Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Finally the Plans for Soapstone Sink Taking Shape!

enduring
11 years ago

I have finally gotten to the point where I need to get this sink built! Some of you may know that I have been planning this build for months for my bathroom/mudroom, next to my kitchen. I have these remnants that I got for a song. It will be a farm type sink with a tall backsplash.

So I'm drawing patterns and devising plans to cut some soapstone soon (tomorrow?)

Here is my sink front:

{{!gwi}}

It looks like a dream with my llistello and paint sample. My computer makes the elements have a lavender cast, it could be the time of day. The colors are blue, gray, tans, and ever so slight bluegreen. The picture doesn't do it justice. In real life it's like a hazy dream, perfect for a bathroom don't you think?

{{gwi:1387189}}

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out!!! Thanks for looking and keep me in your prayers:)

Comments (73)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Really cool! how much does that thing weight?

• alex9179
    11 years ago

Can I become your apprentice? Seriously jealous of your abilities!!!

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

That turned out great! Of course it did :-)

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Oh enduring I cannot believe you built that !!! What a sense of satisfaction you must have. Now make sure you direct all guests to enter through the mudroom not the front door so they can give you the accolades that you deserve.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Ohhh, yay yay yay! Enduring, it looks like you hit it out of the park! It is beauteous! Very impressive joinery.

I am so happy for you. It looks great. You done good!

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! So impressed. You must be beaming :-)

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your great comments! I am very happy with the progress. Of course I see the imperfections but when my carpenter came by to measure for the stand, he checked it for square (I hadn't got around to it), and he said it was exactly square. That will make his job easier :)

Some answers:
    1) I think it probably weighs about 150lbs.
    2) The joints are pretty good; one needed some help with soapstone dust and epoxy while glueing up, and the one that is perfect, of course, will be hidden under the counter.
    3) At my house, upon entering, all will be directed to the sink to wash there hands!

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

I think I speak for everyone here who has been waiting so patiently to see your sink. You and the sink are amazing.

I have been deciding between a SS apron sink or a soapstone. Of course after seeing your lovely sink I'll be bookmarking it for later use.

• mermanmike
    11 years ago

This is truly inspirational--beautiful!

• bcafe
    11 years ago

That is amazing! You should be very proud of yourself.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

AWE!!!!!!!!! Much awe at your crazy, mad skills! Looks gorgeous so far. :)

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks you guys for your appreciation of soapstone! Your words are very kind. I am so ready for this project to be completed!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I already loved you for your herringbone backsplash. This sink is beyond cool. I would also like to be your apprentice and learn half of what you can do.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linelle, Thanks! I'm still loving my backsplash.The vanity is being made for the sink. I have the tile to finish up STILL, before the sink can be installed. And I have to fine tune the finish on the inside of the sink, but just haven't got down to "The Shop" for that procedure. It is my DH's farm shop where he repairs equipment, etc, for the farm operation, and stores my project crap. It is a never ending process for me, but I'm getting there.

I glued up one of the counters over the weekend, using the last of my large remnant. No pictures. I have to get the clamps removed. I am sure it is dry:) I don't know if I mentioned but I went to the stone yard where I got these pieces last spring to look around their scrapes. They expressed interest in having me give them a photo when I'm done, for their web site. We'll see. I am not going to make a business out of this!!! The men at the desk were kind to humor me when I told them my whole construction process.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Enduring WOW What a great project! I'm trying to talk my DH into doing our soapstone counters to save some $. It is well within our skill set- he's just never done it so he's skeptical.I have to show him your sink.
    I fell in love with the sinks at bucks county soapstone last week, but not in our budget. You have given me hope!
    You go girl!!

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

NEW UPDATE

Got the sink stand today. The carpenter did an outstanding job with this. It is absolutely wonderful. Here he is, having just arrived and set it down. This is the back:)

Front of sink stand. The color is BM thundercloud gray 2124-40, it is the next shade darker than the walls which are BM Bunny Gray:

Ta Da:

The legs were purchased from Osborne online. I selected a variety of options that he thought he could work with. Note the bottom of the legs with the square areas for the shelving. We settled on a 35.5" island leg because it offered a long upper plain area that could be cut down to meet the other needs in constructing the 25" high base for the sink. My sink is 10" high and 18" square. Don't you just love the bead around the apron? And, I don't know if I could have picked a better paint color to go with my sink.

