Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

How to get the seamless flush look for fridge, freezer etc.

lalithar
11 years ago

Can you show me pictures of your fully integrated appliances next to a countertop run? How is the side panel of the refrigrator built? Does it jut out beyond the cabinetry next to it? I need a way to explain this in clear terms to my custom cabinet guys.

We are doing framed full overlay cabinetry. I want to get a flush install for my fully integrated appliances - Miele All-Fridge, sub-zero freezer drawer and miele dishwasher. My understanding was that the appliance panel fronts will be on the same plane as the rest of the drawers and other cabinetry. However, the way the cabinets are built now seem to jut out by a few inches for the appliances. The cabinet guy says that they needed to just out as the countertop next to the fridge will have an overhang and needs to die into the cabinetry. Does the paneled door of the fridge fit inside the cabinet alcove or does it go beyond the side panel. I would assume the side panel would end where the fridge main cavity ends and the door with the panel would be after that to allow for maximum door opening.

Lalitha

Comments (14)

• marcydc
    11 years ago

Here's full overlay next to cabinetry. The counter does stick out a tiny bit - maybe a 1/2" ? I can try and get a better picture if you'd like. This is a Miele fridge.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcy,

I would love a better picture. I am trying to convince the cabinet guy that I am ok with the counter sticking out and he keeps saying that it is not the way it is done.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Here is a picture of my full overlay fridge next to a cabinet:

And the subzero fridge/freezer drawers:

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Here they are closed to, they are even w/ the other drawers in the run:

• 5yearslater
    11 years ago

Lalitha

Beagles cabinets are from dutchwood who I am using for overlay also. They mentioned to me that they like to add a frame around the refrigerator which I think you see in Beagles last photo, which doesn't appear in Marcydc's photo.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beagles, Marcy, 5years,

Thanks for educating me on this. Looks like the paneled door is a bit larger than the appliance to provide the flush fit that looks seamless with adjoining cabinetry.

How much overlay does your counters have? Did you reduce the overlay to make it easier to open close the paneled refrigerator?

Lalitha

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all or the pictures again. I sent them to my GC who sent them to the cabinet maker - I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

beagles, is your fridge made to use panels or is a regular fridge front with panels attached? If so, how?

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just had a frustrating conversation with my GC..he talked to the cabinet guy who basically looked at all the pictures and said it is not going to work because my fridge (Miele) is hinged on the right and there is countertop right next to it. So he feels that the door opening will be restricted if we install the overlay panels flush as it will hit the edge of the countertop. I cannot believe this. Please advise me on how to have this conversation. Should I call Miele or have the GC call Miele? See below for my cabinet plan. The refrigerator handle is shown wrong and should be on the other side- the fridge is hinged on the right.

• soibean
    11 years ago

lalitha - you should get the design guide for the fridge you are buying. They have instructions on how to create the panels for whatever look you want (inset, overlay).

Regarding the door opening: I'm pretty sure the Mieles are made by Bosch/Thermador/Gaggenau. I bought the Thermador integrated units; they have a special door hinge that opens OUT before swinging right or left, so they can easily clear any cabinetry next to them. On the design drawings, they have exact dimensions of the door swing and required clearance.

• soibean
    11 years ago

Here is a link to the Miele instructions for 30" right-hinged fridge. Not as detailed as the Thermador drawings, but it does show how the door swing works and the clearance required based on panel thickness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele design guide

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

In otherwords, you cabinet guy has a point. But the solution might be to ease off that corner of the countertop so that the door can swing as far as you need.

• lalithar
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Soibean - I have looked at the design guide and I guess I just don't understand how to understand what it says about the panel thickness and clearances. I want the 115degree opening.

• soibean
    11 years ago

lalitha, as you can see from others' photos, the kind of thing you are looking for is done all the time. These units are meant to be installed flush with adjacent cabinetry. Unless you plan to have a very thick panel on the fridge (as opposed to a standard 3/4" panel), there should be no issue with install. The other possible issue would be if the adjoining cabinet has a handle that sticks out far and is directly adjacent to the fridge door.

If the GC/cabinetmaker don't think it can be done, I think you should have them speak to someone at Miele. It's possible they have better documentation. Try looking at the Thermador documentation - they use the same hinge, and it should give you a good idea of the clearance. When opened 115 degrees, a door with 3/4" panel would be 1.5" from the cabinetry. If you have a 1" overhang, that's still 1/2" clearance. Don't give up!