Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More than one island design query

Posted by czecheart (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 17:51

With everyone wanting to open up their kitchens by recreating and recycling adjoining spaces I'm sure I am not the first one with this question...if designing a kitchen with more than one island, how important is it that the islands line up with each other? How does one go about centering them? I'm trying to redesign a new kitchen space so to accomodate two islands, a Prep island and a Serving/buffet island. It is an L shaped kitchen.

The Prep island would be centered between the cabinets/counter and the opposite wall having no counter or cabinets.

Extending beyond that area, I would hope to have a Serving/buffet island, ( no counters or cabinets ), but the basement door wall (not movable) juts into the space so the Serving/buffet island will be placed staggered over from the Prep island.

Each would be 42" by 60".

Basically are there rules on how they should be aligned with the room and/or each other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More than one island design query

Well, I was hoping you would get some responses by now. We also have 2 islands and love the design. Like yours, one is a prep island, and the other a saving/buffet island. They are not exactly the same size....the buffet island is a barrier between the kitchen and the great room. It is a bit smaller than the prep island. They line up on one side, but not on the other. Also, the prep island is a rectangle, but the serving island is curved on the outside, so they are different in appearances. It looks good this way and is cohesive.

o

Thanks for your answer ! I'd love to see your islands. Your situation sounds like mine. The serving island would be between the kitchen and great room/family room. Planning on converting that room to a dining/family area, farmhouse seating along fireplace. All these rooms tend to be on the long and narrow side.

Your situation is similiar also because only one side of the islands would line up. I read your response to my DH and he like your idea of curving the corners on the buffet island. I'll try putting that design on paper. Great, thanks again.

o

You could look on Houzz for double island kitchens. Here's a kitchen that has 2 very different, but lovely islands and a description of how they're used.

Here is a link that might be useful: bjwright1's kitchen w/ 2 islands

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here