Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally the Plans for Soapstone Sink Taking Shape!

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 18:21

I have finally gotten to the point where I need to get this sink built! Some of you may know that I have been planning this build for months for my bathroom/mudroom, next to my kitchen. I have these remnants that I got for a song. It will be a farm type sink with a tall backsplash.

So I'm drawing patterns and devising plans to cut some soapstone soon (tomorrow?)

Here is my sink front:
sink front

It looks like a dream with my llistello and paint sample. My computer makes the elements have a lavender cast, it could be the time of day. The colors are blue, gray, tans, and ever so slight bluegreen. The picture doesn't do it justice. In real life it's like a hazy dream, perfect for a bathroom don't you think?
sink front and marble listello, paint, field tile

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out!!! Thanks for looking and keep me in your prayers:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally the Plans for Soapstone Sink Taking Shape!

VERY NICE !Bathroom/mudroom combination is so handy to keep dirt out of the house-especially in the countryside. Looking forward to seeing the sink. What are you using as an adhesive ?

o

Epoxy, like I used for my kitchen counter seams in 2011.

o

Ooh, enduring, that soapstone DOES look lovely. I wish you the absolute best of luck on the sink. I am sure you have it figured out well enough and will be able to pull it off! Godspeed!

o

That is so beautiful! Good luck with the sink-I'm sure it will be as lovely as everything else you have done.

o

Thanks Angie for the blessing! I am researching epoxy right now. For my counters I used something from Lowes. But for the sink I was thinking of using a product that would be high end. What epoxy did you use? I have been looking at a brand from Tenax called Domo 10 or Revio 50. They both have longer open times. Domo is white and Revio is straw colored. There is a clear called Strong Edge, but that sets in 20 min. Too fast for me. Domo an Revio are for indoor or outdoor.

Leela4 Thanks for the well wishes and complement. I can imagine that over the years I will be sitting on the toilet and gazing lovingly at the front of my sink :)

o

I used two different kinds. For one seam, I used a product that M. Teixeira sold me. It does not have a label on it -- M. Teix. slaps their own sticker on it. It is black, and is "knife grade." I found out that that means it is gelid even before you mix it with hardener. It has the consistency of jam. In theory, then, you can butter it onto the edges of the stone. However, it set up very fast. It was supposed to have a 10 minute working time. However, it really started to harden after 2-3 minutes. (I precisely mixed the ratios of hardener to epoxy using a digital scale, so messed-up proportions was not the problem.)

On the second seam, I used good ol' J.B. Weld (available in any hardware store). This is gray, and has a working time of about 4-6 hours.

I thought I would leave my counters unoiled, so the gray seam would not stick out so much. However, that seam is near my stove, so it is "naturally oiled" from cooking grease, etc.

Good luck!

o

Thanks Angie, I need at least an hour working time, I just know it.

EATREALFOOD , I realize I forgot to thank you for your comment - I instead just impulsively replied "epoxy". Thanks you for your thoughtful post and I will be sure to keep GW updated with the progress.

o

Enduring, if anyone can do this, you can! You are an inspiration! If it works, I may have a new project!

Sending good vibes for success your way...

o

Thanks Mabeldingeldine, I am sloooooow. And it is soooo dark after work. This is something I will need to do outside if at all possible. And Friday its going to start a cool down in Iowa. But it will still be above freezing so probably can still work outside. It has been unseasonably warm. We do have the farm shop that I can relocate to if I need to.

o

Update on my sink. I love posting pictures:)

Here are my cut pieces of 2x6 lumber to mockup my sink corner. It includes the bottom, front, and one side:
2x6 ready for sink mockup photo IMG_2893.jpg

Here it is assembled:
one corner of locking dado & rabbet joint sink mockup photo IMG_2894.jpg

It has a locking dado & rabbet joint. The lumber is thicker than the soapstone so there is a wider outer dimension than will be with the slabs of stone. The lumber is 1.5" wide and the stone is 1.25" wide. I am making 5/8" dados and rabbets.

This Friday I plan to do a small mockup with my small stone samples that I have. And I need to fine tune my dimensions on my sink cutting patterns:
concept patterns, need corrections. photo sinkpatterns.jpg

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 0:41

o

Got all the parts cut out. Working and getting home after nightfall is a drag. I can't get up the ambition to get to the shop to work on this project tonight. I am a morning person!

Here is were I stand, with the cutting of the stone. I used the very good 5/8" bit the guy at the Woodsmith Store sold me. It cut and cut, even with the strain of harder stone inclusions. I took 3 passes on each rabbet or dado cut.

pattern to cut the backsplash:
 photo IMG_2922.jpg

more patterns:
 photo IMG_2925.jpg

cut pieces with rabbets and dados:
 photo IMG_2950.jpg
 photo IMG_2953.jpg

Backsplash, unoiled:
 photo IMG_2959.jpg

wd40 used to oil stone, to get "an impression". Isn't that icy blue dreamy?
 photo IMG_2969.jpg

Gigi thanks you for taking this photo tour (she's a good girl:)
 photo IMG_2928.jpg

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 0:48

o

DROOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLING

o

Mabeldingeldine, I'll be freaked if I get this together and it doesn't hold water! I don't have a plan B. I'll know hopefully by this week end:)

This post was edited by enduring on Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 22:00

o

Wow, I really like the looks of the joinery on the mockup..... Cannot wait to see how it turns out.

o

Beautiful stone. Do you know what variety of soapstone it is? Can't wait to see more of your progress. I might have to put a DIY soapstone sink on our list of things to do.

o

enduring, the stone is beautiful, and worthy of your kitchen! If it doesn't hold water, I'll take it, and you can do another one. Or, you can use epoxy for any improbable leaks. (The little mama_goose dressed in red, sitting on my left shoulder, was whispering, "Don't mention the epoxy--you'll never get the sink.")

o

Enduring you are AMAZING! This is going to be a gorgeous sink! I watch this thread with great anticipation. Thank you for including us in the step by step process!

o

Mamagoose: don't get your hopes up -- ain't no way that sink is going to leak, nary a drop!

o

Last weekend when I looked at the backsplash on the shop floor I used my imagination and saw the whole thing put together and in my bathroom (off of the kitchen ☺). I just couldn't believe that it would come together. I know its not there yet but inching closer. I looked at DH and said something like "I will be astounded if I can get this installed". I just can't imagine something like this turning out. I don't know why I was having those feelings of disbelief. I will feel so honored by the soapstone gods if I can pull this off.

Angie, thanks so much. I took inspiration from you and Mama-goose that I could use a router on my soapstone. The joinery is a copy of the Bucks County Soapstone sink video that I stopped and started a million times to understand how to put this together. Once I got going it was very straightforward.

Onedogiedie, I don't know the variety. It was a batch of remnants from a small stone yard. One long piece that is about 12 " deep is probably from another slab as it is so plain compared to the other trim pieces. I will use this plain piece to construct a counter top for my cabinet that will hold the wall mounted tub filler faucet.

Mama-goose, as noted above I couldn't have done this if I didn't see those pics of yours and Angie cutting runnels ☺. Your little red dressed devil is too late, I already special ordered epoxy just for this job. The brand is called AKEPOX 2010. It is a 2:1 type and is knife grade. It has good strength and is used in the stone fabrication industry. When I put my counters in last year I used something I got at Lowes. It has worked fine. But I'm not taking chances with this project so I spent about $30-40, included shipping, to get this stuff.

Tea4all, thanks so much for the support. I will keep this updated. I am thinking I will be able to work on it Thursday &/or Friday and over the weekend.

o

UPDATE:
I still need to refresh the finish because I have some deep marks as I was taking off the epoxy. The sink stand is getting made. I will reset the drain too because it is slightly not centered in the hole.

Glued and setting up:
 photo IMG_3091_zps45b1f092.jpg

Joint:
 photo IMG_3094_zps42afdad5.jpg

Front:
 photo IMG_3112_zps2f587a8b.jpg

Side that will show:
 photo IMG_3116_zpscdd8cbda.jpg

Drain set into place. It held water for 24 hours:
 photo IMG_3132_zps75c03e51.jpg

Front with olive oil:
 photo IMG_3120_zps4c72378f.jpg

photo IMG_3136_zps042a04c0.jpg

Locking box joint:
 photo IMG_3130_zps77c6ca95.jpg

Closeup of drain:
 photo IMG_3162_zpsa0d87794.jpg

The sink will be offset to the left of this oiled backsplash and a stack of 2 drawers will be to the right of the sink of about the same dimensions. A wall mounted faucet will be on the left side of this backsplash, in the plainer area of stone:
 photo IMG_2963.jpg

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 1:01

o

You are a genuine ROCK STAR!!!!

It is spectacular!!

o

Loooooooove it!

o

I agree-it's beautiful!! You rock!!

o

Really cool! how much does that thing weight?

o

Can I become your apprentice? Seriously jealous of your abilities!!!

o

That turned out great! Of course it did :-)

o

Oh enduring I cannot believe you built that !!! What a sense of satisfaction you must have. Now make sure you direct all guests to enter through the mudroom not the front door so they can give you the accolades that you deserve.

o

Ohhh, yay yay yay! Enduring, it looks like you hit it out of the park! It is beauteous! Very impressive joinery.

I am so happy for you. It looks great. You done good!

o

Gorgeous! So impressed. You must be beaming :-)

o

Thank you all for your great comments! I am very happy with the progress. Of course I see the imperfections but when my carpenter came by to measure for the stand, he checked it for square (I hadn't got around to it), and he said it was exactly square. That will make his job easier :)

Some answers:
1) I think it probably weighs about 150lbs.
2) The joints are pretty good; one needed some help with soapstone dust and epoxy while glueing up, and the one that is perfect, of course, will be hidden under the counter.
3) At my house, upon entering, all will be directed to the sink to wash there hands!

o

I think I speak for everyone here who has been waiting so patiently to see your sink. You and the sink are amazing.

I have been deciding between a SS apron sink or a soapstone. Of course after seeing your lovely sink I'll be bookmarking it for later use.

o

This is truly inspirational--beautiful!

o

That is amazing! You should be very proud of yourself.

o

AWE!!!!!!!!! Much awe at your crazy, mad skills! Looks gorgeous so far. :)

o

Thanks you guys for your appreciation of soapstone! Your words are very kind. I am so ready for this project to be completed!

o

I already loved you for your herringbone backsplash. This sink is beyond cool. I would also like to be your apprentice and learn half of what you can do.

o

Linelle, Thanks! I'm still loving my backsplash.The vanity is being made for the sink. I have the tile to finish up STILL, before the sink can be installed. And I have to fine tune the finish on the inside of the sink, but just haven't got down to "The Shop" for that procedure. It is my DH's farm shop where he repairs equipment, etc, for the farm operation, and stores my project crap. It is a never ending process for me, but I'm getting there.

I glued up one of the counters over the weekend, using the last of my large remnant. No pictures. I have to get the clamps removed. I am sure it is dry:) I don't know if I mentioned but I went to the stone yard where I got these pieces last spring to look around their scrapes. They expressed interest in having me give them a photo when I'm done, for their web site. We'll see. I am not going to make a business out of this!!! The men at the desk were kind to humor me when I told them my whole construction process.

o

Enduring WOW What a great project! I'm trying to talk my DH into doing our soapstone counters to save some $. It is well within our skill set- he's just never done it so he's skeptical.I have to show him your sink.
I fell in love with the sinks at bucks county soapstone last week, but not in our budget. You have given me hope!
You go girl!!

o

NEW UPDATE

Got the sink stand today. The carpenter did an outstanding job with this. It is absolutely wonderful. Here he is, having just arrived and set it down. This is the back:)

photo IMG_3411_zps7ffb3f91.jpg

Front of sink stand. The color is BM thundercloud gray 2124-40, it is the next shade darker than the walls which are BM Bunny Gray:  photo sinkbasse201013_zps00f9f33b.jpg

Ta Da:
 photo sinkandbase2-1-13_zpscc25aa10.jpg

The legs were purchased from Osborne online. I selected a variety of options that he thought he could work with. Note the bottom of the legs with the square areas for the shelving. We settled on a 35.5" island leg because it offered a long upper plain area that could be cut down to meet the other needs in constructing the 25" high base for the sink. My sink is 10" high and 18" square. Don't you just love the bead around the apron? And, I don't know if I could have picked a better paint color to go with my sink.

Wouldn't this look great in an unfitted kitchen?

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 1:14

o

Oh, enduring!! Yowzw wowza! It is the ne plus ultra. That is really, really fine work (both yours and the cabinetmaker's). I adore it!

o

Thank you so much Angie!! Here is an absolutly sweet picture from this morning:
 photo IMG_3436_zps51aeb496.jpg

And just think what it will look like with a faucet and backsplash; oh and some knobs :)

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 0:38

o

Enduring that bathroom is wonderful. Congratulations on your beautiful sink. Great job!

o

Didn't see this thread before but wow, that is amazing. What a wonderful job you did! How unique and lovely. Love the floor and it all looks great together.

o

That bathroom is wonderful. And your sink--Oh my my my it is awsome!! It has been said before but well worth repeating-- Enduring you are amazing! Truly amazing.

o

Thanks Leela for your kind words. It is so exciting to share these later stages where things are coming together.

Deedles, yes this is a running thread that I created to follow the process, for prosperity I guess. Thank you for your complements. I just gush over the vanity and sink even if it isn't completely done yet. Kind of like a new mom ☺

Tea, thanks so much for your enthusiasm for my bathroom and especially this sink. It was a real labor of love getting this thing to fruition.

To all, I couldn't have done it if it weren't for all of you guys, sharing ideas, support of the downers, and celebration of the triumphs. I know that might sound corny, but hey, I'm from Iowa.

o

Sorry about the very first two pictures that are missing at the top of this tread. I updated something on Photobucket and it took out all the links. I relinked the others because the edit option is available for the later post.

The backsplash and faucets are set. There are two pencil trim pieces that need to go in, next to the backsplash sides. Other wise, I think the sink is done!

Finished sink and vanity photo IMG_3823_zpsf9e96346.jpg

Finished sink and vanity w/towel bar photo IMG_3819_zps3d23cdd7.jpg

o

This is so beautiful.

o
She's a rock star!!

Swooning. Want to come to Maine for vacation? ;-)

o

enduring, that is breathtaking. Your talent and perseverance are inspiring. Do you hug it every time you go in the room? ;)

o

Steph, thanks so much, what better complement than to say "beautiful" :)

Mabeldingeldine, I would love to come to Maine ;) I want to give you a swoon back to your very very cute/sweet bath, with the yellow vanity, love it.

Mama_goose, your kind words are a real treasure. Yes, LOL, I do (almost) hug this vanity every time I go in the room. I sit across from it and gaze, and being the good little girl that I am, resist jumping up and down.

I need to send these finished pictures to Brett, the woodworker that made the vanity for me. He told me it was a favorite project.

o

Your vanity (along with everything else in the bathroom) is absolutely beautiful. I hope my small future bathroom is half as wonderful as yours. I'm not going to lie. Some of your lovely bathroom ideas may be lifted and found in a future Iowa bathroom.

o

That is a truly lovely...

o

Thanks Aliceinjersey and IowaCommute, it is such a pleasure to share these pictures with everyone. Happy to hear your appreciative words. I am not modest with this project :)

You now IowaC, I live in central Iowa :)

o

Absolutely gorgeous! What an amazing job!

o

Congratulations on a wonderful job! It is a beautiful, unique and calming bathroom.

And there is no way you should be modest about this project-all of you DIY soapstone (and other) people are awesome.

o

Enduring~I think I remember you saying you were from Iowa in another thread I commented on. We'll be about 30 minutes NE of Waterloo when we get up there. My in-laws have a farm we will be build on.

We will probably also have to do a custom vanity (I want to do soapstone sinks and counters) and the vanity itself will only be 19" wide for our bathroom.

o

That is so impressive.

o

Thanks Wags, Leela, & Crl I am so pleased with this project. I owe a lot thanks to the great folks here on GW as I tackled this odd project. Especially Angie_DYI who, as everyone knows, is so supportive. She even gave me a "Courage" badge on an earlier post when this project was in its infancy. I call this an odd project, because when I told others in my day to day life that I was making a sink, they'd look me strangely.

edited to add comment to IowaCommute:

IowaCommute, I hope that you love Iowa! You will be closer to the NE corner of the state, lucky you. It is so pretty up there. That location didn't get hit with the last glaciation 13 thousand years, or so, ago - so the landscape is more developed with more hills. I think that area is one of the most southern remnant Boreal type woodland landscapes. I'll post a link from an article by the University of Iowa.

When this bathroom gets finished I will be posting the "reveal" on the Bathroom Forum; though the room is small so not much else to show :) But, when I do post the reveal I will be featuring the whole project, not just the sink, as I've done here on the Kitchen (sink lovers) Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa and its Flora

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:56

o

Enduring, when you are ready to come to Maine, you let me know! I love visitors and I'll have a nice new bathroom for them :-)

o

Thanks for the kind words. I am humbled and moved.

As you know, I oohed and aahed over your GORGEOUS sink and cabinet on the "New to Kitchens" thread. It is really swoonworthy!

o

I am absolutely in awe of you. This is so charming and beautiful! What a great job.

o

Angie, yes saw your post on "New to Kitchens". Glad you posted here too! Now as I am getting ready to tackle another bathroom project I'll need to dig up that badge. Now where did I lay that badge...?

GWlolo, thanks so much. The stone was a blast to work with. The sticking point with the project was all in the head, that is why I got the "Courage" badge from Angie a while back.

!Found the badge, at the end of this soapstone post from last year! See link. Mabledingeldine used it too, for grouting, from the sounds of her post :)

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Soapstone People Show Your Counters !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here