Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourten1j

Condo Kitchen Reveal (November 2013)

fourten1j
10 years ago

My kitchen remodel is finally completed, so here are the visual goodies for all of you.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

MATERIALS LIST:
Perimeter Counters - Silver Soapstone w/ Dorado's drywax
Island Counter - Carrara Marble
Backsplash - 3x6 "Ice Grey" Honed Marble
Flooring - 12x24" "Modern Black" Porcelain Tile
Refrigerator - SubZero 27" Integrated, 700TCI
Oven - Wolf 30" E-Series Unframed, SO30-2U/S
Cooktop - Wolf 30" Gas, CT30G/S
Vent Hood - Vent-A-Hood 30" Under Cabinet, PRH9130
Dishwasher - Blomberg 24", DWT 55500 SS
Microwave - Panasonic 1.2cuft 1200W, NN-SD681S
Sink - Vigo 30" Undermount, VGR3013C
Faucet - Kraus 8" Single Lever Pullout Chrome, KRAKPF-1602
Garbage Disposer - InSinkErator Evolution 3/4 HP
Water Filter - 3M Aqua Pure Full Flow, 3MFF100
Blind Corner Pull-Out - Hafele LeMans II

A FEW SIDE VIEWS:

COOKTOP & OVEN AREA:

SINK AREA:

LEFT BLIND CORNER CABINET:

ISLAND:

CUTLERY TRAY:

ISLAND CARRARA MARBLE:

TRIM:

UNDER-SINK:

FLOORING:

Below is a link to the thread I started before endeavoring on the kitchen project... just to tie everything together. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Planning & Feedback GardenWeb Thread

Comments (60)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Just perfect! I love the combination of the carrara, the soapstone & the slightly darker marble backsplash with the white cabinets & stainless appliances. And the floors. I don't know how you could have done it any better. Your silver stools with the black seats, the perfect finishing touch!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I am in love! I love all the changes and how bright and beautiful your kitchen is with better use of storage and work space. I love the floors. I love the full-overlay shaker style white cabinets. (By the way, what white paint did you use for your custom gorgeous cabinets?) I love both counters chosen. I love the backsplash and appliances. The silver stools with the black seats completes the beautiful overall look! Thank you for sharing and enjoy!

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 22:05

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Very cool!!!

• scootermom
    10 years ago

Mmm...that is gorgeous! So wonderful to get those hanging uppers out of the way and all of your choices are beautiful. Love the waterfall of marble. Enjoy cooking in your kitchen...I am seriously envious!

• sbp59
    10 years ago

I love love what you did with this kitchen! We also did a small kitchen remodel so I love to compare. You really thought things out and it goes together beautifully and seamlessly. The only thing I question is the waterfall....does it have any functionality or is it a look that people just enjoy? Congrats and enjoy!

• Wagle
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen, so beautiful.
    Who is the maker on the cutlery tray?

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

LOVE it!

• taggie
    10 years ago

What a fabulous remodel. I totally love how you made such perfect use of the space ... looking on your other thread it's just night a day and your new layout is spot on. I can't believe this kitchen is in a 625 sqft condo!! It looks so much more spacious than that, you've really done a beautiful job. Congratulations.

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

VERY nice! What a great improvement! Can you tell me where you got the 3x6 "Ice Grey" Honed Marble?

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

• miruca
    10 years ago

Amazing! Who would have thought this layout would be so much nicer. Absolutely love it.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

What height are your cabinets? What white paint did you use on your gorgeous white cabinets?

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Fox - Wow - love what you did with your condo kitchen. It opens up the area so nicely!
    Congratulations and enjoy.
    Looking forward to KAW pictures.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Fantastic! The materials are all gorgeous, and the barstools and lights are perfect. I love that your pictures are taken from exactly the same angle. Your old kitchen wasn't bad, but this one is so "right" I can't even picture any alternatives.

• dee850
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful! What a great layout change. The details are great, too. I like the flat trim on the uppers.

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn - The white was called "lace white." I actually didn't spend much time looking at the colours. The cabinetmaker just had me take 5 samples home and I chose the one that had a slight hint of pink under my (at the time) halogen floodlights. Cabinet height is 36" from floor to top of counters.

sbp - The waterfall was mostly for looks. Since my island is small, I thought just a slab on top looked too 'cheap.' At the bottom of the waterfall, the end actually sits on top of part of the floor transition, so that was a positive for me.

Wagle - Cutlery tray was Wood Hollow in Georgia. I bought it from their ebay listing.

Black - The 'ice grey' marble tiles came from Statements Tile in Seattle; they come in several sizes. Their supplier is http://agorasurfaces.com

The only thing I regret was not asking in time to have the outlets be low and horizontal on the backsplash, but it doesn't really bother me too much.

Feel free to ask any more questions!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you FoxCrane! I have a kitchen designer/tile installer/contractor coming by tomorrow night so I am trying to learn all I can as I am finally ready. I better get some sleep.

I love the 36" height with just enough crown molding.

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No prob, Lynn! Sorry to respond late; I went up to Canada for part of the weekend.

My ceiling height in the kitchen is about 89"... there's a false ceiling for the wiring and air duct since I'm in a condo.

Good luck with your designing, and post progress photos!

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

FoxCrane you did an amazing job! It's exquisite. The kitchen just exudes harmony and sophistication.

Is it really the same space? I'm pretty sure everyone else in your building will want to remodel.

