Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cabinet pulls - is mixing finishes a no-no?

Posted by carolml (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 17:42

My cabinets are currently being installed and I still have not chosen the pulls. There are two different woods involved, both simple slab doors: rift cut oak on the perimeter and engineered teak veneer on the two islands. The teak has dark lines running through it and looks fantastic with the ORB finishes but they seem dark for the oak. Would it look dumb to put the same pulls but with two different finishes, ie brushed nickel on the oak and oil rubbed bronze on the teak?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cabinet pulls - is mixing finishes a no-no?

I wouldn't but that is just my opinion. I think you can put two different metals in your kitchen but don't use identical pulls. Use pulls that are complimentary to one another but in the different metals. Think of it as wearing two necklaces - one in silver and one in gold - you wouldn't wear the exact same necklaces but rather ones that are complementary- different lengths, different pattern.

You could do pulls and knobs, or ORB and glass.

What are your appliancss and light fixtures? Three metals might, depending on the rest of your kitchen details, start to get a little much.

o
RE: cabinet pulls - is mixing finishes a no-no?

My dishwasher and fridge will both be panelled in the white oak so the only metal seen will be the stainless steel of the hood fan (it is one of the glass and stainless models), brushed metal of the faucets and the stainless of the gaggenau ovens (stainless covered in glass). The sinks are silgranite in biscotti colour. Attached is a picture of four of the handles I've been looking at, they all come in both finishes. The top two are the same, different sizes, different finishes. I take your point about necklaces, but as I tend to like things rather plain and simple, I worry that different styles mixed around would look busy. (I would seldom wear a silver and gold necklace at the same time!) I also worry that two different colours would look busy, I just like the dark with the teak.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t368/carolmack/P1010945.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here