Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwent_gw

Photo reveal of Arts& Crafts 1917 house kitchen

gwent
15 years ago

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn65/campstamp/Kitchen%20reveal/

Backstory: A long-planned house renovation of DHÂs grandparents house on lake which is now our "forever" house. Built in 1917 the new kitchen is in the former dark n gloomy dining room/pantry area.

Inspiration: This songbird tile from Motawi Tileworks in Michigan was my talisman and I carried this tile, a camera and tape measure with me for a year. ItÂs colors led the way.

Our goal: to create a welcoming kitchen focused on the water view and to highlight the houseÂs main feature: the original cypress ceilings and fir flooring.

What I learned: to trust my gut (I already have a list of "wish I had") and how easy it is to get caught up in it and lose perspective. That I didnÂt need every bell and whistle.

The details:

Cabinets: Richmaid/ Pinnacle Gold line, Patriot door in "silent yellow" with light glaze. We didnÂt want soft close but accidently got a few by mistake (no charge)

Counter: Cambria -Kensington . My original fantasy was soapstone.

Sink: Ticor (thanks GW for that tip) Faucet: Mid-range Kohler in chrome.

Appliances: Researched here on GW and went with mid-priced items from local family owned store. Nothing too pricey except refrigerator (SS)

Stove top: recycled from old kitchen

DW: KA

Wall oven and microwave: GE conventional

Refrigerator: CD FD SS Jenaire (see how much lingo I learned on GW!)

Stained glass window reclaimed from an old house.

Wall color: BM Dorset Gold. Bathroom in rear is BM Autumn Cover and adjacent rooms are BM Philadelphia crème.

Backsplash: Much time spent on this and not quite there yet. Coverplates are temporary.

Recycled cypress wood from the house finished with val oil; 2 Motawi tiles from their songbird series and pale yellow bargain grade field tile over the stovetop.

Pumpkin produce advertisement tin to be mounted somehow above stovetop.

Lighting: All cans in ceiling;

Under cabinet lighting TBD

Wired for above cabinet lighting but donÂt think we will do it after all.

Light over kitchen/dining table TBD. Have looked at a zillion options but donÂt want to block the water view at allÂ

To do: wall running along wall TBD. Corner will be kitchen central, phone, bulletin board area etc.

Funny story!! The old cabinet in photo is from the cellar where it had been a work bench. Turns out to be a cabinet from the kitchen they updated in 1938.

DH thinks IÂm crazy but I love it and the price was right.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for many things including this kitchenÂ

Comments (23)

• elvisandcallie
    15 years ago

Very Beautiful. Here's 1 of your pics and a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Album

• nauset
    15 years ago

Love it! What a view you have!! You hood over the stovetop is beautiful and the tile looks perfect.
    Could you share where you got your stool? how high is it from the bottom to top? I am loking for low back counter stools.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Really nice job! The staggered cabinets look great. I love the way you incorporated the open shelving and glass door cabinets. Really opens the space up. What a great house to live in. Enjoy!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Gorgeous. I can see why you carried that tile around. Love the ceiling. What's your ceiling height?

• lyno
    15 years ago

When you said "...This songbird tile from Motawi Tileworks..." I immediately went to your photos. I love those tiles and have them on my wish list! Don't they just speak to you! They look great in your beautiful kitchen. You indeed created a warm inviting kitchen. (I do hope that you won't be upset if I end up using the Songbird tiles, too, that is if DH and I ever get going on our build.)

What a wonderful place to live! Your view is spectacular, your kitchen and your house is beautiful.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. I have a weakness for cream and white kithens! And your ceiling is spectacular. Do you have a close up shot of your cabinetry hardware? It looks similar to what I've chosen for my kitchen. You do have a great kitchen to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

• minette99
    15 years ago

Stunning! Jaw Droppingly Beautiful! I love Arts & Crafts homes and this is such a treat! LOVE your ceiling! Gorgeous cabinets, island, everything. It works so beautifully together. Love this! :)

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

WOW!

Love that ceiling, and everything else!

Anita

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I would say - "Goal achieved!"

I was expecting a dark kitchen, the creamy cupboards are the perfect foil to the ceiling and the floor! I love the Songbird series too- have even bid on it on ebay, but haven't won one yet.

Hope you enjoy your kitchen!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

It is gorgeous! What beautiful cabs, ceiling and counters. You should be proud. Looks beautiful!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! We moved from what we thought was our new forever house, on a beautiful lake, and although I'm happy to be where we are, I miss it every day. Your beautiful view evoked memories for me. Blessings, and i hope you enjoy every minute there!

I love that you saved that cabinet! And I love the open combined with doors look. Just lovely! Congratulations on a job well done.

Arlene

• gwent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. I can't seem to do photobucket properly to include a better photo but here is another view.
    The dark brown outlet covers are temporary just to get electrical permited. Will switch out later.
    To answer your questions:
    ceilings are about 8 feet high.
    the stool is ancient and came from some bargain outlet as I recall.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen - and everything I saw in the pics you posted. We completed building on what we hope will be our "forever home" on a lake about this time last year. Moving there full time is contingent on finances, and it's looking like it won't be soon, but we spend as much time there as we can.

You did a wonderful job executing your vision. I love the tiles and the stained glass window. Beautiful! Enjoy!

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Appealing, grounded, well designed, just a little quirky, easy on the eyes, timeless, comfortable, great! (Kind of like DW...hee hee)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I too, was expecting dark wood and mission style. Really like what you've done. It has a definite Art's and Craft style, but the creamy glazed cabinets adds another dimension. Just beautiful.

• janefan
    15 years ago

I love it! Those ceilings-wow! Also love the cabinet by the stairs...everything is charming!

• alice462
    15 years ago

I am cleaning the drool off my keyboard -- what a stunning home you have created! As I oogled, it is so clear that you treasured the origins and bones of this house and found ways to highlight that, while updating it with the utmost sense of taste and style. I believe your DH's grandparents would be very proud! That view is breathtaking -- I, too think it might be hard to hang anything over that table. Wow -- what a treasure you have, enjoy!

Alice

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

What a classic, lovely lake house! i love that you had the talisman to inspire you! You did a very nice job with the colors.

When you say your "forever house", do you mean you live there full-time?

Enjoy!

• gwent
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eggandart,
    By "forever" I mean it's a family homestead in the family for generations and we didn't do things w/ resale in mind.
    We have lived there seasonally for 20 years and are moving there fulltime as soon as we sell our little house in suburbia.

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

How wonderful!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Would it be rude of me to say I want to lick your ceiling :oP It's soooo gorgeous, rich and lucious with those wonderful soft colored cabinets. We're looking to buy a 1914 home some day....your kitchen is a great example to save :)

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

What a classic, lovely lake house! i love that you had the talisman to inspire you! You did a very nice job with the colors.

When you say your "forever house", do you mean you live there full-time?

Enjoy!

• rosie
    15 years ago

It's absolutely wonderful and perfect for Thanksgivings of all varieties. Happy Holidays!