I wish many happy and peaceful days there!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Beautiful! What an amazing transformation from a fairly nice, but basic kitchen to a fabulous kitchen with a really fantastic layout. And wow, that waterfall counter is gorgeous! I love your selection of materials.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Wow, great job! It is perfectly designed for your space. Love the cabinet over the hood. Love the backsplash too...great job!

• sbp59
    10 years ago

Good point on the waterfall and makes sense! Can't stress how gorgeous and functional it looks! Bet you'll really enjoy it!

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Foxcrane, can you tell me a little more about your cabinet door pulls? The manufacturer and where they were purchased?

I hope you are enjoying this great kitchen!

Thanks!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Foxcrane, I had to look one more time as I am in love with your kitchen. You really did a great job making good use of your space as well as creating a gorgeous kitchen that I love!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crazy - The cabinet hardware are the stainless steel bar pulls from www.amerockforless.com which was recommended to me from the cabinetmaker. The door pull sizes were all sized 128mm, except for the doors above the sink, which are sized 76mm.

The drawer pulls were varying sizes.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Your new kitchen is perfection! It is seamless and very elegant. I do not know where to begin on all of the things I love about it! Choosing a backsplash is tough as we all know and you picked the perfect one for your kitchen. I love the cabinets and how they are finished out with the clean molding at the ceiling. The countertop choices are gorgeous! It is so warm and inviting. The fridge is fab and fits in perfectly.

So excited for you to move in and get to use it all!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Excellent attention to detail. Love all your choices.

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another week away from my kitchen and I already miss making food in it! This past weekend, a couple good friends came over and helped me break-in/de-flower the new kitchen. We made sous vide braised beef short ribs, Thomas Keller's pork belly, golden beet salad, and potatoes. Yummm! The beef short ribs were finished in a sherry cream sauce with shallots, and they were EXCELLENT and I can't wait to cook them some more.

Anyhow, here's a snapshot of my two friends who came over to help me break in the kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by FoxCrane on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 20:18

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Foxcrane, that sure looks delicious and your island's counter is perfection! I love it so much. I love all your appliances and cabinets as well as the layout. If this is you, you and your significant other look so happy. I wish this was my kitchen. I am very happy for you. Your design is so perfect for your Condo. I am in a Condo that is a townhouse style with a garage and I appreciate you share as it is giving me ideas.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

If you click your heels together three times do you land in your kitchen?

Thanks so much for the info on the pulls, and I keep coming back to peek under the sink. So cleanly done!

Thomas Keller? Carrara? Good friends? Life is good. Wishing you the happiest of holidays and many wonderful memories in your home!

Thanks again for your photos and resource sharing!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen ! The changes to layout are awesome

• enduring
    10 years ago

What an improvement. It is wonderful

• tmy_jax
    10 years ago

Beautifully done! Congrats!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been making squid ink pasta... it looks lovely on the marble!

Will be hosting a Friendsgiving dinner this weekend; will try to get a few KAW photos.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Have a wonderful time with your friends. Thank you for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I just had to visit again your kitchen as my kitchen is not big and your kitchen has the cabinet look I love. I just realized you said the picture is of your two friends that look like they love your kitchen like we all do. Have fun!

Thank you for sharing all the details.

• IliN
    10 years ago

Beautiful!!! Looks so much bigger now. I love your island and beautiful details!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some photos from Friendsgiving!

Making some pasta; great activity for groups!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How to handle the Turducken?!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are intently watching every step the turducken takes.

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the squid ink pasta we made this afternoon waiting for a dunk in the boiling water.

• rosie
    10 years ago

That just made me crave seafood, Foxcrane. Thank goodness we just landed on the coast.

What a terrific kitchen, and special place you've created. These pictures are proof that what happens in a kitchen is the real finish to the design.

Everyone crowding around to participate is also a complete explanation for going with an island. I can see now that it had to be. :) Love your choices for your surfaces also. Happy cooking...

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Foxcrane, you have such a wonderful gorgeous kitchen and everyone looks like they are enjoying it! The floor looks delicious!

I have a question on where you put your trash and recyclables as I am trying to decide this for myself as my kitchen is in a townhouse so is not that big.

Thank you again for sharing your gorgeous well thought out kitchen that is perfect for entertaining.

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Lynn, I have a trash can under the sink, but when doing heavy cooking for functionality's sake, I pull it out and set it to the side of the perimeter counter so I can drop garbage directly into it without having to open a cabinet door. I just use a bag for recyclables, and that's under the sink, too.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'd love to know if you're happy with your Full Flow filter? Thanks :)

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Feisty - I am *very* happy with the 3M full flow filter. I use the filtered cold water for washing fruits and veggies, and for stove-top water when needed. I highly recommend installing it. Plus, there is no unsightly water tap faucet for drinking water on the counter.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

FoxCrane, thank you for letting me know about your trash set up. I wonder if that would be good for me also. I would hate to lose a cabinet that I badly need as my kitchen is small.

Thank you FoxCrane for letting us know that you are happy with your 3M Full Flow Filter. I will look into this also.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback FoxCrane.

We always have turducken at Christmas - yum. So great to see your lovely kitchen in *use*!

• fourten1j
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's some spicy seafood and andouille sausage with squid ink pasta. Using the marble island to roll pasta was a dream!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

FoxCrane, your dinner sure looks delicious! So glad you are enjoying your gorgeous kitchen that is so usable and designed so well! I love everything about it. I love seafood!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen (and friends, lol)! Your meals looks wonderful! The L shape and island really improved the space.