Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanie1121

Granite is in, need backsplash help! Bill?

melanie1121
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'd like to DOWNPLAY the rust in the Typhoon Bordeaux granite.

I started a thread BEFORE the granite was installed and now realize I should have waited until after. I like the granite however I didn't realize how much MORE prominant the rust color would become pairing it with the Cherry Pecan cabinets. It brings out the rust in the cabinets rather than the brown.

How can I downplay the rust color in the granite? The stone also has silver grey, Ivory, cream, and small bits of burgundy and bits of deep purple. I dont want anything too trendy or too busy. Appliances are stainless steel. Cabinets should mellow to less "orange".

Suggestions please!

Melanie1121

I posted the photos from left to right beginning on the end with the dishwasher:

sink:

corner:

corner again:

small counter next to stove, unfortunately its where you walk into the kitchen and there is most rust in this counter portion:

Idea of whole kitchen without granite, two photos. Thanks for your help!

Counter I like the most, to the right of the pantry:

Thanks for looking!

Comments (53)

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

I like remodelfla's idea of soft grey. There is a post here with someone who just put in white glass subways that look grey - something like that would look really nice and not take away from that gorgeous granite.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I don't have a backsplash, but I think your granite and cabinet combination looks fantastic! You made great choices.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodel and lightly:
    ...soft gray might work...I initially wanted to stay away from the grays. I will put up a few samples and see. Please revisit and cast your vote.
    Morton:
    ..thanks for the vote of confidence. I was second guessing myself actually cause it looked too matchy matchy and I really didnt think the rust would dominate as much as it does. I hope the backsplash will soften it a bit.

So now for the backsplash...almost finished! almost...almost....almost.
    Melanie1121

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I think soft white or cream would work best. The dry wall is painted a soft cream or white in some areas and left grey in others. The soft paint color compliments the cabinets, the grey dosen't.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

susan..I think that is a good point. Would you do ceramic or tumbled stone? What do you suggest?

Melanie1121

• golddust
    15 years ago

Bianco Romano marble in 3 x 6 honed could possibly be the best apology for this bold granite. White/grey/creme neutral. Make them talk you down. Get several samples and call me in the morning.

• rnest44
    15 years ago

a couple of things: I love your granite, it's bold and looks great with your cabinets. Check out the thread called 'Feeling sick-not sure about tile-Pic' on page 2. A white on the blue (cool) side as opposed to the red (warm) side would blend the counters and look well with the stainless appliances. Ceramic or glass would work, both would look somewhat gray.

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I have very similar granite on my island and in my butler's pantry:

We chose a backsplash that was very simple, creamy white crackle tiles with different colored insert tiles. I think with a dramatic granite like that, keeping the backsplash simple is best. Our perimeter granite is a darker, different granite than our island, but I think this type of backsplash would look nice even right up against the dramatic backsplash:

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

susanilz5: Your vote is soft white or cream. I see what you mean about the gray, but who knows it might bring out the gray in the stone as others suggested.

golddust: Bianco Romano marble in 3 x 6 honed, you have a link for that one?

owls4me: I followed the posts 'Feeling sick-not sure about tile-Pic' on page 2 but couldnt find the tile you were referring to. Was it the off white (gray) subway tile the person wasnt happy with?

jeannie: Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for taking the time to post your photos. Are those tiles 6x6? ceramic or tumbled stone? Color is creamy white crackle? Where did you get them? Can you please provide some more details? Thanks.

Will head out to the tile store today to pick up some suggested samples.

Thanks for all of your help. I hate to say this but I noticed a faint crack and chip in the counter this morning. Not sure what is "normal" for this stone however I'm a bit concerned. I'm going to contact the fabricator. I'll check back with you when I have the samples. In the meantime, photos and suggestions are welcome.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Tumbled stone sometimes has alot of variation which may not give the muting effect that you're after.

Not necessarily. Melanie-- look into a tumbled marble called bottocino. If you go to my backsplashes and countertops page, you'll see several examples of it:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Backsplashes and Countertops Page

• golddust
    15 years ago

Here is a link to my album with photos of our backsplash. Hope this link works!

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/3273826

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm still searching and undecided.
    Bill, Thanks for your reply and for the link.

I got a sample of the Bottocino and Antique Beige in a tumbled marble. For some reason I don't think the bottocino works. Could be just the color of the tile I was looking at. Who knows? Hard to tell from one little tile I brought home.

What do you think about the tiles? Bottocino to the left, Antique Beige to the right. I want to DOWNPLAY the rust in the granite yet "marry" the counter with the cabinets.

Also, looking for simple. Was wondering if I should do a 6 x 6 or go with a brick pattern(?). Don't want it to look busy but dont want "boring" either. Not a fan of the diamond pattern. See photos below.

Also, got in touch with paigesmom who also installed typhoon bordeaux with white cabinets. She did a Tagina Siena in Bone with a crackle. So I provided a photo of that tile too. What do you think?
    Melanie1121

Sample of the Antique Beige I found online:

Bone Crackle

Thanks!!!

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Goldust,
    Your kitchen is beautiful. Love the dog!
    I like the light brick pattern. Is that marble? Does it have a rough or smooth edge?
    Nice job! May work with my kitchen. Who knows? I'm so confused! Thaks for sharing.
    Melanie1121

• jac1265
    15 years ago

Melanie1121, I have similar granite with a little more maroon called Crema Bordeaux. I have ordered a Sonoma Tile, Stellar line in Vanilla with Bronzeworks brass accent tiles. It has taken me 4 months to settle on a tile because the granite is so bold. The tumbled stone tiles I brought home seemed to have too much movement with this type of granite. I'll post pictures when the tile is installed. I am sure whatever you chose will look great. Good luck!

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jac1265,
    Thanks for your reply. I would be very interested in seeing your Sonoma tile once installed. Do you plan on installing soon? Send photos! Thanks,
    Melanie1121

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jac1265...also...what pattern did you choose? I'm going to aim for something not too busy. How bout you? I'd welcome ideas. Thanks Melanie

• jac1265
    15 years ago

Melanie, the tile should be arive in about two weeks. Hopefully, it will be installed before the end of the year. I have 9' ceiling so the cabinets have a 36" door plus a 13" door and crown moulding. I tried to chose a pattern that broke up all the vertical lines. There will be 2 rows of a 3x6 subway tile, 1/2 inch liner, and then 3 rows of 4x4 tiles all in vanilla. Cut into the 4x4 tiles will ocassionally be 1/8" blooming leaf. The area over the range will be framed 4x4's set on a diagonal with 1 inch and 1/8" blooming leaf decorative tiles, and a liner. It sound busy, but it is all cream and bronze so it looked very rich, but neutral. I hope it ties everything together!

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jac1265,
    Thanks for details, I appreciate it. The idea sounds lovely, I hope it ties everything together for you. I actually wished I picked the backsplash FIRST. Today, Im leaning towards a matte finish, who knows tomorrow (??). I just called my granite fabricator about an extra sample piece I can take to the tile store with me. I hope to have this settled soon, I'd like to start cooking. Best of luck Jac and let me know how it turns out.
    Sincerely,
    Melanie1121

• megradek
    15 years ago

I'm getting to this late - finally back from thanksgiving! My vote would be for something in the light, muted grays (as mentioned by multiple others), but that brick pattern cream colored stone seems like it would be beautiful. It's turning out to be a gorgeous kitchen.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please vote:

I brought home three types of subway tile:

1. A beige-like brushed and polished marble Botticino (recommended by Bill).
    2. A porcelain cream colored tile which faintly resembles marble without all of the inconsistencies and maintenance.
    3. A bisquit (off white) crackle subway tile. Photos below:

1.beige-like brushed and polished marble Botticino (bottom four tiles on the black board)

2.porcelain cream colored tile (daytime photo)

Same tile as above (porcelain), nightime photo (tile looks darker at night):

3.bisquit (off white) crackle (sideways because the board wouldn't fit underneath the cabinet). Disregard the darker tile:

I like all three however my concern is that the marbles may be too busy looking once installed (Shades, faint veins, variations), and the crackle tile may look too plain and not "marry" the cabinet with the counter.

