Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piaa

Our Finished Kitchen with Pictures :)

piaa
13 years ago

Hi everyone

As you may remember (or not) I live on the small island of St John in the US Virgin Islands so remodeling our kitchen had a few additional challenges - mainly we bought everything sight unseen (well I did view the cabinets on one of my trips Stateside) but everything else was by looking a pictures online. Purchases were then shipped to a freight forwarder in Miami, loaded onto a 20â container, put on a cargo ship, delivered to St Thomas where the container cleared US Customs, trucked to the dock and then sailed over to St John via ferry and finally delivered to our driveway (where the container got stuck) was left for 2 days for us to unload and then finally we began the install.

If you would like to read all about our remodel adventures you can go to our blog at www.onawhimstjohn.wordpress.com and follow along - we still have all of the exterior siding and windows (should be fun as we are 30â up in the air) and the downstairs to complete so this process has only just begun but for now, as a big thank you I would like to show you our finished kitchen that you helped to design - we love it :)

Sorry the pictures are a bit dark but we have had some overcast days and the lighting was not great :(

Kitchen Cabinets - Kraftmaid, solid Maple, Thornton Style, painted white (Kraftmaids Dove White)

Appliances - All by Bosch

Countertop - Python Soapstone (installed by Florida Josh)

Sink - Kohler

Faucet - Grohe

Backsplash - Oceanside, Prose, Custom Blend in Clear

Paint - Benjamin Moore, Moonshine

BEFORE (note only one, yes one upper cabinet)

AFTER

PANTRY - door frame was not painted and no drywall was up at the time of taking this picture but they are now :)

Exterior Pantry - almost same view as picture #3

And of course I have to leave you with this :)

Comments (27)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL and so appropriate for your location. The backsplash is especially pretty. As much as I enjoyed your kitchen pictures, the last picture seriously made tears spring to my eyes as it is 50-ish and rainy and windy in my parts today. Not to mention I haven't had a proper vacation in forever..........

Thanks for sharing!!!! Enjoy!!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Ooooh so much storage space. Looks great. And yes, crystal clear tropical waters came to mind right away!

What I love most about your kitchen is that you didn't totally reject your old kitchen but rather payed homage to it by keeping the same color scheme, that you obviously liked.

Too often the remodel is a chance to totally go in the opposite direction. I was expecting dark wood and travertine when I saw the befores! Lol. Lovely! Enjoy!!

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen and a beautiful viiew!

ML

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Love your backsplash and soapstone. So much more storage. You did a great job picking out things via on-line shopping - so often they look very different in person. Cold and gloomy here today - wish I was on the island. Enjoy!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

Your backsplash is like the sun sparkling on the water. Beautiful, love the whole look.

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love your choices. And, of course, that final picture - makes me wish I were at the Gulf.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

How about some visitors now that the kitchen is done?!

• cj47
    13 years ago

How Beautiful!! I love that backsplash, and that view. Enjoy the new kitchen !
    cj

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Of course I remember you! You helped me a lot when I was looking for tile to go with my Icestone counters. Your OGT clear turned out beautifully!

Like sabjimata, I like that you stuck with a look that worked. When I saw the first before pic (not the fridge shot!), I thought for a moment, "what a sweet kitchen." Now you have the new and vastly improved version! Congrats!

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

Oh Piaa I remember you! I think you post quite a bit on the VINOW forum?? I used to frequent that before our VI trip. Spent a wonderful day on your island on Trunk Bay!

Your kitchen is soooo lovely! I esp love the backsplash - it just looks caribbean!!

So if we make another visit to the VIs - can I call upon you for advice? thinking of doing a girl's trip!!

• piaa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mountaineergirl - yep that is me :)

I would love to help with any trip you are planning - just send me a PM :)

Pia

Here is a link that might be useful: our remodel blog

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is worthy of its lovely location ;)
    The bs is as wonderful as everyone says, but the last pic steals the show!
    I guess if you have to come inside from time to time, you now have a gorgeous reason to do so....

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Your kitchen turned out lovely and like the rest I love the backsplash.

It will just take me a minute to grab my snorkel and flippers. I was there a few years ago, it's beautiful.

Nancy

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Wow, wow. WOWOWOW!!! That is quite a transformation. Just beautiful and particularly nice how it coordinates with the natural outdoor 'decor!' It must be a thrill to use with all the improvements.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

An amazing increase in storage and function! And that BS is a wonderful reflection of the colors in that last gorgeous pic! Enjoy!

• taggie
    13 years ago

What a transformation! Great job!! Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful new space. :)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Congratulations--love your backsplash, it looks like the inside of a shell!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

LOVE it--especially love the backsplash and of course, the view!!! Enjoy it all!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

Beautiful! When are you having us all over for dinner? ;-)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Welcome Back! I'm so glad to see photos of the finished product. It turned out great. And yes, you posted just in time, the weather is getting cold here again.

Shall I bring my new Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker with me when I visit, or do you have one? (You really do need one if you don't, btw!)

Enjoy the finished space, as if I even have to say that!

-Bee

• grneyesct
    13 years ago

A girl after my own heart!! I love love love the choices you made. The backsplash truly finishes off the kitchen.

You did a super job choosing sight unseen :) I would have been a nervous wreck not being able to have seen some things in person before buying them. Especially since you cant exactly just run back to the store for returns!

I hope you enjoy many years in your cool new digs!

~ D ~

• ebean
    13 years ago

lovely lovely and i might have to post that outside view next to my desk (nyc is cold and rainy today).

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

Such a great improvement, nice work!! I want to come visit :)

• piaa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind words - I wish the photos were brighter but oh well I think you get the idea :)

I forgot to say how proud I am of hubby as he did all the work himself (well except installing the soapstone we left that up to Florida Josh) including moving the gas stove and gas line, all new electrical, installing the cabinets (solo) new plumbing for the dishwasher, making the kitchen 1 foot larger and therefore building the walls and installing all new drywall, installing the backsplash and building and installing the pantry shelving .......... whew makes me tired just remembering :)

It took time but sooooo worth it and even though I have not been posting here much I still check in daily - it's a wonderful helpful forum and again I want to thank everyone for all the advise given here - thanks everyone.

Pia

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Hi Pia! It turned out beautifully! No STJ for us this year (sigh) but it's always in my thoughts. (Thinking of doing 8 Tuff in 2012 to celebrate my 50th. But that's too far away!)

I know you put alot of thought into your kitchen and it is just wonderful. Enjoy it!

(PS - after looking at the real estate listing someone posted on VIOL -- maybe you could turn that stuck storage container into a "guest house"!)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Looks fab! I'm so glad to see it after all the little bumps. Amazing how well your backsplash captures the look of the water in your last photo!

• prill
    13 years ago

Everything looks beautiful! The backsplash is so pretty. I can't imagine the difficulties of ordering everything sight unseen.

Don't know where I was when this posted, but I'm happy to see it now. Now as for that last picture... I've always wanted to go to St. John, that might push me over the edge.