Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Cabinet Hardware - Ring Pulls, How to Orient?

oldbat2be
10 years ago

This is for a built-in cabinet, on the other side of our pantry wall (we've taken advantage of a dead corner).

Now that I've finally selected hardware, I'm dithering on how to orient the pulls. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, oldbat2be.

Option 1: On raised panel, upper.

Option 2: At top, outer.

Option 3:
Centered vertically on panels:

Option 4:
Top edge, inner.

The ring pull is 2 1/4" and was purchased from Van Dyke's Restorers:

Comments (49)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

I'd put one in the middle of each panel. To my eye, two on each is too much.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Agree...one each, dead center of panel

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, but it seems a shame to cover the drawer box front. What kind of wood is that?

This post was edited by linelle on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 18:36

• enduring
    10 years ago

#1 looks right to me. The top drawer centered in the panel and the large drawers drop down the distance as in the narrow drawers from the top. All pulls the same distance from that top rail.

Thats how I'd do it :)

• Fori
    10 years ago

1., and exactly how Enduring described.

And yeah, how will you bring yourself to put holes in those? Don't you just want to pet them instead? Um, anyway, they're super nice.

• enduring
    10 years ago

fori, I know what you mean about the holes, but I think the pulls are beautiful. And when you come down to it, how can we even cut the board, or the tree for that matter. But we do, because we need to balance function with beauty :)

Edited to say:
    1) don't you dare put those pulls on the rails.
    2) gota love that floor!!!

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 20:01

• Fori
    10 years ago

Trees are ugly on the outside! :)

• enduring
    10 years ago

LOL!...
    ...No they aren't, they are wonderful, I love the bark and the limbs. Sometimes trees make me laugh.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You all are the best, thank you for the feedback and enthusiasm!

Catbuilder, ctycdym - you may be correct:

Option 5:

The drawers (and fronts) are walnut. A splurge, but I rather fell for mamadadapaige's drawers a while back and love these each time I open them.

Thanks enduring and fori. No pulls on rails, I promise!

So now, any additional thoughts between options one and five?

• enduring
    10 years ago

I don't like the ring on the center of the larger drawers, it just looks wrong, and weak on the larger drawers. I am going to do a search for a precedence.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Here is my search :) who new, you can put them where ever!

Here is a link that might be useful: images for drawers with ring pulls

• Fori
    10 years ago

Can you model option 5 with the lower pull up high like in option 1? We have to get this right! :)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I definitely like the first one best - it just looks right. Door and pulls are beautiful.

• enduring
    10 years ago

To me, if you go with one pull at the narrow drawer, the bottom larger drawer needs a more substantial pull if it is going to be a single. As Fori has mentioned, I too would like to see the single pull on the large drawer photoed higher up.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful wood & I love the pulls. I like the pulls in the middle. I prefer one pull. Two pulls in the middle looks good also but one seems to make a statement, in a good way.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 20:52

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Well, I have to say it (because I'm sure others are thinking it!), but options 1-4 look like nipples to me :)

And I also wondered why you're covering up those gorgeous drawer boxes.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Catbuilder, I think you may have eliminated all the two knob options. Too funny!

• enduring
    10 years ago

LOL, I think romy is right!

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Sorry, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw them! Well, the second thing. The first was how beautiful the drawer boxes are. I actually prefer them to the drawer fronts.

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

Not only do I prefer the look of the centered single pull, I much prefer the function. I also like the function of pulls when they are placed higher so there is less bending... maybe as in options 2/4?
    Gorgeous pulls!

• xc60
    10 years ago

I like #5 best and than #3.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Wow - ok. I hadn't even thought about nipples, but now that's all I see. Perhaps option 6 - which would be 5 only with the pull higher on the lower drawer as others have mentioned.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha catbuilder! The more I stared at these, the more I thought the same (or saw eyes). Number three is definitely out - that's the grandmotherly type with the major drooping action :)

Hopefully the drawer fronts will look as pretty on. My goal was to make this an attractive piece of furniture. Glides are Blum Blumotion, so motion will be smooth whether there is one pull or two.

Enduring, thanks for the link to the ring pull pictures. Most single are centered and somewhat oversized. Thanks also for the nice words for my floor - my first dark floor and I love the effect.

Thanks Fori, always scary to drill into something new. Huge thanks for helping me 'get it right!'

Thanks mgoblue and romy718. Good point sherri58. We won't be using these drawers on an hourly basis but still nicer to have the pulls higher up.

Here come options 6 and 7.

Option 6 - single pulls, lower positioned higher.

Option 7 - single pull on top, double on lower.

Surely I must be out of options at this point?

I do take the point about a larger pull on the lower, larger drawer. However, I'm trying to match a few things in the room and the current pulls work nicely.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Beautiful pulls! I'm 100% on board with option 5.

• katy-lou
    10 years ago

Option #6. And agree the walnut is gorgeous!!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I like either option #5 or #6. I love that wood. We splurged a bit getting cherry. Walnut was out of our budget.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Number 6. But keep shuffling through your pictures, I bet one pops out at you as "the one".

• romy718
    10 years ago

Still like option 5, love the floor too!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Catlover: I can't get over how beautiful those boxes are.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

linelle - thanks! I had DH put the drawer fronts on the drawers last night so I could temporarily affix the handles with double sided sticky tape and see the options in place.

Cabinet out:

Option 6: My favorite.

Option 1: (Color of wood is off here).

Thanks all - I've really appreciated the help.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Option 6 looks great! Floors, cabinet, paint color, white trim, all beautiful.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Looking great! Love the #6. I was afraid that the larger drawer would look too underserviced, visually, by the one ring pull, but I don't think that is an issue at all. I prefer the one ring on the smaller drawer.

And did I say, I love that floor ;)

• nyurcisin
    10 years ago

Oh, thank God... Reading through this whole thread to suggest/see option #6...it's perfect! Gorgeous wood :)

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

OK now that you have treated us to multiple pictures of that beautiful wood you have to give us the scoop on brand, type, and finish!

I agree with #6 also.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Yowzer! #6 looks perfect. Can you step back and give us a larger view, to see it in context? What's going into those drawers?

• marykh
    10 years ago

Seeing is believing. Number 6!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Lovely oldbat! The wood is gorgeous. I like #6. 2 pulls on each front is too busy. Reading thru the posts, I was wondering if your pulls have a size that's a little larger for the bottom fronts where you could put it in the middle & it not look so small & lost. But, in your pic #6, it looks fantastic. Definitely the way to go! Can't wait to see your final pictures!

Oh, & your floors are so beautiful too! And the little floor vent as well. Great detail.

• vpierce
    10 years ago

Another vote for #6....

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

OB, here is a pic of my file cabinet in my home office with ring pulls.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

A pic of the larger file drawers.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Nipples indeed, complete with nipple rings.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Number 6 it will be!

Thanks gpraceman, katy-lou, romy718, enduring, Nan57 and marykh, vickimp.

scrappy25 - RTA cabinet from Conestoga with walnut drawer boxes, face frame, and drawer fronts.

linelle - here you go. No pulls on this picture yet.

The room to the left is the mudroom. Not shown is the woodburning stove (we use this room a good deal in the colder months) and another sofa.

Thanks Bicyclegirl for noticing the details :)

Apologies to the forum for a non-kitchen post, but I needed pull advice so had to come back to the experts!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

holly-kay - those are lovely and no such thought crossed my mind!! Ooh I like those file drawers.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Did you buy the door fronts prefinished or did you stain/finish yourself? Just lovely!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I hope you don't mind a threadjack here, oldbat2be. I had been searching for ring pulls and saw this thread, and now with the addition of Holly-kay's lovely picture (reconfirming my opinion of her as the hardware goddess of GW) I think I just have to have them. Is this a mistake?
    I need a way to open the doors of my prep sink cabinet, and had hoped to avoid hardware altogether by having push latches installed. But my GC's carpenter was unable to make them work so I thought I could put ring pulls here and 1 1/2" looks like the right size. Anyone have alternatives to suggest? I just can't picture any more of my same handle, oriented in any way, looking less than cluttered here. Could I use a totally different style pull, maybe even in orb in this one area (an area few others see, as it is right in the cooking aisle)?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Thanks for the context shot, OB2B. Such a clever use of otherwise dead space.

I didn't even think of this post as being OT. We have kitchens in common, and what do you know? We also have the rest of our houses in common too.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't mind at all! Since we have a very similar layout, I know what you mean about this vertical surface not being visible from most of the room. I would suggest trying to avoid ring pulls here - dirty hands+ring pull... A simple knob would be fine, I think. The size you show looks good.

Have you thought about converting the cabinet to a pull out with Hafele food pedal(s)? Probably simpler to figure out WHY your GC's carpenter couldn't get the push latches to work. Suggest you start a thread for that one with pictures of the latch and cabinet interiors.

scrappy25 - I considered finishing the fronts myself but ended up getting them finished. There is no stain, this is the natural walnut color with a protective finish.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks linelle. Here's the actual dead corner :) The file cabinets have recessed pulls and the cabinet on the right will eventually hold laundry sorting bins. Another eventually - washer and drier added here.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Thanks oldbat2be, I agree I'll have to start another thread to resolve this. I don't really have to get into that cabinet much, the trash beside it is on the utrusta (blum servo drive) system and the undersink area just has supplies that don't fit under the main sink. So the dirty hands thing isn't a problem. But I agree that the push latches should work, and if ring pulls are aesthetically wrong here, I'll revisit those.