Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melkel97

help! what's the best way to clean porcelain wood look flooring?

Melkel97
9 years ago

So we just recently finished our kitchen and flooring remodel and we ended up going with a porcelain wood look flooring. LOVE it btw! ;) I was hoping someone could recommend a cleaner or method of cleaning for this type of flooring. The flooring is textured too to add to the wood look) I am attaching a pic. thanks so much for looking! :)

Comments (38)

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Do you have other tile floors? I clean all my floors with a steam mop.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have no idea, I would clean like any other tile floor.

But I did want to say your floor is very pretty! Can you share the brand and color info?

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Steam mop

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I have similar tile. I use a steam mop. I also sometimes do a traditional wet mopping using standard cleaning product (mr clean?) diluted in hot water. It's very easy to maintain.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I use the same thing on all my tile floors (I have a lot of tile, I live in Florida.)

I have hardwood and wood looking tile. I have two Roombas which I let loose about 2x a week and mop the floors with Mr. Clean with Febreeze, I like the smell and it leaves the floors shiny and clean.

I use microfiber type mops which I feel cleans better without leaving the floors too wet.

Jane

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Roomba. Occasional damp mopping.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I have porcelain wood tiles floors also and I purchased a product on Amazon call Super Shine All. It works and smells great and the smell is not overpowering. A little goes a long way. Best part is that it doesn't have to be rinsed.

Here is a link that might be useful: SuperShineAll

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

Bona stone, tile & laminate floor cleaner....

• plumberry
    9 years ago

another vote for super shine all. a tile expert recommended it to me and it is the best thing I have found. strangely you use cold water instead of hot so I mop with hot water only first and then do a cold wash with the super shine all. we have similar tile in a darker color in our master bath. love. good luck.

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

When I had tile I loved my Hoover Floormate. It washes & scrubs, then sucks up the dirty water and squeegees so the floor is pretty much dry.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I have this type of flooring in my family room and halls to the bedrooms. I love it, too! We'll be using it in our MBR and BA.

I vacuum daily, if motivated, or every other day because of shedding, hairy beasts.

Then, I use the string mop grubby posted for once a week mopping with vinegar and water. That mop is the best thing for corners.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Grout is on the alkaline side .Vinegar can break it down over time. Avoid using it. You want something pH neutral, to alkaline to clean with. Vacuuming is ideal for frequent cleaning. Spot damp mop for spills. Occasional damp mopping the whole floor with a good stone cleaner (usually pH neutral) will work. Avoid anything that leaves a residue. It will attract and hold onto dirt .

• salonv
    9 years ago

I have a textured wood look porcelain in my powder room ( a darker "finish" than yours) and I have been using my shark steam mop on it and been pleased with the results.

• lisainokla
    9 years ago

hello everyone, I am a lurker . been lurking for several years. but couldn't pass up giving my two cents worth on this question.. I own a cleaning service, and thru my experience with dark wood tile flooring, the only way to keep it from looking hazy or keep streaks away is to steam mop. use nothing but water. I've tried putting in a tad of vinegar and it still comes out streaky or hazy. . just my tcw

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I have porcelin wood tiles for 15 years now. I was told to use clear (not sudsy) ammonia. and, have been using it ever since it was installed.

• Melkel97
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wow! thanks everyone for so many thoughtful comments! I am going to look into these products! ? about the "super shine" from Amazon, Does it make the floors shiny? OUrs are not shiny on purpose ;) they are very rustic looking I don't want them to look shiny so just wondering if the product is true to it's name :) ?

• Jancy
    9 years ago

The supershine all doesn't make them shiny. My floors aren't shiny either so no added shine with this product. My tiles look exactly like they did when installed.

• otterkill
    9 years ago

I use Fabuloso Oxy. It cleans great, smells great and is inexpensive. It comes in many "flavors", but I like the Oxy the best. You can also find it at the dollar store. But be careful if you have small children. Some of the colors look like fruit drinks. So I would definitely be careful where I store it.

• otterkill
    9 years ago

Just a follow up....I have wood look porcelain and the "wood grain" can hold dirt. So every other or third mop (I have a Vildeda pad and bucket) I use a stiff brush on a mop pole. Try to avoid the grout lines and lightly scrub away!

• Albina Mutale
    8 years ago

What would cause these type of tiles to fade?

• ritab623
    7 years ago

My floors don't come clean with my Shark. It always leaves it streaky. Any suggestions.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

What kind of water are you using? Distilled should not leave any mineral traces behind. I use my steam mop with excellent results, dry immediately. Never anything but water in the shark. If wet mopping I was told by the tile store use water with a splash of vinegar, that leaves it squeaky clean.

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Twenty-five years ago we laid our first tile floor in entry and hallway. Traditional 8 inch tile with the wider grout lines used then. The advice we were given was to simply vacuum or sweep and damp mop with plain water. Never used cleaners except enzyme cleaner a couple of times for puppy accidents which we wiped up right away and rinsed away with clean water. Our tile still looks great and so does the grout. No sealers.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

Tile store guy told me vinegar and hot water. That easy.

• drjsdhami
    7 years ago

Use a mop bucket

• Julie C
    7 years ago

beautiful flooring. do you mind sharing what brand/color your wood tile is?

• boydst6
    7 years ago

I also have the wood look tile. I have the dark brown traditional look. I love the tile and i am happy with the chioce. I get lots of compliments from guest. The down fall is the tile really shows dirt and has to be vacummed daily if not every other day. For cleaning i just use a traditional string mop and then i go over it with the Murphys Oil Soap. It puts a light shine to it and it smells great.

• Marcia Rosen
    6 years ago

I have similar light wood-look porcelain flooring with darker grain, installed about a month ago. It has spots, like water spots, and smudged areas that don't come off. Possibly from the installation? Any advice on how to get those off? I've been using a microfiber mop which makes the floor look good until I view it in the light or on an angle, and then all the marks are visible.

• lesleyichanin
    6 years ago

I have the same issue with my light wood look ceramic tile. I’ve had it about six months and I’ve noticed blotches especially in high traffic areas. I feel like the grain in the tile is holding dirt. I’ve tried steam cleaning and different types of mobs and cleaners and it doesn’t go away. Anyone have any suggestions.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Another vote for steam mop with water only, and vacuum in between times.

Lesleychanin, my steam mop comes apart and there are special tools for using it as a hand steamer, including a pretty strong scrubber that I use for grout in the kitchen and things like that.

• maria Sferrazza
    6 years ago

Put in a new wood like porcelain tiles from Cancos in September. Love the look and color but it has a haze when daylight shines on certain spots of the floor. Its driving me crazy!!!!!!!! I've tried lots of cleaners and cleaning methods.... Bona, vinegar and water, mr. clean, steam mop, microfiber and bissell crossover. Please help!!!! Would like to hear if anyone has come across this problem and any solutions would be greatly appreciated!

• Barbara McCollum
    5 years ago

I have the same problem with the "haze", I also have a large dog who dribbles water after drinking, now I have a pool too (I wish I put in a textured tile). Anyway, I have experimented with just about everything mentioned above. The best thing I have found to work well is adding dishwasher rinse agent to my mop bucket with just water. Floors look amazing and there is no sticky residue left from cleaning chemicals.

• shascup
    5 years ago

My wood look tile is holding on to pet smells

• Laurie A
    5 years ago

maria Sferrazza Same here. I have newly installed porcelain dark wood grain, also from Cancos. I was just looking on their website and apparently they sell their own brand of tile cleaner. I am going to drop by their when I'm in the area and inquire about this product. I will let you know how I make out. Driving me crazy also.

• Meredith Avila
    2 years ago

Has anyone tried to have their wood look porcelain tiles professionally steam cleaned? That’s my next step but I’m worried the heat will be too much.

• clt3
    2 years ago

Porcelain tile is fired at a higher temperature than ceramic tile. I doubt very much that steam cleaning will damage it.

• jessica melgares
    9 months ago

3 years later and I hate my floors, they are hard to main I scrub and the dirt stains are hard to come off 😔

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks