Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennymama

Is sinlge bowl still ok with no prep sink?

jennymama
16 years ago

I've been reading through posts on single vs double, and I'm almost sure I want to try out the single bowl sink. I noticed, though, that most people have a prep sink to use as well.

I will have only the one sink, located in my 8x4 island. Would only having one sink (about 30" wide) affect the decision for single vs. double bowl?

Comments (16)

• amck2
    16 years ago

I have a single sink and no prep sink. I create a "double sink" when needed by using a small Rubbermaid sink inside the big one. My sink is located on the perimeter, as opposed to my island, though. Don't know if that would make a difference in your case.

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

I, too, will only have 1 single bowl sink. I have no room for a prep and really didn't need one (though I could have shoved one in somewhere I'm sure). My single bowl will be a 36"er, though that is only because my 30 inch arrived cracked and was backordered through Feb. I am not worried about having only one single bowl sink...

• rockyperko
    16 years ago

We have a single bowl in our perimeter and no prep sink. Prior to the remodel, we had a double bowl. Our kitchen gets a ton of use and we love the single bowl sink and have never once even thought that we should have put in a double bowl. We put a bowl in the sink for the soapy water when doing dishes.

• User
    16 years ago

You can have anything you want, it's your kitchen.

I have a large, single bowl sink, which I love. I keep a dishpan in it for the dirty dishes, which still gives me more than half the sink free for other things, like prep. I have no need or room for a prep sink. If I need another sink, I use the sink in the laundry room next to the kitchen.

• jennymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, guys. It's a leap of faith for me to go from double bowl to single, and I just want to make sure I have all my bases (or bowls) covered, LOL!

• fightingoverfinishes
    16 years ago

I'll admit I have had my new single bowl for less than a week but I love it. Yesterday the new kitchen was put to the test. My new brother-in-law likes to cook-so my kitchen designed for one cook (ME) was suddenly being used by 2 and it worked. The single bowl was fine. I love it-I can fit an entire cookie sheet in it-flat, and my single bowl is small only 24 inches wide. It is so easy to clean large pots etc. I don't have a prep sink either.

• lily1342
    16 years ago

I had this same question back last winter when I was planning my kitchen. Would I regret a single bowl when I would have no prep sink? So I compromised and got the Kohler Smart Divide which is a double bowl with a very low divider. Now that I've been using it for awhile, I realize that I would still rather have a large single bowl. While I like the Kohler Smart Divide sink very much, and it is a whole lot better and easier to use than what it replaced, I find that I'm still banging larger dishes on the divider even though it's very short, and that's a little annoying. So, if I had it to do over again, I would just get what I wanted in the first place - a large single bowl. Even without a prep sink. As others noted, you can always put a plastic dishpan in the large single bowl for those times when you need the use of a double bowl.

• janash3
    16 years ago

Our house was built in 1932, so the kitchen isn't very large--no room for a prep sink. I've had the large single bowl silgranit sink for (oh, memory is the first thing to go . . .) about two years, and I've never felt the need for a double bowl. I love my huge single sink.

• Linda Ross
    16 years ago

It matters on how you do the dishes if you're happy. With one bowl if you fill it all the way with soapy water and someone brings you another plate to scrape off or something to pour out you are stuck. I have always done dishes using a plastic tub in the sink so not a problem for me but DH does not like the plastic tub and wants to fill one side with soapy water so he insisted on double sink. It's what you are comfortable with. If you plan on filling the whole single bowl with soapy water each time you do dishes and no prep sink then no where to rinse off late dishes or pour out something, and each time you rinse off a washed dish you add more water to sink and temp goes down. Just choose one with your habits in mind. Frankly, I love the single sink myself and hope to talk hubby into it with the remodel.

• anna_2006
    16 years ago

I am having the same debate. Our island will be 4x8 and the main and only sink will be in the island.

My husband wants a double while I would be willing to try a large single, but worry about how big it would look in that island.

We looked at sinks and for the double, we are thinking of the Blanco Supreme 1 and 3/4 because the smaller bowl is quite large. For the single, I would have loved an apron front sink, but it is too late for that. So, it will be a stainless sink, but am not sure which one.

What have you decided to do?

• ashlander
    16 years ago

jennymama, sounds like you've decided to get a single bowl sink. I just wanted you know that you'll love it!
    I too have an eight foot long island with a single (Franke Orca) sink and no prep sink. I love the single because it is so versatile. With counter space on both sides, two people can comfortably work together.

• glad
    16 years ago

i have a single bowl and it is only about 21 or 22" inches. maybe i just don;t know what i'm missing, but i've never had any issues or complaints. i'm planning the same in the remodel.

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

Planning on a single bowl, 33" with no prep sink. I've been suffering with double bowls ever since I left my wonderful old 1938 bungalow, which, of course, had "only" one HUGE single bowl. Can't wait to get back to it! Let's see...it's been 25 years.

I prefer to scrape and rinse dishes for the d'washer and wash a fair amount by hand. Have a small dishpan to throw in the sink when I need to. With a double, I always want to use the side with the disposal for everything--for prep work and for scraping dishes. So I don't see that anything is gained. Unless I installed disposals in both sides.

• jennymama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, I've decided to go for the single sink! I think I will really like it.

After reading about sinks on this forum, I'm probably going to get the S112 undermount Ticor sink. The only thing I'm worried about is that it is 10" deep. But, from what I've read, the sink grid helps.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Cool! A 10-inch deep sink on an island. Just think nobody will see those prep dirties you're hiding until after dinner.

Hope you love your Ticor sink and grid(s) as much as I do mine. Nice folks to deal with at Galaxy Tool, you can order by phone if you want, and delivery is exceptionally quick.

• Linda Giorgi
    16 years ago

I love my ticor sink to. I don't know how I lived with a shallow sink in the past. You will love it. I got the d sink and it fits my largest roasting pan. I used to have a double and don't miss it. now I have to deal with my lady lux cafe faucet. It sprays water all over everything. It splashes and makes a mess.
    Lynn