Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawh707

Kitchen Almost Done- Finally- Pix

kawh707
12 years ago

So much help here from so many. Thanks much. I read and read about all of your victories and regrets and tried to incorporate them into our plans. You kept me from making so many (more) mistakes!!

Here at last are some pictures. It all seems so simple after you're through, doesn't it?? Torn out walls and windows. Months of cooking in the bathroom. Choices, choices, choices. and budget. I am quite sure that our teeny-tiny budget was like none other... but gardenwebbers helped with that, too.

what we love--

-drawers and more drawers. i think there are 30 or more.

-low-divide sink (so great for pans and dishes never hit the middle on the way to rinse.)

-moen reflex faucet (returns like a dream)

-miles of fake corian (formica brand) counters-- surprised that we love this budget choice.)

-hidden junk area behind the refrigerator for daily mail and phone.

-opened up the kitchen to the dining area-- looks so much bigger and more light.

-one recycle and one garbage drawer-- with garbage right next to sink and a clean sweep off of the cutting board.

-tube solar light (poor man's sky lights) that keep us from needing to turn on the kitchen light much of the day.

we are really happy so far. however, let it be known that we are still cooking on a hotplate, as the dacor cooktop that was sent didn't work from day one. replacing it has been 2 months and they say there isn't one in the country to be had-- some hangup with the parts. will post about that when new one comes. (dacor doesn't seem to know the words 'i'm sorry' either... just venting.)

so thanks again-- and happy remodeling to all!

kawh sebastopol, california

VIEW FROM DINING AREA-- TEMP STOOLS

VIEW FROM DINING AREA #2

VIEW FROM DINING AREA #3

FROM KITCHEN TOWARD DINING AREA (USED TO BE A WALL THERE)

RUNNELS AND LOW-DIVIDE SINK

SO MANY DRAWERS THAT THERE'S ONE JUST FOR DOGGIE TREATS!

Comments (25)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

So lovely and light! Love the wall color. Could you please post all the nitty gritty details?

And a drawer just for pet snacks?? You lucky dog. ;)

Thank you for sharing with us!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Oooh, I love all the glass cabinets atop your pantry wall -- beautiful! Great job; enyoy your new kitchen!! (and I hope you'll be cooking on a real rangetop soon)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I too love the glass cabinets atop your tall pantry wall and you have so much counter space. Functional and pretty - two great hallmarks of a great kitchen. Well done.

• tea4all
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen!! It would be heaven to have so many drawers and tons of counter space. It is so light and inviting. I love that wall color too. What is it called?

• jeanz
    12 years ago

VERY PRETTY! Congratulations!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Great job! Sorry about that cooktop!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Nice and bright! Good luck with the cooktop.

• User
    12 years ago

bl said it all...FUNctional and pretty ! I love all the drawers and the light !! The glass cabs up top were inspired. Great job ! c

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Can you tell me more about the tube solar light. Where is it in your kitchen? I've heard they are great. Nice bright kitchen, great features. Enjoy!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Nice job! You maximized your storage opportunities, yet made your kitchen open and light. I like the wonderful windows above your sink.

Did you do Solatube? How difficult/expensive was that? I have thought about one for my bathroom.

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Nice job on your kitchen! I'm sorry to hear about your cook top.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If it makes you feel better, I am still cooking on asingle burner since 12/5/10 and I bet yours will be installed and hooked up before mine too!
    Frankly, you had me with opening the wall and opening upthe views....
    I love the softness of your kitchen and how pleasant it looks.
    We love our solatube in our master bathroom, but it is a bit much first thing in the a.m.. We had no idea it would be so bright while facing north. We'd still get it, but wish we had a few more scattered about our living spaces ;)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

On solatubes: our neighbors have a hallway back to the bedrooms that was so dark you had to turn on a light in the middle of the day to make your way down it. They put in a solatube and voila! Now it's like daylight central. Such a good move for that dark space.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

breezygirl-- the cabinets are from Lowes and the (cotati) store up here has the absolute most patient cabinet designer in the world. they are kraftmaid and they are in the color canvas. (some doors still need to be replaced... they are all supposed to be flat front.)

the paint color is BM Tranquility. it looks pretty awful on the paint chip, in my opinion, but is truly tranquil on the walls. we are really happy with it. i call it green-gray, hubbie calles it blue-gray... so it's really an in-between color, i guess.

dilly ny -- the solar tube can be purchased at most home improvement stores. it is the larger of the lights (amongst recessed lights) in the first picture. it lets in so much light that we were told not to get the larger size, as it can get too warm when standing under it for long periods of time on a v. sunny day.(not sure this is the case...) you can also put a light inside of it-- so that it functions as a light by day (sun) and at night (switched bulb). they are around $100 or so-- and only took our contractor a couple of hours to install. (hole in ceiling, hole in roof and super-shiny reflective between.)

• atd_oc
    12 years ago

The paint color fits the mood, it is very tranquil & looks a little more blue than gray to me.
    I have not heard of a solar tube but on a 2 story house I guess it wouldn't matter.
    You have certainly maximized your space and I am sure you don't miss the wall between the dining area and the kitchen. It sure opens it up. Do you have before photos?

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love all the light you have, all the drawers (especially the one for doggie treats!), your special solar tube light (if I was not in a townhouse I think I would do that!), and your description of that two trashcan drawer is what I want. Thanks for sharing such a happy pretty kitchen. Wish I had room for all those drawers but at least I know when I do my upgrade, I do want more drawers.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Hi, thanks dianalo & kawh. I had done some reading on them in the past, and some customers (including, I think readers on Gardenweb) said the construction of them was poor. It sounds like your experience is much more positive.

• SusieQusie60
    12 years ago

Kawh - gonna make myself late for work if I don't get off of this laptop! Love the kitchen - the glass front cabs, the beautiful sink, the dog treat drawer!!

I'm gonna come back later to really look again. Just wanted to say "hey."

SQ

• Linda
    12 years ago

Love it and love all your drawers! Certainly doesn't look like a "budget" remodel to me! Could you show a pic of the "hidden junk area behind the refrigerator for daily mail and phone" (that's a real problem for us). I didn't know you could do the grooved drainboard with Formica -- are you enjoying that? So many great ideas -- thanks for sharing and enjoy!

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

What a great kitchen. I envy you the storage wall opposite the windows. Smart to use glass fronts there that reflect light from the windows. And all those drawers! I don't think anyone can have too many, but you MIGHT have almost enough :-).

What is behind the doors in the storage wall? Looks like a great place for appliances that can be used in place--kind of appliance garage use. And you have plenty of counterspace as well.

Must be a wonderful kitchen to work in.

• pamike1
    12 years ago

I can see why your happy with your new kitchen! It's a beautiful, light, airy space...lets that the sunshine in. With so many cabinets to keep oneself organized, its a dreamy, functional space. Hope your cooktop is up and working soon (shame on you, dacor)

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

colorfast--quick response then will post pic of the phone area later. 10 years ago, solar tubes were pretty tacky looking. now they look pretty much like regular recessed lighting with a flat face. can also buy designer fronts, i think. we also have one in the hallway and adore it. only turn on the light after nightfall now.

dianalo-- omg!! seriously??? almost a year???? love to hear that absurd story!!!!
    kawh

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kawh. That sounds like a great option for us. Do you know how long the tubes can be?

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

colorfast-- i think they go to about 14 or 16 feet-- but you can look it up easily.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    12 years ago

just a quick catch-up on our cooktop. dacor finally, finally came through. we had to wait about 11 weeks for the replacement cooktop to come in. never apologies (except from the very nice local repair company who seemed shocked at the amount of time we had to wait.) i absolutely love the cooktop-- but would never, ever buy from them again. we wanted to buy california/u.s. made when possible-- who knew they simply would have no replacements anywhere when the first one was faulty. will share in the appliance section one day-- but wanted to catch up here.
    -kawh

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!