What do you think? Yay or Nayyyyy?
    Sincerely,
    Melanie1121

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I think they would all look nice, although I prefer the crackle tile, maybe with some kind of accent tile to pull it all together and give it some pizzazz.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I'm sort of partial to the tumbled travertine. I like the matte finish with the gloss of the granite. If you go with the crackle tile, I think a color that is a little creamer colored would look better than the off white you show above. that white just looks a little too stark for the warm colors in your granite.

Here's mine, before grouting. The granite is Delicatus.

• jamms
    15 years ago

Hi,

Your kitchen looks beautiful. I totally agree with ccoombs recommendation. I am planning on using travertine to offset the glossiness of granite counters in my new kitchen. Good luck with your decision.

ccoombs; can you please tell me the manufacturer and color of your travertine? Thank you.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Crackle for me... but I usually choose crackle over tumbled stone for a backsplash... it's a personal bias.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I'm just the opposite. I think the tumbled marble adds a European kitchen feel-- makes it very warm and homey. But this of course is personal opinion.

• auchmedden
    15 years ago

I honestly think any of those choices would be fine, but on my monitor, the nightime porcelain tile looks the best. I do think a nice accent tile would look great with any of them. How about a metallic one to bring out the grey in the granite and the nickel of the hardware? Your kitchen looks lovely so far!

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

My Gold and Silver granite is similar to yours. I used a cream tile with taupeish decorative inserts.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

Melanie,
    Just wondering if you made your backsplash choices yet.
    We have the same granite - I'll try to post pics later today of some of our choices.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Lsandler - your kitchen is absolutely beautiful and the backsplash is perfect.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

I REALLY would not do another stone.

I like the cream tiles the best....that keeps things nice and updated as well...if you want to marry them more, do an accent tile as shown above...I would also do nice cream walls in that space...so that would really tie in nicely with the tiles.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for all of your input. I think a matte cream tile with an accent tile or a crackle cream subway tile will work.There are so many manufacturers and so many cream colors. Can anyone suggest a nice cream color from a particular manufacturer?
    Thanks
    Melanie1121

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

melanie,
    Sonoma makes some really beautiful tiles and has a crackle tile. Here's one... I like the 3x6 in the Pale Ale Crackle.
    Color:

3x6

This is from Sonoma's MoSuprema line: I love the 1x2 broken joint with the arch like this. They also have it regular. It comes in the Pale Ale too. There is also a honey color but it's more yellow I think.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Wouldn't these make a beautiful accent? I'm a fan of glass though...

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remodelfla I'm glad you wrote again!

I want to achieve a clean, simple yet elegant look. I also want to downplay the rust in my granite and pick up the ivory color.

I went back and forth and around! I think I like the subway tiles! After all that! I went to a few nice tile stores, one happens to carry the Sonoma tile. Of course, the lady in the "tile boutique" said "everyone does subway tiles". I figured well I've never done a subway tile and I think it can be a nice clean look!

I DO like the look of the crackle tile however am concerned about the glare; the matte tiles is more pleasing to the eye (less glare) yet may be too plain. However, I think I can do either in a subway and it will work.

I went to the tile store and brought home several Sonoma samples (before I read your post about the pale ale color).

I picked up some matte and crackle Sonoma tiles:
    Cream city matte: a little too yellow
    Krazy Crackle: white and maybe a little too bright but I think it may work.
    Moonstone matte: ok
    Ecru crackle: Also nice, a little softer than the white but maybe too beigey. What is the "color family" for ecru? Brown, green, grey?

I'm going to go to the tile store and get a sample of the pale ale.

What do you think?
    Also, does crackle need to be sealed before AND after installation?

For those folks who wrote about the tumbled marbles...I appreciate your input and I think they are great, it's just not the look I want to achieve.
    Thanks!
    Melanie1121

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love all the beautiful stones and feel any of them will look great. I especially love CCoombs tumbled Travertine's color and look and design on her wall. I also love the look of Lsandler's cream tile with taupeish decorative inserts with grout that matches so well with the thinnest lines that it works so well with the busy beautiful counter.

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

I too ordered Typhoon Bordeux granite for my counter. They are templating tommorow. Will be installed in about 1 week. Just went to pick out a backslash. I like the crackled glass but thought it was to much scattered around and liked the uniform look better. Probably going with Merola Colliseum Noce tiles in 4 x 4 squares and over the stove will do a pencil square with the diamond pattern in it. I like the natural look and it goes w/ the beiges in the granite. Let us know what you go w/. Buy the way this is a natural stone and need to be seeled.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rtmom2,
    I'm leaning towards a matte subway tile. I called the Anne Sacks showroom and asked them to please send me only samples of tiles they had in stock (none that needed to be ordered). So, they should arrive in the mail soon. Looking forward. In the meantime, with my stove hooked up and running water (without a backsplash) I cooked a turkey breast, baked potato and mixed vegetables. I haven't even completely figured out how to work my new oven. It's a kitchen aid with a touch panel and oddly the off button doesnt work. So I had to set up the "timed" meal in order for it to shut off. I must be doing something wrong. In any case, I will read the manual today and if all else fails I will call customer service.
    Best of luck on your backsplash. Please post photos when you are done.
    Melanie1121

• krissd
    15 years ago

Melanie - What did you decide?

I have typhoon bordeaux granite and cherry cabs coming - I want to see your photos!

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi krissd,
    Didn't finish! Leaning towards Anne Sacks Warm Candle White in a matte 2 x 8 subway. Any thoughts? What are you leaning towards?

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I first thought gray, but then looking at the drywall like Susan said it didn't work. I like the Antique Beige "brick" like pattern - can you try a sample with the counters IRL? Pale Ale might work too.

Golddust - I could see the small pics, but server was too busy or something to display the large pics when I clicked on sidebar. My laminate is similar to your granite, I was also thinking marble b/s with lots of variation. What is your marble? And DH made the corner pieces?

• krissd
    15 years ago

I have looked at Ann Sacks' website but didn't see the warm candle. I am tempted to go to her store here in Portland. I heard they have some kind of outlet. I love the beveled subway in the Mayfair. However...I haven't priced it out. I don't need a whole lot, but I splurged on my granite, so we'll see.

I like the idea of a subway tile. I'm also toying with the idea of a 4x4 offset with a liner in a creamy beigey color. I had big hopes for a colorful diamond patterned backsplash before I picked out my granite. Now, i think less is more. I love the 'rust' tones - I think of them as more caramel. Mine seems to have more beige than gray.

I think the subway would be great. I love the subway in the kitchen in the Brothers & Sisters set.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• christinamc
    15 years ago

Melanie,
    After reading your thread, I can relate to what you've been going through with trying to pick a b/s. I have a different granite than you--Santa Cecelia--but went through a similar process of elimination with the natural stone, which in the end we decided was too pink and rough for our glossy granite.

As you can see from the picture below, we picked a neutral glossy subway (Daltile almond). The travertine/brown glass mosaic was a compromise addition to please my DH who loved the look of natural stone. I was surprised that the accent strip looked as good as it did after installing it. I was worried it would be too much, but it actually brought out the dark brown in the granite, and adds, IMHO, just the right amount of interest to the backsplash.

