Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htracey_gw

Black or white range with carrara countertops and grey cabs

htracey
12 years ago

We are doing slate floors, carrara countertops, grey cabinets (thats up for debate, hubby wants green). Our walls are a warm yellow. Our fridge and dishwasher are stainless, but after having them for a couple months, I'm really not crazy about the stainless. I'm looking at both a royal onofri and a bertazzoni range. I like the black and the white, but I cant decide whether the white or the black would suit the room best. I'm leaning toward white, hubby is leaning toward black...

Thoughts?

Comments (22)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Aren't you doing vintage with that Signature hardware sink? What time period are you sorta inspired by?

19th century: Black. 20th century: White.

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do have a vintage style with a signature hardware sink. Our home is early 20th century, and I personally am drawn to '20s styles. I would LOVE to have an actual vintage stove, but canadian gas regulations wont allow it (thats a whole other rant of a thread).

I think the royal chiantishire in white will suit the house best. It sounds like you agree marcolo!

Thanks!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Love the look of that range. I cannot wait to see your kitchen. Isn't there also a creamier color? Might want to see if you can get a "chip."

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago

Yeah, does the Chiantishire even come in white? We got a set of chips and eventually chose the burgundy, but we were considering the cream--it's very pretty--but anyway, there was no white chip. The cream was the closest color to white.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I would get one in a color you love. I would chose black over white if the undertones of the house is tending to warmer colors. The white can create a very harsh/cold/sterile feel depending on the undertone of the white. I actually think white is one of the hardest colors to work with. Alot of greys have blue undertones. If the white is harsh, it may make the room feel too cold. Not only that, the yellow/cream of the walls have to complement the greys and the undertones of the white.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

Are your counters in yet, or do you have a sample of the actual slab? I have carrara counters and it's surprising how WEIRD some whites look with it. I would definitely look at an actual sample of the stove enamel next to an actual sample of the marble before deciding on white...

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

I have an absolute obsession with white Bertazzoni ranges. If the white goes with your marble it'd be gorgeous. I once clipped a picture of a white Bertazzoni from this forum but must have deleted it. A google search of Bertazzoni and Gardenweb might find it.

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good point about how the white of the marble would look with the white of the range. I actually THINK I have seen the fratelli onofri in white and cream... I really like the cream actually. I didn't realize we could get chips (we don't live near any dealers, we'd have to order it online). I wonder if I can get chips online...

I think we are going to get the range last, after everything else is in place. That way I can order some chips and mull over the colors a little...

• jlcorpus
    12 years ago

I like the white oven better. Sounds like it would be better suited to the style of your home/ decorating. Also, I just don't see black with the warm yellow walls you have described- it might be a bit like a bumble bee???
    (This comment was made to my dd in dance class when she chose to wear a yellow tank with black shorts- she was referred to as the bumble bee).

I would also add that I have white appliances, a lot of grey in my granite, and some yellow accents and they really compliment each other.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have white, stainless and black appliances, so I am not terribly biased, lol...
    I'd picture the white first. We have a white marble counter in our bathroom with a pure white vanity and it looks nice.
    Our vintage stove is white with chrome and it looks great with our Corian Rain Cloud counters, even though their white base is not as pure a white. Our cabs' white is halfway between the stove (bright) and the counters (darker) and it all blends well.
    Of course, the black will always work, but I'd make sure to add a second real black element in the kitchen, even if it is part of a fabric pattern or set of canisters. It helps to have a buddy for any color you introduce. The slate floors will be dark, but not a full on black.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Maybe this will help a little. It was as close as I could find:

kitchens - green kitchen cabinets marble countertops white kitchen... (clipped to polyvore.com)

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To throw a wrench into the discussion, theres been a change of plans. Hubby and I got talking last night, and we agreed on a cabinet color - not grey, not green but blue. It was spurred by this image from houzz.com:

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by new york kitchen and bath Susan Serra, CKD

This solved hubby's anxiety about grey cabs (which I never understood), and my anxiety about mixing the warm walls (and original redwood trim I found under layers and layers of chipped white paint) with the cool grey cabs and cool carrara. I love how the blue works with the warm wood as well as the carrara. I'm excitied about it!

The photo of the black la cornue with black hood in the white kitchen that remodelfla posted made me stop and say "WOW!" outloud. I wonder if that was because of the contrast, or if that was just because La Cornue ranges steal my heart everytime I see them! They remind me if an antique locomotive... unfortunately out of my price range though.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

The blue will be gorgeous! Knowing that, I am going to vote for the white range. It'll really make the blue POP and visa versa. I can't wait to see your space come together

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This photo from houzz might give you a good idea for color:

[contemporary laundry room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-laundry-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_753~s_2103)

The walls in my kitchen are a deep golden yellow. Not quite was brown as this photo, but much more golden then alot of typical kitchen yellows. I LOVE the color. If I had to change it I guess I could move it to another room, but I would like to keep it.

I'm still thinking white it my best bet.... hubby is still thinking black. I'll work on him..

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sheesh I am going houzz crazy! Found this pic (not a kitchen, but the colors are dead on!):

[modern entry design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2105) by san francisco architect Cary Bernstein Architect

The yellow in the painting is exactly the color of my walls. Notice how they happen to use both white AND black in there.... not helping me!

On another note, the original plan for light grey cabs stemmed from a desire to keep the kitchen bright. We havr since decided to add more windows to incorporate more natural light. Does all this feel like its going to be to dark? We could go with a brighter blue to lighten it up...

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just layed down the law... white it is.

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I'll dissent: I think black is the way to go, esp. for a range. B-u-t, that's my mind's eye seeing your kitchen ....

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can picture either, which is make this so hard. I can picture black as well and I think it would look nice, I am just worried about the kitchen being to dark (despite the new windows). Black does appeal to my pocketbook though (AJMadison has a black fratelli onofri for $2500. Thats $1000 less then any white Bertazzonis I could find (and I couldn't find any white Fratelli Onofri ranges).

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Sorry, to me that black range says either, "I'm in France" or "It's 1890." Is that what you want to say?

• jlcorpus
    12 years ago

Love your choices!! Blue looks great with yellow and I think the white stove will look great with these colors and the marble. You can always try a few black accesories or accents to keep your husband happy.

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

I've attached photos of a friends blue kitchen. The upper and lower cabinets are slightly different shades of blue with a little purple in them I think. Soapstone counters and a cream AGA. But this might be a little more casual than you're going for? FWIW I love, love, love blue cabinets and think it'a a great choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue kitchen

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good visual Lisa. I love how those blue cabs look with the cream AGA