourself one. giant. headache.

beautiful, yes. would i do it again? never!
    sorry i only have pics of the shower stall. our vanity backsplash is in and looks brilliant. maybe i'll get a shot of it this week.

{{gwi:1401750}}
    {{gwi:1401752}}

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous! I remember all the trouble you went through.

sounds like a good business opportunity for someone in the US to import and resell here :)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

WOW. That is so beautiful. I am so tempted to use it but at the same time scared off by your horror stories about it.

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

here is another source. Looks nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay source

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pharaoh, the looks great! Thanks for the link! Love it!

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I also like this tile Mother Of Pearl Running Board 2 x 2 Flat Accents OJ03. I wonder if this tile is really pinkish IRL. I also wonder why in the name it says "2 x 2 Flat Accents". 2x2 would make it square, not rectangular. Or are they referring to something else with that?

{{!gwi}}

I don't know why my picture isn't working. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: daltile MOP tile

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

those both look great. mine are sealed to be used in wet areas, so whatever you order, check and make sure they'll be ok if using around a sink or (especially) a shower!

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

coming late to the party, but yes, francoise47 is right - my backsplash is white onyx. The counters are Madre Perla (sometimes called Mother of Pearl) quartzite.

kateskouros, that tile in your shower is incredible!

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That brings up an interesting question. Can it be sealed like one would see stone tile? Is there some reason this would need to come already sealed?

• jenhp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant, "Can it be sealed like one would seal stone tile? "

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

sorry, i just saw this. my troca shell tile is definitely NOT sealed the same way as marble or stone. it's got more of a resin type shellac over each tile. it was manufactured specifically for wet areas.

kind of silly that it needs to be sealed, when you consider the source. but it is what it is.

• twingle
    11 years ago

Chitown- if you still r around,would you mind a few questions?? What are your counters, backsplash and mosiac?? Source where you bought?? Thx it looks beautiful. Any photos of full kitchen?

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I love Chitown's backsplash too. Looking forward to learning more about it.

• sarahsunshinerph
    10 years ago

chitown_remodel, can I ask both where you got your tile and what it's called? Thank you!