Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back with revised layout

Posted by 3birdies (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 18:14

Hi, I posted a few weeks back for layout help. Working off bmorepanics concept (moving DR door to current pantry and closing off garden door), here is what I have come up with. Am I going in the right direction? Any feedback appreciated!

Goals:
- improve flow for family of 5 using kitchen
- increase counter space
- open kitchen to family room

Constraints:
- need seating for at least 5
- need a desk area for me/kids to use laptop, pay bills, etc.

Proposed
Take 2 for GW

Pros:
- Island with angled seating, that I love, borrowed from laur66. The dimensions are similar, except I need to fit in one more seat. (Maybe not a pro, but a like)
- Space for desk and overall more storage than any other layout I have fiddled with.

Cons:
- No prep sink
- Sink/prep area visible from front door
- Sink not centred on window (but I need to raise windows anyway, so may be able to address this)
- Cannot squish grandma/grandpa or school friends into island seating (table more flexible)
- Squashed cooktop area, with a lot going on. Dont know where to put microwave.

Current
Current Layout

Inspiration (laur66, love your kitchen!) laur66 island dimenions: Length is 80", widest part is 49" and narrowest part is 30". Each stool side is 21", except the side that angles to the straight part is 28".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back with revised layout

I am also concerned about your cramped range and prep area. The fridge opens directly behind the main prep space so anyone opening the fridge would bump into the cook, and you have very limited landing space on that side of the range.

I would consider reducing the pantry to 15" wide and scooting the Fridge to the left. You then have more counter space to the right, and can put the MW in an upper shelf above the counter, or a drawer MW below the counter. If you need more pantry space, I would look at converting the desk or part of the bar to tall pantry space. Most people who remodel are ripping out kitchen desks because they don't use them.

My in-progress, functional kitchen is set up very like your proposed layout (minus desk and bar). Although we have plumbed for a prep sink, we haven't installed it yet. So, I don't find the lack of a prep sink to be a problem in your kitchen because the island is not a barrier. Just don't move the current sink "south" on it's wall so you can keep it that way. Don't move the DW to the other side of the sink, either, because that would be in the way.

My sink and faucet are also slightly off-center between two windows and the sink doesn't bother me, but the faucet does when I notice it. That's not often, but I will have it fixed. So, center the faucet. Here's a pic of circuspeanut's apront front sink - you'd think an apron front sink would have to be centered, but it looks great.

edit: added some missing words

This post was edited by tracie.erin on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 17:14

o

Thanks tracie.erin. Re the fridge...true...plus I realise that there may be issues with opening the swingout pantry beside fridge that sticks out a bit. This version has the pantry minimised to 12", which gives me a total of 30" between the fridge and cooktop. Thanks too for the tips re sinks/faucet centring. Glad to hear that your similar layout is working for you. Looking forward to seeing pics of your kitchen!

Take 2a for GW

o

It's been a long time since I took trigonometry, but I believe your cool modified heptagon island doesn't have enough knee space for 5. Looks like from the center of each 24" side to the center of the heptagon is 18.25". Recommended depth for counter seating is 18". Even if people's legs used up only 12" of that 18.25", you're allowing only 8" of width for each pair of knees. That's pretty tight. I wouldn't want to sit there for any length of time. I'm hoping I misunderstood your picture and that you've got plenty of space!

o

I failed trig in highschool and never took it again. With that I will say that if the island is counter height the knee space suggested is 15" per person. 18" is used when the surface is table height. 12" for bar height.

o

instead of the 18 and 12 in wall cab I'd make one 30 in cab....it would look better also.The 12 in cab for mugs is all I'd want of that size-marginally useful.

o

a desk,if you need such spot located there would be better overall as a counter-15 or 18 in deep with a small chair/stool that gets pushed under. I'd reduce the width to 27 or 30 in and place a stack of drawers on the left side of hutch-at 15 in deep for the desk user's misc things. The deeper desk with the diag cutback is going to be dysfunctional in looks and usage after a while.Something more shallow that integrates better,without the cutback can, in the future adapt to other uses. Instead of all island seats in a circle on the left,why not bring 2 or 3 stools over to the right across the back of island, stretching out the seating and making full use of the back side.....you can still keep a couple nifty angles for a couple stools on the left.

o

fouramblues, debrak_2008...I think herbflavor's seating suggestion addresses the knee space issue...I just need to check the space for the angled chair seat.

herbflavor, I was trying to get some symmetry around the range hood by using another 12" upper, but the 30" upper would be more useful.

And good point re the angled desk. I have bumped that whole stretch out to 15", with room to pull up a chair/drawers at the end. I flattened out the boottom of the island...is this what you had in mind? I am not sure if the 6" long cupboard I stuck in there is of any use...might make sense to add that space back to the aisle between cooktop and island?

Take 2b for GW

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here