Wouldn't this look great in an unfitted kitchen?

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 1:14

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, enduring!! Yowzw wowza! It is the ne plus ultra. That is really, really fine work (both yours and the cabinetmaker's). I adore it!

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Angie!! Here is an absolutly sweet picture from this morning:

And just think what it will look like with a faucet and backsplash; oh and some knobs :)

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 0:38

• leela4
    11 years ago

Enduring that bathroom is wonderful. Congratulations on your beautiful sink. Great job!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Didn't see this thread before but wow, that is amazing. What a wonderful job you did! How unique and lovely. Love the floor and it all looks great together.

• tea4all
    11 years ago

That bathroom is wonderful. And your sink--Oh my my my it is awsome!! It has been said before but well worth repeating-- Enduring you are amazing! Truly amazing.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Leela for your kind words. It is so exciting to share these later stages where things are coming together.

Deedles, yes this is a running thread that I created to follow the process, for prosperity I guess. Thank you for your complements. I just gush over the vanity and sink even if it isn't completely done yet. Kind of like a new mom âº

Tea, thanks so much for your enthusiasm for my bathroom and especially this sink. It was a real labor of love getting this thing to fruition.

To all, I couldn't have done it if it weren't for all of you guys, sharing ideas, support of the downers, and celebration of the triumphs. I know that might sound corny, but hey, I'm from Iowa.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the very first two pictures that are missing at the top of this tread. I updated something on Photobucket and it took out all the links. I relinked the others because the edit option is available for the later post.

The backsplash and faucets are set. There are two pencil trim pieces that need to go in, next to the backsplash sides. Other wise, I think the sink is done!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

This is so beautiful.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Swooning. Want to come to Maine for vacation? ;-)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

enduring, that is breathtaking. Your talent and perseverance are inspiring. Do you hug it every time you go in the room? ;)

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph, thanks so much, what better complement than to say "beautiful" :)

Mabeldingeldine, I would love to come to Maine ;) I want to give you a swoon back to your very very cute/sweet bath, with the yellow vanity, love it.

Mama_goose, your kind words are a real treasure. Yes, LOL, I do (almost) hug this vanity every time I go in the room. I sit across from it and gaze, and being the good little girl that I am, resist jumping up and down.

I need to send these finished pictures to Brett, the woodworker that made the vanity for me. He told me it was a favorite project.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Your vanity (along with everything else in the bathroom) is absolutely beautiful. I hope my small future bathroom is half as wonderful as yours. I'm not going to lie. Some of your lovely bathroom ideas may be lifted and found in a future Iowa bathroom.

• aliceinjersey
    11 years ago

That is a truly lovely...

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Aliceinjersey and IowaCommute, it is such a pleasure to share these pictures with everyone. Happy to hear your appreciative words. I am not modest with this project :)

You now IowaC, I live in central Iowa :)

• wags848
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! What an amazing job!

• leela4
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a wonderful job! It is a beautiful, unique and calming bathroom.

And there is no way you should be modest about this project-all of you DIY soapstone (and other) people are awesome.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Enduring~I think I remember you saying you were from Iowa in another thread I commented on. We'll be about 30 minutes NE of Waterloo when we get up there. My in-laws have a farm we will be build on.

We will probably also have to do a custom vanity (I want to do soapstone sinks and counters) and the vanity itself will only be 19" wide for our bathroom.

• crl_
    11 years ago

That is so impressive.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Wags, Leela, & Crl I am so pleased with this project. I owe a lot thanks to the great folks here on GW as I tackled this odd project. Especially Angie_DYI who, as everyone knows, is so supportive. She even gave me a "Courage" badge on an earlier post when this project was in its infancy. I call this an odd project, because when I told others in my day to day life that I was making a sink, they'd look me strangely.

edited to add comment to IowaCommute:

IowaCommute, I hope that you love Iowa! You will be closer to the NE corner of the state, lucky you. It is so pretty up there. That location didn't get hit with the last glaciation 13 thousand years, or so, ago - so the landscape is more developed with more hills. I think that area is one of the most southern remnant Boreal type woodland landscapes. I'll post a link from an article by the University of Iowa.

When this bathroom gets finished I will be posting the "reveal" on the Bathroom Forum; though the room is small so not much else to show :) But, when I do post the reveal I will be featuring the whole project, not just the sink, as I've done here on the Kitchen (sink lovers) Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa and its Flora

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:56

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Enduring, when you are ready to come to Maine, you let me know! I love visitors and I'll have a nice new bathroom for them :-)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I am humbled and moved.

As you know, I oohed and aahed over your GORGEOUS sink and cabinet on the "New to Kitchens" thread. It is really swoonworthy!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I am absolutely in awe of you. This is so charming and beautiful! What a great job.

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angie, yes saw your post on "New to Kitchens". Glad you posted here too! Now as I am getting ready to tackle another bathroom project I'll need to dig up that badge. Now where did I lay that badge...?

GWlolo, thanks so much. The stone was a blast to work with. The sticking point with the project was all in the head, that is why I got the "Courage" badge from Angie a while back.

!Found the badge, at the end of this soapstone post from last year! See link. Mabledingeldine used it too, for grouting, from the sounds of her post :)

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Soapstone People Show Your Counters !

• enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is for @Zookeeper, and anyone else who is interested. I'm going to try and link all the pics from my computer, since Photobucket no longer supports posts. The sink is 10" deep on the outside and 18x18 square. So the inside depth is minus the 3cm stone.

1. front of sink slab:

2: bathroom combo:
    3. lumber 2x4 practice locking box joints:
    4. lumber assembled:

5. cutting patterns:

6. Backslash pattern:

1. More patterns:

8. cut pieces with dados:

• enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

more pictures of sink construction, continued. These rabbets or dados were cut with a very very strong router bit that I got at a high end woodworking store:

9. Backsplash, you can see my sharpie line on the left curve, so my jigsaw did pretty well at cutting:

10. Glued up:

11. Locking box joint:

12. Front:

13. Side that will show:

14. front with oil:

15. locking box again (with oil on part of the stone):
    16. close up of drain:

• enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

last entry.

17. It did hold water for 24 hours:

18. Vanity:

19. Backsplash glued up and fixtures mounted:

20. Completed vanity. You can see the faint line of the glue at the backsplash, and the tile isn't completed yet. My plumber thought the top of the backsplash was sub-par, so I had to work on the finish some more, while in place. PLUMBERS! lol:

• enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Click on the images to pop them open for larger format.

Thanks @beanibakes :)

• Chisos
    6 years ago

Love!!!

enduring thanked Chisos
  • enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm bumping this for @zookeeper. I hope she finds it. I messaged her it was here, but I think she saw all the broken links and didn't scroll to the end with these new pics.

• Buehl
    6 years ago

Thanks for fixing the pictures Enduring! I'm going to add this thread to the Read Me thread - it has very useful information.

I plan on revamping the Read Me thread over the next couple of weeks to make it shorter and fix some broken items. It's too bad Tamara hasn't been able to get me access to the FAQs to update them directly b/c many are still a mess since the Houzz take over and, in some cases, outdated. (She still hasn't added the Acronyms thread to the FAQs, so I'll take care of that as well via a thread here.)

enduring thanked Buehl
  • llcp93
    6 years ago

Hi YES!! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!! This is just awesome. Sorry, I have been out of pocket. Was out at the farm retaking measurements and doing a little work, and my cell carrier is not the preferred carrier out there, so no access.

Soapstone remnants are extremely hard to find, finding a stone yard/fabricator who will sell directly to me. The one piece I found right by me, they haven't given me a cash and carry price, which makes me go hmmmm. Now, I am searching from the list of Dallas fabricators.

• enduring
    Original Author
    6 years ago

'Bout time you showed up zookeeper :)

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@enduring - I have been searching for a sink/vanity for my powder room. I am in love with this idea

I love the idea of an integrated sink. I haven’t found someone who can make this for me yet - except in marble in Italy!

I have a contractor who can make me a floating counter - with a vessel sink. I’d rather not have a vessel sink though.

I just found this photo today

This marble sink made me think of soapstone - which made me think about your soapstone sink.

I LOVE natural soapstone.

What would you rank the difficulty of your sink project compared to other diy projects you’ve completed - on a scale of 1-10? How experienced of a diy’er were you at the time? I know that you’ve renovated at least two bathrooms - were these your first projects?

Due to some serious health issues, I’m not confident that I could take on a project like this - but I may be able to find someone who would (my nephew) - depending how terribly diffcult your soapstone sink was to create.

I know that I’ve asked you about your sink before - but I don’t think that I asked you this question. Thanks!