Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheloveslayouts

Barker Cabinet Review

sheloveslayouts
9 years ago

I just stumbled upon an Architect's blog and his fairly detailed review of Barker ready to assemble (RTA) cabinets. I thought it was good information so I'm linking to it below in case it's helpful to others...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Ordinary House Blog, Barker Cabinets

Comments (24)

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link. I am seriously considering using RTA cabinets. I want a custom paint color to match my existing trim and it requires either RTA or getting a custom cabinet shop.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Thank you for this! I do think I will be using Barker.

• amykath
    9 years ago

We are ordering Barker for our new build. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this!

• kirstyeg
    8 years ago

Thank you for the link! The idea of RTA is growing on me.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

I remember reading this article when I was doing my research. I ended up going with Scherr's. Now that I have assembled the Scherr's cabinets, I can see where the differences were in assembly between the two companies. The biggest difference is Scherr's uses a pre-glued dowel prior to screwing the conformat screws. You squirt the dowel with a spray bottle filled with water. It doesn't look like Barkers' uses the dowel. I think it makes for a more solid assembly. It's an extra step. It might mean a tighter box. Still, the conformat screws only would be an acceptable method assembly.

Both companies are good. It's just a question of the amount of customization needed. The more customized, the more likely you need Scherr's. If you have standard plans without too much going on, Barker's would be fine.

• redkev
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I used Barker cabinets for my full kitchen remodel (do a gardenweb search on redkev's kitchen). I also ordered and installed them in my dining room, and I am now considering Barker cabinets for my office. The quality of Barker cabinets for the money is hard to beat. I just did a price comparison for my office remodel, basically eight linear feet of base and wall cabinets. The base cabinets are all drawers and the uppers have doors except for a 9 inch open cabinet on each end. Here are the approximate price comparisons which includes all of the required pieces including toe kicks, end panels etc.

Ikea SEKTION (particle board boxes) $2400 plus tax and shipping

Allwood (Costco member discount) assembled (face frame and plywood boxes ) $3400 plus tax and shipping.

Allwood RTAs (plywood boxes with assembly required on the drawers) did not have the required standard sizes available for my layout and I decided not follow up on what the additional custom charges would be but I did price it out with a modified lay out to accommodate the available sizes $2650 plus tax and shipping

Scherr RTAs (45lb Industrial (particle) board boxes) with assembled maple dovetailed drawers $4600 plus $500 shipping (slab alder veneer doors and drawer fronts) Note the drawer choice offered by Scherr in my quote: I requested a quote from Scherr for the Blum MetaBox which I am sure would be a less expensive option than solid maple drawers. Scherr made the substitution stating that they no longer offer the Blum MetaBox.

Barker RTA plywood boxes, with assembled birch plywood drawers (slab alder veneer doors and drawer fronts) $4036 including shipping.

Having assembled and installed a large number of Barker cabinets with their high quality boxes and hardware, it is difficult for me to see the point in paying extra for Scherr.

On the poster above who mentioned that Barker does not use dowels, I actually consider this a feature. It is hard to imagine an RTA cabinet easier to assemble than a Barker.

For this project, I am leaning toward the Ikea because it is my office and I would like to keep the price down but if I cannot find the Ikea base cabinets in stock soon (no drawer base cabinets available right now), I will go with Barker. I just added a layout drawing to assist with the price comparison.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

What customization does Scherr's offer that Barker's does not?

• dcward89
    8 years ago

We used Barker's in our kitchen and pretty much nothing was standard...we were able to customize every single cabinet to the 1/4" for depth, width, height. The lack of the dowel has no affect on the stability of their boxes. Having put together a whole kitchen full of them, I feel confident in saying I can't imagine a sturdier cabinet than Barker's. I'm curious like crl...what does Scherr's do that Barker's does not?

• steph2000
    8 years ago

I'm so non-mechanical, I'm not good at this construction comparison thing. My partner, who is in the trades, was very impressed with the Barker construction on our sample door - but we did not have a Scherr's to compare to, either. I assume folks have seen the video of Chad Barker throwing his cabinets off of a roof alongside other cabinets, though? If not, it's kinda fun.

The only customization that I have gleaned from all of these discussions that Scherr's apparently offers and Barker's doesn't is the ability to have Scherr's painted in any SW color. I imagine there are more finish options for stains, as well?

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Okay, I'll take the bait. I used Scherr's. I could have used Barker's. They seem like a fine company.

I wanted communication. There were questions that I needed to answer. While I could type something to Chad Barker, I felt more comfortable with voice communication. It turned out that I encountered some issues with my plan. I liked being able to call Leon Scherr these issues and how to solve the problem. As we were assembling, we had other questions. Leon was a call away and always helpful. I wouldn't have gotten that kind of service with Barker's.

I wanted a professional to view my plans and translate them into all the little parts required to make this work. I was afraid I would miss something important. Leon provided that insurance. Not a single thing was forgotten. That service was worth money to me. Leon also advised me on a few items, such as making my refrigerator space a little bigger than specified. He was concerned that the fit would be too tight. He was right. That was worth the price alone. He also advised me about the best places to locate filler strips. These were services that made a difference for me.

I wanted painted cabinets, but if I had wanted stained Scherr's could do it. If I wanted plywood, I could have gotten that, too. At Barker's I would have to stain my own cabinets. In my case, the paint job from Scherr's was a superior finish.

The dowels were incredibly easy to use. I think the cabinet boxes with the dowels and screws will provide a tighter fit for a longer time over the screws only. Any wood worker will tell you that glue is superior to screws. I think Scherr's covers both bases on that count.

In the price comparison provided above by redkev, I would point out that the Scherr's cabinets are not particle board, rather they are a high quality MDF. MDF is not a step down in quality. The high quality MDF is more stable than plywood and as expensive a product. The comparison was made between maple hardwood drawers at Scherr's against birch drawers at Barker's. That may be a difference in price, too. Shipping costs, too. Either you hide it in the price of the cabinet or you make it a line item. You are paying for it either way. It just makes you feel good to think it's free.

For the person that is interested in price above all else, IKEA may be the way to go. I wanted a more custom approach with service. That why I selected Scherr's. I couldn't be happier with m decision.

• athomesewing
    8 years ago

We used Barker (natural cherry, finished) and are very pleased with the quality and the ease in putting them together. We agree with dcward89 -- it's hard to imagine a more sturdy cabinet. I would definitely choose Barker again.

Scherr has glowing reports as well, they have lots of choices: various box and drawer materials, hardware brands.

Barker cabinets are nearly totally customizable, however depth variations are offered in 1" increments. If something other than that was needed, contact them, they're fairly accommodating with requests.

• ci_lantro
    8 years ago

'Industrial Board' is particle board.

MDF is 'medium density fiberboard.

MDF is NOT 'industrial board.'

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

So I am hearing that the customization Scherr's offers that Barker does not is in the finishes?

• dcward89
    8 years ago

Just to clarify, Barker does offer the option of a high quality conversion varnish finish on their cabinets but the options for stain color are limited and they only offer 2 (I think) white painted options. It was not an issue for us because we loved the natural cherry but if their stain or paint options are not what you're looking for then I can see that could be limiting.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Yes, I agree that they offer two white options. I have sample doors in each, they are both pretty white, but I wanted white so I am quite happy with it. I'm just trying to tease out what customization Scherr's offers that Barker doesn't because that was a new idea to me. Thanks!

• dcward89
    8 years ago

Beyond that I don't know...I was curious about that too since it seemed the Barker customizations were practically unlimited. We're getting ready to order more Barker Cabinets for our built in entertainment center in the living room...nothing "standard" about the space but they will make them however we need them.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Isn't it great that we can argue about which company is the greatest. It's wonderful to find great resources. Good luck to everyone. The RTA experience is great.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Just to be clear, I'm not arguing about which is better. They both get very solid reviews on here. I just want to understand the customization assertion.

• Kimberly N
    8 years ago

If you look at Scherr's site, you'll also see a lot more in the way of door customization. They have different series of door designs, the option to use different materials for the panels, etc. (I found a lot of the variations to be a little old-school, but there are still a bunch of options). I think they may have more wood breeds, and for a fee they'll work with you on custom stain and such.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Crl, Here are a few quick examples: I wanted a slab drawer. I didn't have to take the stock slab drawer illustrated, I could choose the degree of edge of my slab door. Finishes would be another example, custom paint colors and multiple stain colors. At Barker's I was limited to two paint colors, and a varnish. If you need a custom range hood or valence, they can do it. If you want decorative corbels or feet, they do it. It's a custom cabinet shop that happens to provide RTA services.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Thank you for the further explanations!

• Larry De Villers
    6 years ago

Very disappointed in quality and workmanship. Employees evidently not trained to read a ruler. Miss calculations on measurements by 3/16 inches on doors and drawers. Not cleaned and finished sanding well, hinge placements varied 3/8 inch off. Wood grains on paneled drawer fronts running wrong way. Wow!!! What can I say but very poor quality for price we paid. Do not recommend to use this company unless you know nothing about quality. Also time frame on unfinished cabinet doors took approx. 2 months.

• lucas_tx_gw
    6 years ago

What do you consider wrong way for wood grain? Do you have pictures please?