Please do post a photo of your final choice. I'm sure everyone would like to know what you end up with. Your granite is gorgeous! Perhaps, since your granite has a lot of movement, a plain neutral color of tile without an accent will look the best.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Hey Melanie-

Been thinking of you. I just ordered my tile and it wasn't an easy decision! Wondered if you came up with anything yet.

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Melanie, I love your granite with your cabs so much that I told another poster wondering what granite to put w/cherry cabs to check yours out! Hope that's ok? I would've loved to have done Typhoon Bordeaux but this kitchen needed a dark, low-movement contrast (log walls)so we used uba tuba.As for the bs, the bottocino has a very slight pinkish cast according to my monitor,and I would rule that out.Your idea of a creamish tile with an accent sounds nice.Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will look great. You've got a beautiful foundation.Good luck and can't wait to see the final result.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for checking in. I decided to live with my kitchen for a little while. I finally placed my tile order last week. I decided to go with a plain matte finish tile. Too many windows adjacent to the kitchen so I was concerned about the glare bouncing off of the granite and the backsplash. So, that being said, I ordered Ann Sacks elements 3 x 8 (a little variation on the standard subway tile) in the "warm candle white" matte finish. The sales person in the store recommended the antique white grout and the tiles need to be sealed before and after grouting with a product called pourous plus. The downside is the tiles take about 6 - 8 weeks to come in (I swore I would never wait that long) and the frieght charges were very high. I figured I waited this long what's a "few" more weeks.

The only concern I do have is cooking without a tile backsplash. I dont fry much but the other night I stir fried and some of the oil splatterd onto the backboard. I scrubbed it down afterwards and hoping when I finally do install the tiles this will not give me a problem later on (i.e. mold, bacteria, who knows?). So my advice to anyone waiting for a backsplash but still cooking is to put a piece of tinfoil behind the stove. I wish I had done this before but didn't think about it until the problem arose. I will start a separate thread on this to give people the heads up.

In the meantime, I purchased curtains and am looking into purchasing a light honey colored or natural oak dining room set. I would like to get something that contrasts the cherry cabinet and easily "melds" with the natural oak floors (so, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears).

I also found a very nice paint color for the dining area...its called "Mascarpone"...it is part of the Benjamin Moore Pottery Barn collection and it looks very nice.

So, I'm excited, everything is coming together little by little. I will definately post photos when it's all completed. In the meantime, I really thank everyone for their suggestions, support and for posting photographs. It helped me arrive at my decisions.

All of the backsplashes you folks have posted came out great! Thanks for sharing them.

I'll write soon, everyone please do the same.

Sincerely,
    Melanie1121

• krissd
    15 years ago

Hi - I'm happy that you made your decision. Sounds like a great choice. Like the idea of the 3x8.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

wow, I looove the rust in your granite. you just send that granite right on over to me - ok? lol! I will looove the rust daily and tell it 'I love you'!

that's a granite i could have in my house. Many of them I don't like much at all.

• melanie1121
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dear desertsteph,
    Thanks for the "yay" vote regarding the typhoon bordeaux
    granite and rust running through it. The electrician put the wires together and showed me the under cabinet lighting and the granite truly "comes to life".
    The tile came in and is going to be installed in a week. I am so excited. I finally placed a call to the painter and made a tentative arrangement for the first week in May. Can't wait to post photos of the finished kitchen. It was worth the wait.
    Melanie1121

• ferrygirl
    12 years ago

1Sandler:
    If you are still around (I see you posted this in 2008!), I just stumbled upon the photos of your beautiful backsplash! Can you tell me where it's from? Thanks so much!

• terteranan
    12 years ago

Help! I love the kitchen pictures from lsandler above and I think that will work well with my granite, however I don't know who makes the tiles. I thought maybe they were Sonoma Tilemakers, which do offer that rhomboid size, but they don't offer that offset piece. Any suggestions? I wish I could get the info from lsandler directly. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz