Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

JoyGreenwald's Thanksgiving kitchen reveal

joygreenwald
9 years ago

I am so excited to finally be able to share my kitchen reveal. And what better day than Thanksgiving? I am so thankful for this forum and all the help everyone here has given me. The kitchen is not quite done. There is construction junk hanging on top of the microwave. My husband needs to adjust the doors so they are actually even (which makes the hardware look uneven in the pictures) and finish the blind corner. We are waiting on some stainless outlet covers. And the center panel on the peninsula and spice pull out cover are being replaced soon. (They were damaged, but we were able to hang them back side out until the replacements arrive. Right now they don�t match.) But I thought it was done enough to share for the holiday.

Cabinets: Barker natural cheery. All the uppers are 13" deep (except for the tray cabinet, which is 15" and the pantry and refrigerator cabinets, which are 27" deep) by 42" high
Cabinet hardware: CoolKnobsandPulls.com stainless rectangular bars (32", 20", and 12" sizes)
Granite: Bross Blue leathered
Sink: Kraus not quite zero radius
Faucet: Blanco Culina (low flow model)
Filtered water faucet: Kingston
Soap dispenser: Generic, attached to a neverMT
Range: Fridgidaire Gas double oven
Hood: Windster
Backsplash tile: Aspect Tiles, stainless steel, in alternating short and long grain
Backsplash behind the sink: glass from onedayglass.com
Floor: Coretec Petrified Forest (Vinyl tile)
Paint color: Muralo Regal Attitude

We kept our Kitchenaide dishwasher (3 years old), Kenmore refrigerator (8.5 years old), and Panasonic microwave (19 years old!) because they all work and are in good shape (the fridge less than the others.)

Some of my favorite features:
-Glideware racks for hanging my pots and pans out of sight
-Custom blind corner built by my husband (with Blum hardware, pretty drawers and everything. Though only the blind part is done. He is supposed to install the two drawers that pull out
-Motorized trash/recycling!
-Rev-A-Shelf peg board, spice pull out, and sink tip out
-The cabinet that faces into my dining room near my back door with 4 pull-out shelves which hold all the things we need in the dining room or when we are running out the door
- My Omega 30" Super Susan

Structurally, we took down the small wall that used to house our fridge (and moved the fridge to the other side of the kitchen.) We expanded the width of the kitchen by 6" inches (bringing it up to a huge 12ft x 8.5 ft.) We took down the soffits, which allowed us to have significantly taller cabinets.

Everything in the original kitchen is back in the new kitchen except the toaster over. AND my cabinets are roomy with plenty of empty space left. My favorite unexpected difference was that I used the counter next to my range for raw meats and my peninsula for prep of anything non-meat. The granite, super deep undermount sink, and double oven made cooking and cleaning up so much easier.

My photography isn�t stellar, but at least it�s ample. ;)

This is the kitchen before:

{{gwi:1979482}}

{{gwi:1979483}}

{{gwi:1979484}}

{{gwi:1979485}}

And here is how it looks AFTER:
{{gwi:1979486}}

{{gwi:1979487}}

{{gwi:1979488}}

There are tons more pictures here: http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/joygreenwald/slideshow/New Kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: JoyGreenwald's kitchen slideshow

This post was edited by joygreenwald on Thu, Nov 27, 14 at 19:46

Comments (31)

• bordenh
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful! So open.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

It's lovely! I love the floor - goes great w/your countertop (which I thought was soapstone).

and the cabs are so sleek looking! They look great - yeah for Barker!

didn't see the cab facing the DR...what's on the inner side of the peninsula? drawers?

where are your hanging pots hiding? I don't see them...are they behind a door?

all in all, it looks great and must be a real joy to work in.

also wanting to see your dh's handiwork...

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I love the effect of the alternating grains on the backsplash - - and the glideware racks for the pots & pans. The counter is beautiful and I am sure that I don't need to say that the cabinets are too!

You say there is glass on the wall behind the sink? can't even tell that it is there! I will have to look into that!

• nini804
    9 years ago

Wow! What a difference! Love the cabinets...going all the way up looks awesome. And you bs is so cool! Great job!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Desertsteph, there are a lot more picture if you follow the link. But, since you've given me an excuse to post more here, here is the inside of the peninsula:

And here is what it looks like with the cabinet open:

And here is what my husband built (I slid the top "drawer" forward. It normally hides back in the blind as shown in on the bottom shelf):

I'm editing the original post to list the flooring: Coretec Petrified Forest.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Very lovely kitchen. I'm smitten with the pot/pan holder inside the base cabinet; first time I've seen one

• blfenton
    9 years ago

What a difference. So much more open with more counter space.

That backsplash is the coolest thing I have ever seen and it goes so well with your beautiful counter.

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mags438, I liked having a hanging pot rack, but I didn't want to close in the kitchen again. I looked into drawers, susans, racks, etc. I am particular about the finish on my pans, and I like being able to grab the exact pan I want without digging. I LOVE my Glideware racks. I can't remember how I found them, but I'm glad I did. Think I should put up a separate thread about them? I think more people should know about them.

Desertsteph, I forgot to say I was really into the idea of soapstone, but my cats and kids would turn "patina" into disaster. I love our granite, and I love that it wears like granite.

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

Looks great! Really love that backsplash. The cabinets and the granite all go together so well.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. I particularly like your cherry slab cabinets with the long pulls and your red wall with the colourful art. Your backsplash turned out nicely!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, y'all are making me smile!!!

• LeeMiller
    9 years ago

Looks great! Really love that backsplash. The cabinets and the granite all go together so well.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Excellent! You must be so pleased!

9 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen (and what a fun thing to be spending some Thanksgiving time admiring)! The pot hangers are great, and they've just moved to the top of my list of things to consider as we ponder our never-to-be-finalized remodel plans. Your granite is beautiful too. Like you, I'd love to have soapstone, but what's patina to me is ruin to DH so we're still thinking. How is your granite with heat, staining and etching? And are fingerprints/oils a problem with the leathered surface?

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Holy moley! What a change!
    Very very nice.

You did a fantastic job!
    So clean and sleek!

• bpath
    9 years ago

So sophisticated! The pulls are unbelievable, love 'em. The kitchen and the wall color really let the artwork shine, too. And how nice to see a brand new kitchen working hard for you, it still looks wonderful with the feast underway. Wishing you many HappyThanksgivings in your new kitchen!

• practigal
    9 years ago

You could start a thread not just on the glideware racks, but on getting organized! That was quite some beginning point and a beautiful endpoint! I love the long grain and long handles on those cabinets, I've never seen anything quite like it and it's quite beautiful!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

practigal, My family would laugh so hard if they read the suggestion that I comment on organizing. I'd take a picture of the playroom/office I'm in now, but just substitute in toys, papers, and dog gear in the first photo, make it worse, and you have the drift.

My advice for an organized anything: double the space you think you need and you might have room for everything....maybe. Oh, and ban your husband and children from entering the room except for brief visits. ;)

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Spectacular! Really terrific transformation!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Joy - Love what you did with your kitchen - just saw your other post on your glides.
    I love your wall and art in addition to the kitchen.

Love your suggestion about being organized! Twice as much space as you think. I re-organize things and think I have it perfect and then look over and realize I missed a couple of items.

Great job! Can't wait to see KAW pictures as well.

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 13:45

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Wow, what a great transformation! It looks so much more open with the pot rack gone.

Love your counters! Would you post a close-up, please?

That glideware rack is slick. I've never heard of this before so thanks for posting pics of it.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Wow, you know how to come out in style! Congratulations. You must be so happy!

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

This is a beautiful transformation, and I have to thank you for your mention (in the "Against the Rules" thread) about installing your upper cabinets at a 15" height.

This made my day, because my 1960's cabinets are about that height, and I've had it in my head that this was a pretty serious shortcoming. We're planning to keep the current cabinets, but the height of the old upper cabinets was really bothering me.

It's so helpful to compare the upper cabinet heights in your photos, and to know that nobody has noticed. And, to know that you chose the height for your beautiful new cabinets, on purpose, for your convenience. (You're right, I have no problem seeing or reaching items in mine, either.)

I love that you did your reveal on Thanksgiving. I'm thankful you did!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Congratulations, it is beautiful! Love the counter, backsplash and floor!

9 years ago

You pot storage is very intriguing. Can you tell me (us?) the cabinet width as well as the spacing of the two pullouts? I'm assuming that you can get it wide enough and hang things so that that two rows don't clunk into each other?

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

It's so beautiful. I love the wood, so rich and gorgeous. Great job!!! It was good to move the refrigerator. Looks great.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice! The hardware is so elegant, and I especially love the b/s. But the pan storage is brilliant!

• joygreenwald
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinet with Glideware racks in it is 30". They are each about 10" from the side wall, but they should have been spaced a little closer to the side and further from each other. (My husband didn't ask me, just installed them.). It works because I put the pots, which are smaller, on one and the pans on the other. But it would be better with different spacing.

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

Wow!! Very pretty! I especially like your leathered granite- it looks beautiful and brings everything together!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I too a peek at your reveal over Thanksgiving but wanted to come back & take a longer look. I remember when you found your slab & the pic of your little girl (cutie!) in front of it. It was a great find & looks fabulous in your new kitchen.
    I absolutely love your cabinet hardware.
    Great storage, especially your pots & pans and your corner storage.
    Congratulations!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I am late to the party but wanted to add my congrats on a beautiful, functional, efficient, really can cook room! Sleek and beautiful and warm and cool. You did a great job. I wanna come over and have a cuppa or cook up a storm with you. And chat.