Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frannypants_gw

Help with budgeting cabs in Chicago

frannypants
9 years ago

Hi - I'm brand new to this site, and am here posting out of desperation. I need advice from Chicago locals on where to go to hire a KD who will have brands that can meet my meager budget. I simply do not have time to visit several shops and sit for an hour each while they figure an estimate. My budget is $15k for about 17' of lower cabinets and 8' of upper cabinets stacked from counter height (or, a roughly 13x10 kitchen). I want pale gray painted shaker.

We recently bought a two-flat here in Chicago. We were going to wait until the tenants' lease was up in April to begin a gut rehab of the first floor kitchen (to be ours), but unexpectedly, they will be moving out in a month and I find myself suddenly needing to plan a kitchen (a novel experience for me) in my spare time from full-time work and two small children. My inclination is to just get it done through HD or Lowes (I'm looking at Kraftmaid and Schuler), but if anyone out there knows of a shop (preferably northshore) that could accommodate my budget, I'd be very grateful for the intel. Final note: my dad is a contractor and will be performing installation.

Comments (4)

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

Frannypants-- I went with a KD who works online, which works better for me as we're in a small town and it let me do all the back and forth on planning via email. I got all wood US made cabinets and although I already had a good idea of what I wanted, it was very helpful to have the design service. It was also very affordable. I can send you the info if you want to change your settings to receive emails from members.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Frannypants - Builders Cabinet Supply, a local Chicago company (I am linking below, but their website isn't that great, and does not represent all they offer). Their salespeople are KDs, and quite good. Their KD service comes with your purchase of their cabinets. However, don't expect to get a kitchen design without giving them some sort of downpayment; that's to prevent people from unfairly asking for a free kitchen design and then not end up buying the cabinets.

The company is less expensive because it is local, and you are not paying a huge company with a lot of middlemen and marketing costs and transportation costs. Having said that, your budget is low for what you are asking for, in a somewhat custom color. I am not sure if Builders Cabinet Supply can do all that you want for $15k. Your requirements for a 13 x 10 kitchen in that budget seem unrealistic, and you will likely have to change your wish list or increase your budget. One way to fit your 13 x 10 kitchen into your budget is to go with Ikea cabinets. There are some beautiful kitchens on this Forum done with Ikea. The Ikea website offers free kitchen design software. Also, if you post your floor plan, people here can help with design; most people here are amazing at layout!

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Cabinet Supply

• JAAune
    9 years ago

My company could do it but advertising isn't good form on this board so I'll mention a couple others that I'd be willing to recommend.

SprovieriâÂÂs has a good reputation for counter tops. I've gotten a recommendation for that company from the Chicago area Corian distributor and also from a building consultant that renovates churches. I don't think they do cabinets, just counters but they must have reliable contacts in the Chicago cabinet industry. If they want to protect their reputation, they won't give a referral to a shady company.

Patrick Murrin in Geneva, Illinois is good. I've not seen his work in person but someone I know and trust assures me he knows what he's doing. Be advised that he's unlikely to do budget work.

Not sure how those two do their pricing but 25 lineal feet of cabinetry on a $15,000 budget is enough to allow some flexibility on selecting features.

• aries61
    9 years ago

Check out Studio 41which has several locations around Chicago.and check out Lakeland Building Supply in Gurnee. Both places I know you can send them your kitchen dimensions and they'll send you back a quote.

Good luck! There probable others too.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths