Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inflictionmitch

Adding a SS fridge in a kitchen with black appliances/countertops

inflictionmitch
9 years ago

So, as those who have been following my plight in my postings here know, my ancient Amana side by side fridge has died and I'm about to replace. To my horror, few companies manufacture quality black counter-depth fridges these days, so I'm likely stuck going with stainless.

I know that SS and black can usually work together, but in this case, the black aesthetic really is consistent in the kitchen, and I worry it may look a little frankenstein-y in the end. Attaching a shot of the kitchen to give a sense of it's look. What does Team GardenWeb think about this? Could a large (36-inch wide, FD design) SS fridge look okay in this room?

Comments (19)

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apologies for the pic appearing upside-down. The file isn't oriented this way and I'm not sure why it's displaying like this here.

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Are your photos from an Apple item ?
    And more important what is above the fridg ????

This post was edited by forboystoo on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 17:58

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are indeed from Apple software. Is that a known glitch?

As for what's above the fridge, it's a replica of a prop from a mid '70s Larry Cohen film, IT'S ALIVE. I prob should have cropped that for the sake of this board posting, lol.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I must not be understanding the criteria. I found quite a few black 36" wide counter depth refrigerators, both FD and side by side. Below is a cursory search of A. J. Madison.

Here is a link that might be useful: A. J. Madison search

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, BB. I'm having a hard time full visualizing it, but I'm reasonably confidant that SS will be ok.

I did find some black options, I probably should have clarified, only they tended to not be especially well-reviewed units For whatever reason, the top reviewed FD fridges only appear to be available in SS at the moment. I briefly considered a black KitchenAid or Jenn-Air (both essentially Whirlpool units, these days), but the reviews scared me off.

I'm being offered an incredible price on a top-of-the-line Samsung that I'm strongly considering going for. This is the unit in question - http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF23HTEDBSR/AA.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

You do like black things. Better stick with it. SS may also create future grumbles.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I think SS fridge would look fine with all the other appliances being black.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Our refrigerator and dishwasher died a few months before we were ready to start our kitchen update so we replaced them with stainless before installing the rest of the appliances. The stainless wall oven and range won't go in until the cabinets are painted with new doors and the new soapstone counters are in, which will be after the holidays{{gwi:9241}}.

So, we're living with a mixture of black and SS in the meantime. These pictures might help you visualize the look. I'm not a fan but I'm a bit OCD about matching. Also, there's no black on my stainless appliances at all and that might make a difference. I also don't like how stainless looks with the oak cabinets but those will be off white soon.

I do like the stainless CD refrigerator much more than the black full size that I had - it works better with my slate floor and makes the kitchen seem much more open.

I'm not sure but think my Kitchenaid french door refrigerator is offered in black.

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 19:10

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for that! Kitchen Aid do make a counter-depth french door in black that looks very much like yours, so it may be the same model. When I played with it in a showroom, I was disturbed to find that the right door didn't seal several times, and also that whenever I'd close the left door, the right door would bounce open and then shut again. Has your unit shown these kinds of issues?

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

No, I haven't had those issues. I really like this refrigerator. I was worried about going counter depth and also having the water dispenser inside but these turned out to be non-issues. Actually, I feel like I have more refrigerator space with the French door instead of side by side and the water is colder now than when we had it on the door.

We have the 36 X 72.

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very happy to hear that! The unit I was looking at was 36x either 69 or 70, so not the same model, but likely the same design / quality. I also prefer the clean looks of having the water / ice being interior as opposed to in-door How long have you had yours for? Also, how have you found it to be in the noise dept?

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

Honestly, I'd either switch all your appliances to stainless or find a black fridge. I"m not crazy about mismatched appliances.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

How about a panel ready refer?
    ...win win :) Chris

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 20:49

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I think a stainless fridge will look just fine. I prefer stainless over black.

As for mismatched appliances, I have all stainless except for a white stove. It bothers me not that they don't match.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

We've had it installed just over a month. I haven't noticed that it's noisy at all, but I am comparing it to my prior 15 year old Kitchenaid.

I actually read good things about the Kitchenaid refrigerators and dishwashers, and didn't have any issues with my old ones until the last year or so. I did purchase the extended warranty for the new oven/micro though just in case, particularly since we were waiting to install.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

hey.. isnt his the JB kitchen ...lol ... but now i see jack ... [this was the cabinet over the fridge problem/???? yes????]

listen.. whats your long term goal ...

mine was SS ... and unlike most peeps here ... i have a budget ...

so ... as things broke down.. and needed to be replaced.. it was done SS ...

first came the gas stove in SS ... when i moved in ....

then.. a few years later.. the dishwasher took a carp.. and along came a SS DishW ...

finally .. the bachelor 14 sq foot 25 year old fridge couldnt keep up with a family of 4 ... and along came the SS fridge ..

otherwise... gut the whole thing.. and lets go for it all ...

all said.. it took me about 10 years to go SS ... patience??? .. i dont know.. i dont measure my life.. by matching appliances .... but i got what i want ...

BTW .. i like your kitchen.. the SS will look good with the wood and the black counter tops ... go for it ....

ken

• Fori
    9 years ago

I don't mind mismatched appliances...usually.

You need black.

• inflictionmitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, that is indeed me. :) I'm finally going to be having my cabinetry modified to allow for a taller fridge to be slid in.

I'm actually not looking to gradually convert my appliances to Stainless. I'd definitely prefer to keep them all or mostly all black. SS often does combine well with black, though, and going Stainless opens up a lot of really good fridge options.

Fori, why do you feel this instance absolutely requires black with no mismatching?

This post was edited by MitchD on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 0:42

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor